Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 00:51:30

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Flyduino Quadrocopter Frame Set

Started by teslahed, Monday,July 02, 2012, 14:03:17

Previous topic - Next topic

cryptout

Hi teslahed, reading this topic gives me confidence to start practicing flips! It';s really nice to see how you progressed to the level of control of your last video';s. 

teslahed

Glad you';ve found it helpful. I started out in March of this year (only this year for a few more hours!) although I';d been flying radio control flying wings prior to that for a few years or so, which are a really good and cheap way to learn the basic of rc flight as, unlike quadcopters, they are almost indestructible. Although anyone who';s previously flown rc helicopters is likely to find quadcopters easier rather than harder as i did - it was a very enjoyable challenge for me.

Just a quick update on my second flyduino with the home made carbon fibre arms; The project was a bit of a failure. The issue was the motor mounts - they were not secure enough and there was a rattle that i could never really eliminate, especially when pulling lots of Gs. Hollow carbon fibre doesn';t like being drilled through which is what i was trying to do in order to keep things as simple and as light as possible. All the work arounds i could think of involved adding more weight which kind of spoiled the whole point of using the lighter carbon fibre in the first place.

In the end my solution has been to buy the newer official flyduino warthox frame with the carbon fibre arms and centre plates;

http://flyduino.net/Quadrocopter-Frame-Set-20cm-arm_1

I have the parts in my hands already and i will be building it (and starting a new build thread) in the next few days or so. The quality, weight and finish is very nice.

Find yourself a nice field with long grass if you can to practice your flips over. If you crash at less than full speed and full power (i.e. cut power at the last instant and not in a full on nose dive) there is a reasonable chance you wont destroy the whole thing. I';ve had a few quite dramatic crashes that caused only minimal or zero damage in the past (and one or two that required almost total rebuilds :whistling:). If you';ve watched my videos you';ve probably seen a few little accidents - lol.

As always any advice i can offer on the subject I';ll be pleased to give - though you do appear to have a very nicely built quadcopter so i don';t suppose you';ll have any particularly serious issues.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

cryptout

That frame is very nice indeed. I can do basic flight now although my figure 8s are very sloppy :) I';ll do a few more days of practice and then if the weather is good (not to much wind like now) I';ll give flips a go. I';m prepared for a few crashes thats why I';ve bought two frames a spare motor and plenty of props! 

Tepaja

Hi teslahed. I like your videos, you can make it look so easy.
Have you tried fly acrobatics in + mode? Do you think it would be less response when there is only one motor to do the "job" when example doing flips?
Could you measure this picture dimensions? Because I would like to try quad in + mode, but NanoWii can´t be mounted directly to that frame in that position. I´m going to make adapter to that frame.

teslahed

I measure it as 63mm.

I';ve never flown in plus mode before. I';m not aware of any reduction in performance. I just prefer the look of flying in X mode - and it';s better for mounting cameras as well (prop doesn';t get in the way so much).

I would just use one of the regular flight controller covers;

http://flyduino.net/Coverplate-matt-black

and use something like double sided foam sticky tape to stick the nanowii down. The foam tape will add a little vibration damping, which definitely helps, and you can get the orientation you need for plus mode as well.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.