User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Who's Online

Calendar

July 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 [31]

Author Topic: APM / MPNG config for u-blox NEO-6M based GPS (Crius CN-06 v2.0 etc.)  (Read 21235 times)

Offline QuadBod

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 89
This file is a NEO-6 version of 3DR's 3DR-Ublox.txt config file.

It was configured from scratch on a stock u-blox NEO-6M GPS, so shouldn't cause the errors seen using the 3DR LEA-6 version.

Like the original, it enables only the features needed by ArduPilot (Mega) / MegaPirate (NG) etc, minimising the overhead of both sending unused messages to, and processing them on, your flight controller.

Key settings:
  • Protocol set to ublox (binary)
  • NMEA child messages disabled
  • UBX > NAV: POSLLH, STATUS, VELNED enabled
  • UBX >CFG > SBAS : disabled
  • Measurement Period to 100ms (this gives a 10 Hz position update)
  • Filter to pedestrian (for more stable hover)
  • Baud rate is 38,400 (for compatibility with the default settings of most controllers). You can change this after applying the configuration if you prefer.

I recommend enabling "Autobauding" on the "Receiver" menu in u-center, as this will switch baud in u-center if your GPS is not currently set to 38,400 and it changes during uploading of the configuration.

Apply this configuration file with "Tools > GPS Configuration" in u-center, set retries to 2 (to let autobauding catch up), and select File >> GPS. Then "Receiver > Action" and click "Save Config" to commit it.

If you ever want to reset to the default configuration (perhaps to use with a flight controller that doesn't support the ublox protocol), click on the "View > Configuration View" menu, click "CFG (Configuration)", Select "Revert to default configuration", then click "Send".

Any problems or suggestions, please post here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:11:31 by QuadBod »

Online Gaza07

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 161
  • Liked: 396
    • Multi Rotor UK
I uploaded the 3dr version to my cn-06 v2 and it did have errors but once I switched to 38400 baud and re uploaded it there were no errors, so im thinking the errors where created because I didn't have auto baud setup, I will give your file a try with the auto baud setting and see how it goes, thanks for posting it  ~~

Online KK1W

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 55
Quad,

I received an FTDI cable yesterday from eBay, put together a cable this morning and updated my Crius CN-06 v2.0 with your file and instructions. Everything went perfectly, thanks a lot for creating both the file and the step-by-step instructions.  ~~

My first attempt, without checking the 'autobaud' item in the receive menu was full of errors. Rather than save that one I ran another upload with 'autobaud', checked, set retries to two and it worked like a charm (just like you said it would, did I say I suck at reading instructions?). Plugged the GPS into the APM, fired up Mission Planner and wham - GPS is up and looking good.

I'm glad I updated the GPS right away this morning. Once done you can't see all the cool stuff in the u-Center program. That's a good thing as I would have spent the rest of the day trying to understand all the different screens in there.  :banghead:

-15C and 15 MPH winds today - a good day to play inside with my toys :smiley:
Jim/KK1W

Offline QuadBod

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
Glad to hear that  ~~ - thanks for letting me know how it went for you!  If you ever do want to play with the other graphs in u-center (The "Sky View" is fun to watch if you leave it for a few hours), or to use your GPS with a flight-controller that doesn't support this configuration, it's easy to reset it. I'll update the guide with instructions.

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 19:45:18 by QuadGod »

Online Marty McFly

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 34
  • Liked: 119
Thank you Matt,for taking the time to write this,it will help a lot of people,MARTY. :scotland:

Online KK1W

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
Glad to hear that  ~~ - thanks for letting me know how it went for you!  If you ever do want to play with the other graphs in u-center (The "Sky View" is fun to watch if you leave it for a few hours), or to use your GPS with a flight-controller that doesn't support this configuration, it's easy to reset it. I'll update the guide with instructions.

Cheers,
Matt.

