Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 27, 2024, 02:32:38

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Multi rotor size vs stability

Started by sausageroll, Saturday,December 29, 2012, 02:39:07

Previous topic - Next topic

sausageroll

Hi Everyone,

Most you will have seen the hexcopters ive built, they are great, stable, but big. I tried removable arms, to help pack them up to make them more portable. This worked from a mechanical point of view but its a pain in the arse from a connection side, connectors that can handle the current and are small enough and not very expensive (x6) are hard to find. The only ones I have found are normal XLRs, and they are only rated at 16amps, and they are quite heavy. There is also the concern that I may one day put the wrong arm in the wrong socket and the thing may spin backwards....

Im now wondering to make the thing easier to transport, I might make the arms shorter. I can probably chop a good four inches off each arm, save weight and negate the need for removable arms, which again saves weight. What im wondering though, will the smaller ';footprint'; reduce its stability? Presumably the further from centre the rotor is, the more leverage it has? If I make it smaller it will have less leverage, will this mean it cant react as quickly to wobbles? Maybe it works the other way, maybe it will be more stable with shorter arms?

Any advice would be great, if anyone has any insight,

Pete.

teslahed

Smaller arms will reduce stability. I';ll copy and paste a youtube comment (youtube comments - lol) I wrote on the subject;

Quote from: meIf everything else is equal then longer arms = more stability. The motors have more leverage to adjust roll / pitch with and you get more angular momentum as a result of the heavy motors being out on the ends of the longer arms which will resist changes knocking the quadcopter off course.

The result is the quadcopter will feel less jittery and unstable and be happier just sitting straight and level in front of your nose, but you';ll flip and spin more slowly and loose maneuverability.

I';ve messed about with a bunch of home made PVC quadcopters, all very similar except with slightly different arm lengths, and i';ve had 2 different flyduino frames flying with different length arms, but otherwise very similar hardware, all of which seem to support this hypothesis (Even if my second flyduino frame failed in the end as a result of my attempts to use cheap carbon fibre to make my own arms). So i';m pretty sure it does work like this.

Although with the naza flight controller i expect you';ll get a decent amount of stability with any kind of sensibly built multirotor.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

sausageroll

Ok what if I stagger the height of the rotors so they overlap? lol.

teslahed

I bet you';d get efficiency losses where the overlap was, and an interesting noise from the turbulence.

Other than that, no idea - sorry.

QuoteThere is also the concern that I may one day put the wrong arm in the wrong socket and the thing may spin backwards....

Number the arms and arm sockets?
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Gaza07

If its not broke don';t fix it springs to mind  :rolleyes:  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]