Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 14:17:45

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

5dBi Patch Antenna for FPV Goggles

Started by Gav, Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 18:01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Gav

Just got myself a VRX for my FatShark goggles and came with a free 5dB Patch Antenna. Saved me making another skew anyway. 

Apparently the typical range for this antenna is a very comfortable 1.5km on a 200mw transmitter,  but it only has a 110 degree coverage.

See how it goes,  will report back on video reception once have used it a few times.

Couple of pics

Cheers
Gav

benchmark

Gav , seeing that you have a Fatshark can you please advise me. I am contemplating buying the complete Fatshark Predator V2 set, they claim that its a complete set so can i just smack it on my quad and use it out of the box or do i have to buy some addons?

Gav

Hi mate

Well as long as you get a camera, vtx, vrx, aerials etc then yeah you';re good to go.  Goggles need 2 or 3s lipo 500 to 1000mah will fit in the head strap.  You can tap power from transmitter too with supplied cable.
I have the Dominators which apparently have a better display.  I';ve not compared specs. I was recommended the Doms over the preds but the doms don';t come in a rtf kit like the preds.  Hope that is of some use to you, matey?

benchmark

Thanks for the response. I am currently trying to learn as much as i can before i buy the wrong or substandard stuff. I can see that most people use gopro cameras but i will be happy to use something smaller if it works just as well. I read somewhere that the cam can be powered from the balancing socket of your copter batteries, is this correct?

icedfusion

I was also recommended the dominators and I have them too.

Back to topic. You will be pretty brave to have a go with a patch antenna on the goggles! You will have to ensure you fly within your Rx window of 110degrees.

I have almost all the parts I need for my ground station - so will begin yet another write up (have to finish the other quads I am doing first as well!!).

ice.

teslahed

Quote from: icedfusion on Wednesday,November 28, 2012, 20:13:21 Back to topic. You will be pretty brave to have a go with a patch antenna on the goggles! You will have to ensure you fly within your Rx window of 110degrees.

I was thinking that myself - if the quadcopter is loud enough that you can hear it, it should be fairly straight forward to make sure you are pointing your head the right way - otherwise it could be anywhere!
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Gav

Yeah will put a skew planar back on if this patch doesn';t work as well.  I made a skew earlier to go on a 2nd model, so will use that...it';s just the faff of taking aerials off and swapping around.  Will get round to making another skew when I get hold of some more 0.6mm mig wire.  Got some SMA connectors already.  They';re nice to make, but take a bit of patients and a steady hand lol.

homersainty

how did you get on with that patch antenna? looking at getting one myself
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

Gav

Well it works fine with the type of fpv I do (fairly close within 500m normally)  I did find I had to turn my head a little every now and again to get a clean signal reception.

I will try some more but because I already made myself a skew I normally use that.

Balders

I use one of these type, although I did not buy it from there (and def not at that price!)

http://quadcopters.co.uk/58ghz-high-gain-patch-antenna-189-p.asp
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

Gav

Balders

Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]