Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,June 02, 2020, 21:00:09

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

badger1:
02 Jun 2020 18:52:22
shoutbox doesn't like ampersands for some reason
badger1:
02 Jun 2020 18:51:54
and it was more like a 100m fall  :o
badger1:
02 Jun 2020 18:50:36
lol - checked my logging
badger1:
02 Jun 2020 11:52:29
@Liam - no, absolutely fine.  had another couple of flights with it afterwards -  :laugh:
LiamHowe89:
01 Jun 2020 21:23:22
Ouch! Any breakages?
badger1:
01 Jun 2020 19:55:02
failsafe from 100' into a cornfield  :angry:  thank fck for telemetry!  :smiley:
LiamHowe89:
29 May 2020 11:00:54
Banggood fairy for me... tonne of new standoffs  :laugh:
badger1:
27 May 2020 12:12:26
the HobbyKing fairy has been bearing LiPo's   :D
Gaza07:
27 May 2020 01:13:50
You have to say 6 like Eugene off the Preacher   :D
LiamHowe89:
26 May 2020 17:34:23
I see  :hmm:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 198549
  • Total Topics: 20018
  • Online Today: 29
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 19
Total: 22

Theme Changer





thumbnail

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Salutary lesson ...

Started by XH558, Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 22:25:07

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 22:25:07 Last Edit: Thursday,November 29, 2012, 11:24:46 by XH558
The wind died a little this evening and the rain stopped so I had a quick dusk flight to see the new LEDs glowing ... very impressive - held it';s own in the remaining wind which was a tad gusty -  I';ll do a video when I have more time ...

The orange and green props glow nicely as the LEDs show through their arcs and in the middle of the flight I noticed a green one was tracking wrong - first high then straight then low ... so fearing I was about to lose a prop I landed and took it in the man cave ...

I had carefully tightened all the props before the flight - and checked all the cable ties and bolts on the motor mounts so was a little surprised to see the tracking issue ...

But what I found really DID surprise me ... the motors have a shaft that sits inside a collar that then has the mounting bolt holes in it - the collar is attached to the shaft with tiny allen grub screws and on the one motor the grub screw had totally gone - so all that was holding the motor in was the 3 wires  :blink :blink :blink

The motor was REALLY loose ...Never thought to check those grub screws .... replaced the missing one and checked the other 5 ... 3 were very loose and one a bit loose and one still quite tight  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Something else to check each flight now  :whistling:

Smeagol

As you say a salutory lesson, but surely you';ve heard before that you have a screw loose  :evil

Well spotted, could have had disastrous results, and a reminder for all pre flight checks.

teslahed

It';s quite often the case that new motors arrive without the proper amount of thread lock on the grub screws. Gary has recommended to me before that you should unscrew the grub screws from your motors and reapply threadlock before tightening them up again - before the first flight. I check new motors for this now - I';ve spotted a few that were not all that well held together.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Smeagol

Quote from: teslahed on Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 22:44:46
It';s quite often the case that new motors arrive without the proper amount of thread lock on the grub screws. Gary has recommended to me before that you should unscrew the grub screws from your motors and reapply threadlock before tightening them up again - before the first flight. I check new motors for this now - I';ve spotted a few that were not all that well held together.


Just added threadlock to my shopping list, what about lube for the motors, is this necessary and if so what is used

Gaza07

I had quite a bit of trouble with my shafts coming loose but a prescription of blue thread locker soon fixed em  :rolleyes:  ~~

Smeagol

Quote from: Gaza07 on Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 23:03:16
I had quite a bit of trouble with my shafts coming loose but a prescription of blue thread locker soon fixed em  :rolleyes:  ~~


I had blue on my list, not sure why blue as opposed to red ....

What about lube

XH558

I think I';ve got some kicking around somewhere in the cave ... question is where ??

That';s the trouble with so many Lurpak tubs ... it';s in one of them ... but there';s so many to check  :frantic:

Gaza07

Blue can be removed where as red is kind or permanent  ~~ talking about lurpak you havent seen Smeagol lurpaking around in chat  :rofl:

teslahed

Quote from: Smeagol on Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 22:53:35
Just added threadlock to my shopping list, what about lube for the motors, is this necessary and if so what is used


Get the blue (medium strength) threadlock - you don';t want the permanent stuff. Different colours denote different strengths.

I';ve never really needed to lube any of my motors. If anyone else knows stuff about this I';d be interested to hear. 
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Gaza07

As far as I know all the bearings used on these little motors are sealed both sides so I doubt you can lube em  :shrug:

Smeagol

Quote from: Gaza07 on Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 23:47:19
As far as I know all the bearings used on these little motors are sealed both sides so I doubt you can lube em  :shrug:


Does that apply to ALL of these brushless motors, or how can I identify if lube is required.

Gaza07

I can only assume they all use sealed bearings, I suppose if you can see the ball bearings then splash a bit of oil on em, but if there is a shield there isn';t much point, even if the back of the bearing was open you wouldn';t be able to get to it to lube it  ~~

Smeagol

Quote from: Gaza07 on Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 23:57:22
I can only assume they all use sealed bearings, I suppose if you can see the ball bearings then splash a bit of oil on em, but if there is a shield there isn';t much point, even if the back of the bearing was open you wouldn';t be able to get to it to lube it  ~~


Ok that makes sense, one of the videos I have viewed, the guy added lube with a squeeze bottle and a syringe needle