Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,May 10, 2024, 09:45:23

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Members
  • Total Members: 8,197
  • Latest: bluebat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,428
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 20
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

mutley's Twinstar

Started by mutley2, Saturday,August 02, 2014, 11:56:21

Previous topic - Next topic

mutley2

Well after the fun of a Zephyr build I thought I would have a go at some thing a little easier and quicker, and so the Twinstar sprang to mind :hmm: The build is very well covered on both LOS and FPV forums so I won';t give a repeat of it, all I would say is it';s very quick and you have loads of room for FPV gear.
The base spec for mine is EZUHF for control with a Tiny telemetry for tracking and 5.8GHz for VTX, have made a new antenna for this and it';s my best yet at a real -26db return loss.
Battery is 5000mAh 3s from my Zephyr and old Disco with a brushless motor set from Hobby King and a Cyclops Storm OSD/flight controller.
All in all nice and cheap and with a bit of luck the maiden will be this weekend if the weather and my wifey plays ball  ~~

nub

wow that is pretty damn cool!

how did you find the Zephyr build?
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

mutley2

Cheers nub, the Zephyr was a little baptism of fire really because I';ve built many fixed wing over the yrs but not out of foam, it was all about different build techniques for me. I';m happy with the one I built but there are a few things I would change and will build another one over the winter and pay more attention to placement of components in regard to the CG.   

nub

CG seems to be really important when it comes wings from what i';ve read about them so far, i';m thinking of trying to put one together myself but it';s a little worrying, i don';t want to mess it up :laugh:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

benno

go for it, i';ve trashed a couple of bixlers and building a caipirinha currently - great foam fun.

mutley2

The CG on a wing is very critical as well as the amount of reflex on the eilerons, had a hell of a job with the maiden of the Zephyr because of the lack of wind and she needed 10 clicks of up trim even with the amount I';d already put in. The they do fly very well and when matched with a RVOSD they are a real winner IMo.
This is one of the reasons I did the Twinstar as it';s a stock lay-out and very easy to fly (so I';m told)

Hands0n

Very nice indeed ~~

I';m half convinced you';re warming up for a trans-Atlantic FPV ::)
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

mutley2

Lol, now that would really be long distance!
I';m heading towards a scale/semi scale FPV B25 Mitchell or a DH Mossie, either of which would be very cool. I think scale FPV will be a big thing, with any luck.

mutley2

She flies  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) yippppeeeeee
Did a LOS maiden first thing Sunday morning about 6am just before the wind picked up, so far she will do about 30mins if I take the Lipo down to 20% which will give me plenty of play time ~~
Will do a FPV maiden this week and post vid, well chuffed...

nub

nice1 i look forward to seeing her in action :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

kilby

Quote from: mutley2 on Saturday,August 02, 2014, 22:15:48
Lol, now that would really be long distance!
I';m heading towards a scale/semi scale FPV B25 Mitchell or a DH Mossie, either of which would be very cool. I think scale FPV will be a big thing, with any luck.

The Mossie had better have the transparent nose (for the camera/bomb aimer) and a bomb drop mechanism to recreate the Amiens prison raid
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

brod

looking good Mutley..the twinstar is a solid plane and makes a real nice fpv platform....

mutley2

Cheers brod, must admit she a very easy plane to fly and with such a low wing loading she will take a lot more battery, she dam near just flew out of my hand on the maiden, a few clicks of trim and its straight to play time.

Kilby, the B25 would be more suitable for FPV because of the nose and the square fuse, but the mossie is just such a looker IMo. Keeping an eye on whats about at the shows, see what turns up :popcorn:

kilby

Guy in our club flies a Mitchell and it seldom returns intact and it often makes a break for it ;)

Nope it has to be a Mossie as they';re the coolest aircraft ever made (my uncle used to service them out in the far east)
Taranis+

guest325

Multiplex make very nice good quality planes, I';d rate the Twinstar as being one of the nicest (on my must have list along with the Gemini!), I';ve got an Easystar, a Mentor and a Funcub all which could easily be adapted to carry fpv gear, absolutely superb build quality and great value for money.
Looking forward to seeing fpv with yours, should be very good from a duration point of view!

mutley2

Well only had a few flights with the Twinstar and I hit a bit of a bump with my flying club of the last 25yrs, "sorry you can';t fly FPV anymore, so much bad publicity over drone';s we don';t want to be associated with them", I was a little shocked when I was told to say the least!!!
Time for a new club.

kilby

Taranis+

guest325

Typical knee jerk reaction!!!
How nice of them when you';ve been good enough to support the club for all those years!!!

