Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,May 29, 2020, 13:52:36

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

LiamHowe89:
29 May 2020 11:00:54
Banggood fairy for me... tonne of new standoffs  :laugh:
badger1:
27 May 2020 12:12:26
the HobbyKing fairy has been bearing LiPo's   :D
Gaza07:
27 May 2020 01:13:50
You have to say 6 like Eugene off the Preacher   :D
LiamHowe89:
26 May 2020 17:34:23
I see  :hmm:
Bad Raven:
26 May 2020 13:56:11
You have to say "six" with the right accent..........
Andy7:
25 May 2020 23:14:08
We have very high standards here you know.  :cool:
ched:
25 May 2020 19:49:45
:welcome: Liam
LiamHowe89:
25 May 2020 19:05:32
Yes... I'm daft. I can now spell 6. :laugh:
LiamHowe89:
25 May 2020 18:24:33
Guys, new here but am I being daft? I can't post a new post because apparently I don't know how many props a hexcopter has... got to be 6 right? Cheers!
ched:
25 May 2020 13:21:10
Not seen one AtomicLama. Sounds interesting
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 198468
  • Total Topics: 20014
  • Online Today: 28
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 14
Total: 16

Theme Changer

thumbnail

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

15" OR 12"?

Started by Brian, Thursday,December 13, 2012, 10:07:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I';m getting an RCT800 frame for Xmas, and am wondering weather to go for 15" or 12" props. If I go for the 15" option I know it will be a lot more expensive for the 320KV motors and the 6s Lipos etc. than the 12" option.

Here';s the frame...
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=809&productname=
I';ll be using it for AP, and generally flying around sounding like a whole bunch of angry bees etc. It will need to be able to carry a fairly decent gimbal, and camera in the future. The frame is pretty light weight (if that helps.)

Does anyone here have an 800mm frame? And what size props/motors do you have?

A shopping list for both options would be great too!!

I am also going to be buying a Sausagecopter Hex frame in the future, and would like to be able to transfer most of the kit straight over to keep the costs down.

Thanks guys,
Brian :wack0

P.S. I think I';m trying to build a sort of airborne tank! I don';t know why!

eyeflying

Hi Brian - yes, I';ve got an 800 frame to which I have 12" Carbon Fibre  props fitted. The motors are 530Kv Disc motors running off a 3 cell Lipo (25c 5500 mah) - the escs are 30amp Multistars. This configuration comfortably lifts a gimbal and compact digital camera (and a heavy one at that!)

If you go for 15" props and use 320Kv motors and a 6 cell battery, remember you';ll also need 40amp esc';s - and be careful because not all 40amp esc';s support 6 cell batteries. I';m just about to build one like this myself using some 320Kv motors I bought a while ago.

The biggest problem I found with an 800 frame is getting your flight controller set up to be stable. For example, I';m using a Naza on the Hex described above and I';m still fine tuning it and I can';t quite get it stable yet. DJI don';t recommend the Naza on an 800 frame (obviously they want to sell the Wookong). I must admit, with the Naza its still proving difficult to stabilise

Brian

Thanks mate, I';ll be using a Naza on my hex build. I heard that there will be a firmware update soon, maybe that will sort the problem out? I am increasingly thinking of going for the 12 inch option, but want some pretty good motors for it I may go for a couple of 5s to power it. Which ESC';s would you recommend for both builds though? I am still a multirotor and RC noob, but I';m learning a bit at a time!!

Thanks again mate,

XH558

I am by no means an expert - but when I went over to Naza I was using cheap escs and was advised by someone who uses Naza in an aerial photography business that the cheaper end of the esc market may not be able to cope with the higher signal speed of the Naza and to use decent escs like these ...
http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-30a-opto-esc-245-p.asp

Yes they are more expensive - and I see currently out of stock - but these are the ones I now use and they are fine  ;)

Brian

I';m thinking of using the SimonK ESC';s from RCTimer...
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=850&productname=

Would they do? They are cheaper, but I';m using the 20A ones on my quadcopter with no problems.

teslahed

Thursday,December 13, 2012, 12:11:00 #5 Last Edit: Thursday,December 13, 2012, 12:16:00 by teslahed
If you buy decent ESCs from hobbyking (like the F30As) and flash them with the simonK firmware then they will run at the same speeds as the DJI ESCs with faster throttle response for much lower costs. I don';t know of any serious fliers who still use the standard firmware on their ESCs after trying the SimonK firmware, the improvement is that noticeable. This is the reason the KK2 had problems before they got to version 1.5 of the firmware - the guy developing the board obviously knows his stuff and can build a decent quadcopter and SimonK ESCs are all he flies with. Obviously it slipped his mind that there are bound to be a bunch of new fliers out there for whom flashing their ESCs isn';t the number 1 priority. 

https://github.com/sim-/tgy/blob/master/README.md (SimonK Readme file)

The only advantage the DJI escs have is that they are an ';OPTO'; design that adds some short circuit protection i believe. RCtimer have just released SimonK ESCs that are also OPTO rated though;

which i expect would perform just as well, if not better with the sharper throttle response, and are quite a bit cheaper too.

There are a whole bunch of DJI sales people who would have you believe the DJI ESCs are the best things going - they really aren';t, and they are overpriced. Still - they are probably a better bet than some random cheap unbranded ESC from china that can';t be flashed with the improved firmware, so if you really don';t want to mess with that side of things and don';t trust RCtimer then they may be your safest option. They definitely aren';t the best option though.

QuoteI';m thinking of using the SimonK ESC';s from RCTimer...

Would they do? They are cheaper, but I';m using the 20A ones on my quadcopter with no problems.

They look ideal - rated for 6 cells as well as opposed to the DJI ones that only go to 4 cells. 
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

shaktar

If you look on the S800 page on rctimer they list what they use, the HV40A(2-6S) you linked are the ones on the list also with HP4114 350KV and 15" props

Brian

I was just wondering if anyone has a better system. I am New to this whole thing, and want to take advice from experts rather than someone who could be just trying to sell the more expensive kit :)

Gaza07

I would give these a go Brian as you can also go 6s at a later date if you wish to  ~~

Quote from: Brian on Thursday,December 13, 2012, 12:08:13
I';m thinking of using the SimonK ESC';s from RCTimer...