Matt,

Thanks for the update (how to reset) too! I actually may buy another GPS just so I can run it on u-Center for my techi geek friends when they come over. It could pay for itself quickly if it keeps them out of the beer fridge while they're playing with the program  :smiley:

Seriously though, one thing I've seen mentioned a few times is the possible effect of putting the gps in shrink wrap or an enclosure on the antenna. If you have the gps running on u-Center you can watch the effect and make your decisions based on fact instead of supposition. It's on my list to do - I'm new to this stuff so I'm thinking I need some 'crash protection' for my NEO.

Nice work Matt!
Jim/KK1W

Online KK1W

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
Re: APM / MPNG config for u-blox NEO-6M based GPS (Crius CN-06 v2.0 etc.)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 16:42:48 »
I had time on my hands today so I did an experiment with my u-blox Crius CN-06, v2.0 GPS. I reverted it to the default configuration, powered it up in the u-center application and after it achieved lock experimented with different environments around the antenna.

While looking at the satellite RX graph and the HDOP/PDOP numbers I tried the following:

Bare board sitting on the table
Bare board with ground plane underneath
Board inside heat shrink
Board inside heat shrink and on the ground plane
Board on ground plane with a little plastic dome over it (not touching the antenna)

I fully expected to see 'some' differences but my unscientific method yielded pretty much the same results. I guess the conclusion is we shouldn't worry too much about how we mount the GPS as far as the antenna performance is impacted. Getting it up and away from all the noisy electronics (ESC and APM) is probably the best thing to do.

Graphs are below for your viewing enjoyment :smiley: I should add the last one, even though it looks better, wasn't much different when I went back to a bare board. I had a phone call in between and apparently the satellite constellation improved. - now on to doing something useful before my wife comes home from work  ;)

Jim/KK1W

Online Gaza07

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Multi Rotor UK
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 22:27:32 »
I would of thought a ground plane would of made a difference did you connect the ground from the gps to the ground plane would that make a difference  :rolleyes:
I seem to recall reading some where that the ground plane has to be connected to the ground of the gps but I'm not 100% sure  ~~

Online KK1W

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 23:11:36 »
I would of thought a ground plane would of made a difference did you connect the ground from the gps to the ground plane would that make a difference  :rolleyes:
I seem to recall reading some where that the ground plane has to be connected to the ground of the gps but I'm not 100% sure  ~~

You know I didn't do that. Not sure what just a wire would look like as an RF ground at that frequency. I could use a short piece of braid instead. I'll try that the next time and see if it makes a difference - the way the weather has been around here there's not much else to do. It would be nice to try it outside too where there's a stronger/steadier sat signal but today was not the day for that!

More to come, some time.
Jim/KK1W

Online Gaza07

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Multi Rotor UK
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 23:18:13 »
Look forward to seeing your results  ~~

Offline rbreuss

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0

Cheers,
Matt.
Hi Matt, I have two questions:
1) How to make that change of configuration, to be all those graphs in Ucenter live again?
2) Why is SBAS (EGNOS) disabled? I thought, Europe is covere by EGNOS signal sufficient way. It doesnt improve our GPS accuracy?
Thanks
Radek

Offline QuadBod

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You

@rbreuss, there are instructions for resetting to factory defaults in the original post.

Regarding SBAS being disabled, the main reason is the effect of SBAS shift. It can take up to 5 mins for the first SBAS update to be received, at which point you multi will reposition itself accordingly (could be a several meter shift in both direction and height). This may not be desirable in flight, and could even be dangerous. Also for RTL, it won't land where it took off from.

Since we're more concerned with relative rather than absolute position, SBAS isn't particularly useful.

If you're happy to wait 5 mins for your GPS to sync before taking off, by all means re-enable SBAS, but I think disabled is best as a safe default.

Offline wildernessbob

• Thank You
  • Liked: 2
this link for the sketch doesn't work. is there a problem with it, or is it somewhere else?

Offline QuadBod

• Site Sponsor
  • Thank You
this link for the sketch doesn't work. is there a problem with it, or is it somewhere else?

I just downloaded it and it seems fine. What error are you getting? Have you tried a different browser?

Regards,
Matt.

Offline wildernessbob

• Thank You
  • Liked: 2
i get a 404
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL /git/libraries/AP_GPS/config/3DR-Ublox.txt was not found on this server. That’s all we know.