Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Monday,November 18, 2019, 15:50:12

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

ched:
18 Oct 2019 11:25:16
Sounds good yama. Would love to see some images. 3d models sound cool too
yama:
18 Oct 2019 10:32:38
i might have to do a review. the 21mp camera is excellent at producing high quality 3d models for mapping.
ched:
10 Oct 2019 16:56:16
Show us some picys and maybe post a review in a thread?
yama:
09 Oct 2019 14:13:10
must admit this anafi is tiny and looks like a toy in a lunchbox but performs like a professional product.
yama:
09 Oct 2019 14:11:52
went ahead and bought one. about to find out if the 21mp camera improves photogrammetry surveys.
ched:
08 Oct 2019 17:14:17
Not tried a parrot anafi but I thought parrot were stopping 'drone' production?
yama:
07 Oct 2019 13:25:37
anyone tried a parrot anafi?
Gaza07:
26 Sep 2019 11:33:59
We know a song about that dont we  :D
Andy7:
26 Sep 2019 08:38:34
 :laugh:
Bad Raven:
26 Sep 2019 07:10:39
Adopts Australian accent "Black, that's not Black, its a dirty grey, THIS is Black........"   :D
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 197136
  • Total Topics: 19878
  • Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 47
Total: 48

Theme Changer

thumbnail

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Make your own Diversity Video Receiver

Started by teslahed, Saturday,March 15, 2014, 03:18:35

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

Saturday,March 15, 2014, 03:18:35 Last Edit: Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 21:10:48 by teslahed
My next mini project will be a diversity receiver unit.

I am following Bruce';s build instructions, full credit for the original design goes to Bruce at RCModelReview - thanks Bruce!

I have modified the layout to build it on pad board rather than dead bug style.

With components sources from here;

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/

More details to follow...
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Jimbodiddly

teslahed

teslahed

Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 14:30:12 #3 Last Edit: Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 21:13:51 by teslahed
It took me a few attempts, mostly due to my determination to build my diversity receiver on veroboard rather than using Bruce';s ';dead bug'; style. I could have built it dead bug style then filled the thing with epoxy to stop it short circuiting but i prefer the neatness of a ';proper'; circuit and it makes it easier to change things in the future if necessary;

It did take me 3 attempts to get the layout right - but i got there in the end :smiley:

teslahed

Well my fpv diversity receiver is now tested as working. But one of my two RC305 receivers is dodgy so i wont be using it until a replacement arrives from hobbyking in a week or two.

I was able to connect the single working video receiver up to one video input and then observe the diversity circuit switch to that channel when i also connect up the RSSI signal to the right RSSI input pin. Then if i swap the video signal to the other video input pin i lose my picture as the video input and RSSI input are both plugged into opposite sides of the circuit. Then if i also swap the RSSI signal to the correct RSSI input pin the opposite LED lights up and i get a video signal passed through again.

This is the best i can do to test with only 1 working video receiver. I can only hope that when i have two it will switch between them both in the right way.

I went for the delux option on the video receivers and ordered myself two of these;

So i';ll have a full 32 channel diversity receiver when it';s all working and done  ::)

powerlord

Nice :-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

teslahed

Col_M

Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 12:05:47 #7 Last Edit: Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 12:23:04 by Col_M
Bruce';s videos are really good and this simple diversity project is great!

However I';m looking forward to his other open source diversity controller that';s less simple which he has mentioned a few times.
I';d be up for doing a "group buy" from a PCB manufactuer when he releases the plans, usually the more you get the cheaper they are so I could order a few (20-30) and sell on the others at cost, it';s open source after all  :smiley:
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

teslahed

Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 14:13:34 #8 Last Edit: Friday,March 28, 2014, 00:08:16 by teslahed
I will also be interested in the more involved diversity receiver project and if you end up ordering enough bits to make a few give me a shout please - I';ll likely want to grab some off you if possible, thanks.

Personally i think bruce';s videos are great and very informative, even if i do occasionally feel like I';m back at school when watching them. He obviously puts a lot of time and effort into them and I hope he keeps making more ~~

teslahed

Well it';s all tested as working.

Except I';ve managed to blow one of my two receiver units:cry. I';m pretty sure i did something stupid with my soldering iron whilst i was trying to get it all working properly. But i';ve tested it all as much as possible using the bits i have and i think i';ll be fine when my replacement RC832 unit turns up.

