Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 15:23:08

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 26
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

New to multi rotors.. ? then start here..

Started by Jumpy07, Thursday,December 13, 2012, 11:31:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpy07

If you haven';t flown anything RC before then its tough to get started..  like everyone else I read as many forums as possible and asked a lot of silly questions, (nothing wrong with that). Here is a quick guide to getting started and how to approach it...

If you have flown a Heli or Plane previously.. then it is probably easier for you and at least you will now some of the basics..

A lot of people come on the forum and ask a common set of questions;

"Will this work ?"
"Does this kit look ok ?"
"Is this good value on Ebay ? "
"I want to get into FPV.. what do I need ?"
"What Flight controller should I buy ? "
etc etc  etc

I always answer....with some questions first ... what';s your experience ?, what';s your budget ?, what are you trying to achieve ?

A flight sim is a good place to start.. it does not require rebuilding every time you crash it... and will get you to grip with the controls.

A small ready built trainer is also a good idea.. lots of these around now.. complete with TX for @ £40.. Hubsan, V929, V939 ..  buy lots of spare props.. as you will go through them..

For a first full size multi... stick to a hardware combination that is common, that way you will get help when you get stuck and will also be able to follow others builds... the DJI clone frames are good in this respect..  parts are cheap and easy to replace..  Whatever you build first you will change or upgrade as you learn what suits you... and again buy lots of spare props, a spare arm or two and a spare motor.

Lots of new fliers.. post "I want to buy an Octo with X, Y , Z...to carry my expensive SLR....." well you are on your own with that.. and you're likely to  get pretty disillusioned setting it up.. and spending money replacing parts...  you will also break your expensive SLR...not a good starting point.. like any hobby some people have more cash to splash.. nothing wrong with that.. but no point in wasting money.

Most hobby and even professional fliers, build their own Multi';s, that way we know how to fix them when things go wrong.. nothing wrong with ready built kit.. but you will be paying a premium and may not necessarily get the best kit either.. there will always be a compromise.

Another common question is..  What Flight Controller should I use?   .. this is always difficult.. and depending on who answers you.. you will get a different response.. there is no right answer.. depends on budget and what you are trying to achieve, and how much time you have or like to spend tweaking....

If you post a message for help and its your first post.. then please post as much detail as possible.. ie: hardware, flight system etc etc..  there are so many variables is hard to answer some posts.. so if you want a quick response, provide as much detail as possible.   

One note of caution, most of the RTF and ARTF kits in Ebay are expensive and reading and learning as much as possible will save you a lot of your hard earned cash. That said there are exceptions to the rule.. so again ask for advice before you buy..

We are a friendly bunch here, and will offer as much help and guidance as you need,  so ask away..
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

teslahed

Just to add to the guide, one of the first questions we often get is ';why doesn';t it fly?'; and ';why does it flip when i try to take of?';. There are a bunch of common problems that most of us have run into at one point or another.

Do all the motors spin the right way? Your flight controller will give details, but usually the front left and back right turn clockwise, and the front right and back left turn anti-clockwise. Swap any 2 of the 3 wires that run from the ESC to the motor to reverse the direction of any given motor.

Do you have the props on the right way around? There are clockwise and anti-clockwise props, and you can put them on the right way round or upside down. It';s worth checking and double checking - if you have one on the wrong way around it will make a lot of noise and produce very little lift. You will learn to recognise the correct direction the prop should spin in based on it';s shape and sweep angle.

Have you checked the transmitter channels are not reversed? They may need reversing - you will have to hook your flight controller up to a PC or other display whilst the receiver and transmitter are running and wiggle the sticks to see if the bars move in the right direction.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Vidal

Cheers mate.
You guys here are a very friendly bunch.
Bought a hubsan x4 last week to learn on. Coming from a plane background I thought this would a doddle to fly. It actually takes some getting used to to fly it well. Great little learner.
Going to build a cheap clone from rctimer. Looking forward to the build. Although ill
Probably be pulling my hair out when I do build it. Lol.

endure

Are the ~$110 clones from rctimer good value for money? They come with frames, motors, ESCs and props.

guest325

Quote from: endure on Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 17:15:01
Are the ~$110 clones from rctimer good value for money? They come with frames, motors, ESCs and props.
They  are ok for a starter, but you still need the FC don';t skimp and buy the cheapest you can get your hands on!  KK2 is ok for what it is and costs but there are much better options - depending on how deep your pockets are!

guest325

The first one is more of an FPV frame, the second is a normal quad but they are both frame only.
If you don';t want to spend much to start with one of the best to get is the J P Twister quad, it comes complete and ready to fly for just over £40, it';s what I learned to fly with plus it';s cheap to fix when you have oops';s!
This was mine flying indoors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AQBGGGrPtA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
And outdoors with a key fob cam onboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpxi5wK31jg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

endure

Cheers - I';ll have a look. Whereabouts do you do your flying? Local park? Farmer';s field?

guest325

Quote from: endure on Tuesday,September 24, 2013, 18:53:37
Cheers - I';ll have a look. Whereabouts do you do your flying? Local park? Farmer';s field?
Local park, free space and flying club fields; with my Twister I used to fly in the street and park but only on calm days.

fruitsalad

they also great for indoor flying chasing the cat  :laugh: ::)
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

endure

endure

I';ve no intention of looking at any threads that will persuade me to spend more money for at least a week   :blink

endure

Arrived today. I managed to do a flip in the garden - completely unintentionally  :o

Dark_Knight2310

Hi.  I am knew to multi-rotors but have owned flown several helicopters.  I plan to build up a F450 kit gradually and buy bits as and when I can.  I was wondering what I can expect to pay for the radio system?  I see that there is a Futaba 8J for sale on here for £120, so around half new price.  Is that overkill for what I want or is it good?  I must admit it';s the controller that is giving me the most confusion outof all the bits and pieces.  Any advice most welcome!!

