Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 27, 2024, 05:58:08

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Newbie - GPS / Failsafe/ Setting home

Started by cgcrute, Saturday,August 31, 2013, 11:13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

cgcrute

Patiently waiting for the bulk of my parts to arrive and I';ve been playing with the board. I';ve a question I can';t find answered anywhere.

I';d like to employ a failsafe for obvious reasons but cannot find any information whether you can configure it to automatically set ';home'; to be the Arming location or do you HAVE to manually set it?

Many thanks, in advance
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius
Runcam Sky (with servo adjustable tilt)

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

teslahed

You have to use your radio with your flight controller to set return to home failsafes on multiwii.

In the multiwii config code you can set the failsafe to make your quad go to auto-level then land (wherever it is) but it will not return to home first.

You would have to set things up so that switch high is return to home off, switch low is GPS return to home, auto-level, altitude hold, magnetomer on, and your radio so that when it loses signal it defaults to signal low. I am not sure if this would be possible with your radio setup or not.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

cgcrute

Quote from: teslahed on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 11:51:46
You have to use your radio with your flight controller to set return to home failsafes on multiwii.

In the multiwii config code you can set the failsafe to make your quad go to auto-level then land (wherever it is) but it will not return to home first.

You would have to set things up so that switch high is return to home off, switch low is GPS return to home, auto-level, altitude hold, magnetomer on, and your radio so that when it loses signal it defaults to signal low. I am not sure if this would be possible with your radio setup or not.

Thanks, I understand the tx/Rx failsafe bit. It';s the setting of the home location I';m curious about.
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

Biffa

As far as I can remember with the Crius, it sets home position on full GPS fix every time you power up.
Steve

Hands0n

The GPS_Home location is set when you Arm the flight controller.  Just remember when powering up to give sufficient time for the GPS to obtain a good 3D lock. Conventional advise is to wait three minutes before Arming and lift off.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

cgcrute

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 13:14:24
The GPS_Home location is set when you Arm the flight controller.  Just remember when powering up to give sufficient time for the GPS to obtain a good 3D lock. Conventional advise is to wait three minutes before Arming and lift off.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. From memory you can tell if you have lock from the ';C'; light on the board can';t you? Mine seems a lot quicker than 3 minutes, or does a good lock take longer?

ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

Hands0n

Yes - the C light says you have a GPS lock.  If you watch it in the GUI you may be able to see it go to 3D lock a short while after 2D. 

Also, if you have the newer CN-06v2 board it will successivly GPS lock quicker as it retains the last location before power off in its on-board memory.  I went from a CN-06v1 to a CN-06v2 and it locks on quicker and is way more accurate on the v2.
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

cgcrute

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 13:23:07
Yes - the C light says you have a GPS lock.  If you watch it in the GUI you may be able to see it go to 3D lock a short while after 2D. 

Also, if you have the newer CN-06v2 board it will successivly GPS lock quicker as it retains the last location before power off in its on-board memory.  I went from a CN-06v1 to a CN-06v2 and it locks on quicker and is way more accurate on the v2.

Mines a V2 (only arrived 2 days ago!), it';s accuracy seems incredible, it pin-pointed it';s location down to a couple of metres even though I was indoors. I';ve not tested it outdoors yet as the power components have yet to arrive so I am reliant on USB power!
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

Hands0n

If you want to have play, and you have the right cables, you should hook the CN-06v2 up to uCentre (download it from here http://www.u-blox.com/en/evaluation-tools-a-software/u-center/u-center.html ).  I saw it state that the GPS accuracy got down to 0.8 metres  ~~ - in the book it is claimed to be accurate to 2.5m, probably a conservative figure for marketing purposes.

--
Danny

cgcrute

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 13:47:16
If you want to have play, and you have the right cables, you should hook the CN-06v2 up to uCentre (download it from here http://www.u-blox.com/en/evaluation-tools-a-software/u-center/u-center.html ).  I saw it state that the GPS accuracy got down to 0.8 metres  ~~ - in the book it is claimed to be accurate to 2.5m, probably a conservative figure for marketing purposes.

Thanks, I';ll have a look although I';m guessing it will involve another lead?
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

Hands0n

Quote from: cgcrute on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 19:00:40
Thanks, I';ll have a look although I';m guessing it will involve another lead?

Err, yeah, probably, and a TTL to USB adapter too (always worth having for a few quid spend). But yeah, it will.
--
Danny

cgcrute

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 19:43:04
Err, yeah, probably, and a TTL to USB adapter too (always worth having for a few quid spend). But yeah, it will.

Thought it may... I';ll def check it out at some point but I think my bank manager would not be pleased if I spent anything else on this build!!

Are there any useful settings that can be messed with or is it a curiosity thing? (that doesn';t rule it out btw ;-)   ).
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

Hands0n

Typically you need uCentre, cable and TTL/USB kit to reconfigure the uBlox GPS for speed and GPS strings sent to the flight controller where it is an APM or Megapirate-NG firmware.  Out of the box the GPS runs at 9600bps (the FC needs 38400bps) and a full set of GPS strings. 

The tool and cable are often useful for other purposes also where you need USB to Serial which a lot of FC accessories use.
--
Danny

cgcrute

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 20:35:02
Typically you need uCentre, cable and TTL/USB kit to reconfigure the uBlox GPS for speed and GPS strings sent to the flight controller where it is an APM or Megapirate-NG firmware.  Out of the box the GPS runs at 9600bps (the FC needs 38400bps) and a full set of GPS strings. 

The tool and cable are often useful for other purposes also where you need USB to Serial which a lot of FC accessories use.

That';s odd, mine works fine out of the box. How do I check the baud rate?
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

cgcrute

Just looked in the sketch and it';s set to 38400.
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter

Hands0n

I didn';t originally have CN-06, it was some other brand of uBlox GPS so I had to get in there :-) I suppose the CN-06 is ready set up. I still had to run in that script to change the GPS data chiming to the FC. It doesn';t matter if you don';t but the additional data just takes up bandwidth.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

--
Danny

orfordness

My ublox from rctimer has worked straight from the pack, I';ve not adjusted anything and i';m getting 0.8m accuracy...

working on a "is not broke don';t fix it " policy!

Steve
DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
450 (Flamewheel clone) x 4
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

robshaw

Quote from: orfordness on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 14:35:29
My ublox from rctimer has worked straight from the pack, I';ve not adjusted anything and i';m getting 0.8m accuracy...

working on a "is not broke don';t fix it " policy!

Steve

How are you measuring your accuracy to 0.8m?

Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

QuadBod

Quote from: cgcrute on Saturday,August 31, 2013, 21:07:56
That';s odd, mine works fine out of the box.

It will, but it';s chucking a load of extraeous data at your flight controller, which then has to pick through it all for the useful stull. You aslo risk random repositioning in flight and on RTL due to SBAS shift if the first SBAS update is recieved after take-off.

Best to configure correctly for multi-rotor use:

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1177.0

(Can we get that pinned at the top of the AIOP section?)