Hands0n

Oh FFS! What is the matter with them?  Apart from being a complete overreaction to sensationalist media reporting it is just plain illogical and stupid to ban FPV. And a real shame that they didn';t put it out to the members for a vote, at least!.

Bah and Humbug
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

mutley2

What upset me most was the total lack of communication, I never got a chance to put my points across! I love FPV and always bent over backwards to show it in a good light, let people look though the goggles etc, will miss some good lads as I don';t think I will go back to fly LOS, very sad...

miniconverter

Quote from: mutley2 on Wednesday,August 13, 2014, 20:28:20
Well only had a few flights with the Twinstar and I hit a bit of a bump with my flying club of the last 25yrs, "sorry you can';t fly FPV anymore, so much bad publicity over drone';s we don';t want to be associated with them", I was a little shocked when I was told to say the least!!!
Time for a new club.

One word for them " ham shankers". Whoops that';s two

flybywire

As i said, clubs: shove ';em!
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

nub

eh wtf are they a bunch of old plankers or something? they sound a bit like some of the the guys i came across visiting my 1st club (that';s just a along the road from me) only to be told that heli';s weren';t liked and i';d best be looking else where if i want to fly it.

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Hands0n

Blimey @nub, that is atrocious.  Why does the BMFA even tacitly support such ill conceived snobbery.  Aviation is for all things that fly. The word does not relate to winged craft only!

Numpties!
--
Danny

nub

thing is when i was walking around the pitt,  some of the guys were quite interested in heli';s but said if you wanted to fly a heli there some of the members would make it very hard for you to do so.

the next club i visited was fine though, with a good bunch of people and mix of RC models, but in the end i decided it wasn';t for me, mainly down to transport problems as in i';d need a car to fly there regularly.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Hands0n

Quote from: nub on Wednesday,August 13, 2014, 23:34:35
... some of the guys were quite interested in heli';s but said if you wanted to fly a heli there some of the members would make it very hard for you to do so.

I find that so astonishingly disgraceful.  That clubs can be inhabited by such horrible and selfish individuals. I suppose that is their little bit of power, for what its worth, which is precisely nothing!

The more I read the more I feel I';m not missing anything much by not being in an established club.  I can only hope that some more enlightened fliers have a club that I haven';t yet come across locally.
--
Danny

Marty McFly

Shower of plonkers,lets hope they have plenty of firewood to have a bonfire,marty and the borrowed doggie, :scotland:

guest325

One of the clubs I go to forbid anything but Fixed wing, they are a bunch of sangtomonious old farts who even see electric power as tolerated rather than welcomed - but there again it';s 5 minutes away so I put up with it!
Name and shame - It';s http://thehalesowenflyers.webeden.co.uk/about/4579799359

teslahed

Quote from: DarrellW on Thursday,August 14, 2014, 07:15:04
One of the clubs I go to forbid anything but Fixed wing, they are a bunch of sangtomonious old farts

I';m going to be charitable and say they have a terrible photographer :laugh:
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

dp106

Quote from: DarrellW on Thursday,August 14, 2014, 07:15:04
One of the clubs I go to forbid anything but Fixed wing, they are a bunch of sangtomonious old farts who even see electric power as tolerated rather than welcomed - but there again it';s 5 minutes away so I put up with it!
Name and shame - It';s http://thehalesowenflyers.webeden.co.uk/about/4579799359
I think the ';webmaster'; should be fired for the state of that website  ::)