Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 19:16:45

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Ritewing Zephyr 2 build

Started by nub, Monday,August 11, 2014, 15:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

nub

just thought i';d make this thread incase anybody was interested and would maybe like to follow my build, its the 1st wing i';ve built as a few of will know so fingers crossed things will go kind of to plan, i don';t expect it to be a smooth build knowing my luck.

i expect it';s going to take me a good week or 2 to put this together correctly, i still have a couple of parts to order and shall be sorting them out at some point this week.

anyways on with the build and the 1st couple of pics! :laugh:

as you can see the kit is basic and theres a quite a bit of work to be done.

[attach=1]

1st heart stopping/hairy moment, cutting the space for the motor mount, gah

[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]

phew, looks not to bad, time to take a breather :laugh: i';ll update with some more pics once i';ve made more progress.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Oakie

What bit';s you still got to order?

not jelous at all ;)

Paul
Only when one looses sight of your toy does FPV become fun and against legislation already in place.

JT

Cool, I keep getting a recurring urge to buy a wing for fpv, don';t know jack about flying one mind.....lol. Be cool to see how you get on with it :cool:

dp106

Quote from: nub on Monday,August 11, 2014, 15:56:00
as you can see the kit is basic and theres a quite a bit of work to be done.
This is what puts me off getting one . They';re not exactly cheap and you just get a box of bits  and a not so straightforward build.  Too worried I';d make a complete pigs ear of it!  ::)

guest325

I';ve seen one of these flying (at our club) and have to say they are superb and have a great presence!
The thing to really pay attention to is the glassing of the leading edge and the covering, done correctly makes a world of a difference. I really hope you take your time and make a really good job of it, I';m sure you';ll really appreciate your efforts when you get it aloft!

nub

yup its not something i';m going to rush, although i';m chapping at the bit to try fly the thing i know things have to be done right, if not i';m sure it';ll show up in the way it flies.

@Qakie i have some HS645MG';s and 2 4S 3300mah nano tech packs on the way, i was going to buy the ritewing ESC and motor package today but i think i may have just bought a cheap 2nd hand z2 which has these included, along with servo';s and 2.4 vtx, postage will be a bit expensive but still cheaper than a new package and it';ll give me a wing to practice with until i finish this one, gawd she aint going to be happy :laugh:

the rest of the stuff needed (fpv camera, rc rx, 5.8 vtx) will be taken from my quad until i afford to buy 2 of each.

@JT/dp106 it was really putting me off at 1st too and it wasn';t an easy purchase i';ve been in 2 minds about since i';ve had the funds there to do it, then i finally decided to bite the bullet and give a go.

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

nub

finally got the chance to make a little more progress, i';ve joined the roots using uhu-por along with some CA and kicker to help keep things in place until the uhu sets, then i put a small bead of CA all the way around the join, its feels pretty solid :smiley:

[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]

i used 5 min epoxy to install the motor mount then i installed the main spars with gorilla glue using CA to tack them in place to stop them from floating when the gorilla glue foams up, next i installed the 2 glass firbe rods into the wing using CA. i let it sit for about 45 min and tidyed up the gorilla glue and water then stuck a bit of masking tape over it. i';ll take it off later when the gorilla glue sets, then i';ll add a final bead of CA.

[attach=4]
[attach=5]

the batterys arrived yesterday, i';m still waiting on servos, i';m not buying the other wing but i am getting the servos, rods, motor/prop, esc, vtx and ubec. i';m getting close to going over budget and still need to sort out paint, tape, laminate and an iron to put it on with probably.

i also need to find some where safe to put it, been thinking about hanging it on the wall to keep it out the way, oh and the wifes keeps asking when it';ll be done cos it looks crap :laugh:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

JT

Sounds like you keep an interesting selection of glues nub  :tongue:

mutley2

Great build, finished mine this summer and they fly a treat, I went down the 3s 10000mAh route, bit heavy but will fly for weeks at a time lol. Controller is a RVOSD but a storm OSD would be just as good and half the price. Mine has the OS motor and a stocky HK esc.
A pic of mine just after her maiden

And this is what I felt like after she back safe and sound hehehehehehe

nub

damn that looks really nice mutley hope mine finishes up looking as nice as that, suppose finally deciding on a design to go with might help :laugh:

any video of her in action?

Quote from: JT on Wednesday,August 13, 2014, 17:32:30
Sounds like you keep an interesting selection of glues nub  :tongue:

yes i do but no evostick :laugh: ;)
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

mutley2

Cheers nub, I have but my SSD drive died and I';m in the middle of a rebuild and will post as soon as I can ~~
Just a word on the build mate, you really need to keep everything possible in front of the CG, Zephyrs have fat ass and unless you want a ton of lead up front try to keep an eye on it.
keep the pic';s coming and enjoy the buld  ~~

nub

cool i look forward to seeing her in action :smiley:

yer i did read that it was rather tail heavy, i';ll be adding weight up front anyways as i';m going to be using a mobius for a while until it can be replaced with a go pro, some day :laugh: i';ll be making sure my CG is as close to spot on as possible before i even try to launch/fly it.

gawd the thought of the launch is rather daunting :laugh:

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

mutley2

Mine has a mobius as well, don';t worry about the launch as I worked myself up about it and turned out to be a total non-event, went off like a rat up a drain pipe!!!
Make sure you have plenty of reflex as well.