And of course i will be fitting it all inside a nice box when it';s done.

teslahed

I';ve just got a second receiver in the post today so i';ve had a quick test of my diversity receiver;

It seems to work fine. I';ve just done another test with a helical antenna on one of the two receivers and it does indeed switch to that receiver when i point the helical towards my aircraft and then back to the omni directional when i point the directional the wrong way.

I';m assuming this means it';s all working fine :smiley:

Next step - get it neatened up and put in a box, then tested properly outdoors.

HowDoIfly

Excellent work and thanks for sharing this test, despite it not switching as you';d hoped. That "bias" of the omni stood it';s ground really, really well!
Ifly4 no more, Hubsan X4, R550v2, X650F-V4

teslahed

Second test of the diversity receiver - this time with a helical high gain directional antenna as well as a low gain omni.

Seems to do the trick :smiley:

teslahed

teslahed

Now with neater wiring and proper plugs!

I';m much happier with the way the diversity switcher seems to be switching in this latest test. I think using 2 similar receiver aerials and putting the low pass filter on the 5 volt power supply have helped since previous tests.

teslahed

First flight with the new diversity receiver;

Trev2971

edge of my seat stuff that was fair play  :sick: ....  ~~
TBS Discovery v1 Naza FC / 3d print gimbal
TBS Discovery NazeAcro £100 Special
Alien 500 clone Multiwii
Flamewheel
TBS Discovery Naze32 full
Tbs Discovery aq500pro fc
RCX mini naze acro
Blackout Mini naze acro
HK550 scratch mini nazeacro
building a carbon tri
Hubsan X4 H107L (2)
Hubsan 107D and 10

powerlord

Any chance of doing a detailed instructable. Com on that?  Looks great

teslahed

I';m going to have a go with eagletree on thursday evening to see if i can produce a neater circuit diagram (then neater circuit) and I';ll come back with more info hopefully after then.

Otherwise i just followed Bruce';s method and neatened it up a bit. The circuit is identical, just flipped around onto perf board, the inputs and outputs are the same - i just used a bunch of header pins (which i soldered to to make sure of the connection) to make things a little neater and easier to wire to.

I will rehouse the project into a smaller box soon but it';s just a question of holes for power in, video out and the two aerial connections.

I';m happy to answer any specific questions.

powerlord

Ah cool just watched Bruce';s video.  Actually I think I';ll put one together with an arduino mini pro as the comparators and just use the switches.  Since I';ve got them lying about. It also let';s you do more clever stuff say,  like only switch the signal after its stable for a period,  I dunno really... Prob some stuff there.

teslahed

I';ll be interested to hear how you get on with that. I might give it a go myself but my skills with the arduino aren';t good enough to do that by myself i think.

powerlord

There';s nowt to it.  Easier than what you';ve done. 

It has analogue inputs show you can measure the rssi directly.

And digital outputs to switch video.

Have a look through a few examples on arduino. Cc and you';ll see its a piece of p1ss

teslahed

It';s the lack of programming experience that will hold me back i think.

In terms of inputs and outputs, as you say;

2 x Analogue inputs for RSSI on the arduino.

2 x digital outputs on the arduino used to switch 4066 switching chip between the two video signals?

1 x 4066 switcher to take the two video signals in from the receivers and 2 digital inputs in from the arduino to output the best video signal to the monitor.

Seems straight forward enough.

If you have a go i might end up copying you / trying myself.

powerlord

Yup that';s it.  No advantage really.  But then you are free to code fancier stuff. 

Seriously you';ll see its a few lines of code only,  and the docs have full examples

Oakie

Chris thats some serious ups! the skills are overflowing. some super sling shots!

:cool: ~~ :frantic: :bounce:
Only when one looses sight of your toy does FPV become fun and against legislation already in place.

jamie16v

I saw this vid of Bruce';s a good while back and I am now thinking of ditching my antenna tracker project and go with a complex diversity system instead. I';m thinking of a 4 way diversity with 3 helicals on a convex surface at 120 degrees apart in order to get a wide directional coverage, considering if I am doing long range fights it will only be in one direction so no need to track behind me. Also a skew planar on the 4th port to get a good radius coverage. I plan to do all this in 2.4ghz with a 5.8ghz repeater to the goggles.
Thanks for sharing your effort TH, hopefully I can order all the bits soon and get cracking!