Many thanks,

Steve

Friskle

Quote from: Dark_Knight2310 on Monday,September 07, 2015, 21:21:23
Hi.  I am knew to multi-rotors but have owned flown several helicopters.  I plan to build up a F450 kit gradually and buy bits as and when I can.  I was wondering what I can expect to pay for the radio system?  I see that there is a Futaba 8J for sale on here for £120, so around half new price.  Is that overkill for what I want or is it good?  I must admit it';s the controller that is giving me the most confusion outof all the bits and pieces.  Any advice most welcome!!

Many thanks,

Steve

When it comes to the TX, my opinion only of course, The TX is "The" main thing, i prefer the Hitec Aurora 9, though i also have two DX6 Black editions, though the DX black atm, is currently around 95 quid, imho, thats a bargain, its a very good TX.
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

guest325

Whilst I agree with Friskle about the quality of the  tx/rx';s he';s pointed out I would also recommend this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=65911
I also own a dx7 and Aurora9  both of which are pretty much faultless  but so is the i6, it was purchased for "throw in the car" foamy planes but is no longer restricted to them because it is a very good tx!

Rango

Ok so as a super noob who doesn';t have any grasp of any of the acronyms or short hand, can someone tell me the basic difference between Tx';s set to either mode 1 or mode 2 . (Tx is the controller in your hands right lol?).

mev

Mode 1; Throttle and yaw are on the right stick, pitch and roll are on the left stick.

Mode 2; Pitch and roll are on the right stick, throttle and yaw are on the left stick.

So for the two different modes the sticks are effectively switched to opposite sides.

The choice of which you use is purely preference. It seems from my involvement in quads that the majority of people prefer mode 2.

If you have never flown either you just pick one and stick with it. Ha ha, sorry I';ll get my coat.

Rango

Ok cool, thanks for the speedy and clear response. My little hubsan is set to mode 2 then, and that just feels right to my hands/brain lol. Cool good to know.

Dippi

Hello, Am totally newbie to this hobby.
I tried to order a f450 kit and thought it would be easy, it turned out a disaster, it came with a kk 5.5 board, couldn';t configure the esc to work with it, then had ordered a spare apm 2.8 had multiple arming problems, never was able to calibrate my RC. finally reading a lot of posts etc decided to order a Naza m lite FC, waiting for it to arrive and new esc.

My parts are as follows 30a xxd esc linear.
Flysky fs6 TX and FS ia6b Rx
Soon to arrive Naza m lite FC
mate xt60 PDB
motors a2112 1000kv
1045 rotors

Please can anyone send me a detailed pictures or how the wirring between the RX nada and esc work. i have downloaded the manual gone through the videos and there is a lot of conflicting stuff out there.

Thankyou

hoverfly

Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

betty

wittekonijn

Hallo
new here and looking to flash a KK2
with aero2 software
i have trying to flash the aliexpress KK2  with aero2 or kaptienkuk software but get always the same error
problem with the fuses

the programmer is setup richt and the programming software is working like ik should but it is going wrong with the programming of the kk2
curently software in the kk2
HW ver.2.1.x
EW ver .1.19S1.pro
steveis

regards raf

volans

I bought a 2nd hand quadcopter (hand built). Then acquired a Turnigy 9X radio, intending to replace the existing receiver which is a frsky X4R. The +, - and signal wires are soldered on but also there is a 4th, yellow wire soldered onto the board. I've sent a couple of emails asking for some info but, as yet, haven't had a reply.
  I realise this is a a bit vague, but has anyone an idea what it could be for, and could it be left disconnected? might be able to get a photo if it helps.

ched

Quote from: volans on Wednesday,October 03, 2018, 14:06:14
I bought a 2nd hand quadcopter (hand built). Then acquired a Turnigy 9X radio, intending to replace the existing receiver which is a frsky X4R. The +, - and signal wires are soldered on but also there is a 4th, yellow wire soldered onto the board. I've sent a couple of emails asking for some info but, as yet, haven't had a reply.
  I realise this is a a bit vague, but has anyone an idea what it could be for, and could it be left disconnected? might be able to get a photo if it helps.
:welcome:
OK so there are many many combinations of components. I believe the Frsky X4R has telemetry so the 4th connection is probably for that but I am not very familiar with FrSky.

By all means start a new thread and post some picys showing what you are trying to do and the make and model of the components. I am sure we will be able to help get you in the air.
I try :-)

Cheredanine

As ched said, on an x4r you will have connected 5v, ground, sbus and smart port telemetry. The first three connect to the main pins on the reciever, the fourth is typically connected to the small socket on the edge

Bad Raven

Quote from: volans on Wednesday,October 03, 2018, 14:06:14

You can pull the full documentation from the Frsky website.