Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 09:16:25

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 28
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Spider quad

Started by Smeagol, Saturday,November 17, 2012, 01:47:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeagol

Quote from: DarrellW on Wednesday,December 26, 2012, 11:52:40
Not sure about the 9x but regardless, have you set your travel on both ends of the stick? If you';ve not then you may default to 0 travel in the direction you';ve not set up.
Went back to basics, realibrated the tx, recreated the mixer section for the AETR.

My battery was getting low so I took a break and it';s recharging.

One observation is that on the display of the 9X if I move the left stick to each corner the small square doesn';t appear to go right into the corner in a couple of places. On the other stick when in the corner the two outer lines overlap so appear blank, but on the left stick I see a square touching the corner, is that a problem. (hope that makes sense)

So heres my sequence from all OFF:

power on tx (shows error throttle not idle) this was also in the setup vid I used, the guy just pressed exit twice to ignore!!!
batt connect  on quad
RX is steady green so looks bound
Naza led goes through startup cycle - green THEN it starts flashing red continuously

Should I hookup to assistant or is there something fundamentally wrong first.

I';m really hoping a good samaritan can relieve me of this problem. It could and is most likely user error, i';m as green as can be on this topic, but coupled with determination and enthusiasm.

Smeagol

I went ahead and connected the naza to the pc, and after a couple of attempts and writes, was able to calibrate as this picture:

I disconnect the usb lead and the naza led flashes yellow, any ideas  :frantic: :help:

Balders

Quote from: Smeagol on Wednesday,December 26, 2012, 16:35:34
I went ahead and connected the naza to the pc, and after a couple of attempts and writes, was able to calibrate as this picture:

[smg id=109 type=preview align=center width=400]

I disconnect the usb lead and the naza led flashes yellow, any ideas  :frantic: :help:

Can';t see the picture, but flashing yellow normally indicates switches are in RTH position.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

Smeagol

I uploaded the image to photobucket.

I have no switches configured on the TX, and wouldn';t know how to yet either  :shrug:

teslahed

Just to double check; have you calibrated the sticks and potentiometers on the transmitter itself?

ER9x Stick and Pot Callibration

the first time i set my er9x up i did it wrong and i was getting strange effects along the lines you describe - the throttle was going down to half and no lower, for example.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Smeagol

Yep went through it a few times, I can only assume its all ok now as I have centred all pots and the display on the er9x shows the stick positions in the right places when I move, and the naza calib seems to be ok. I still think it';s a switch definition I need.

I noticed I can export the settings from er9x, is an import an option from a working quad owner using same er9x in case I am doing something wrong or not doing something I should be.

teslahed

I will be around later this evening to help with setting up the 3 position switch etc in the er9x firmware, but in the meantime;

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide#Edit_Mix

If you scan through the ';source'; options (where you see ';AIL'; on the picture shown) you';ll find ';3POS'; is there, that';s what you need to select.

Smeagol

Cheers Chris, I had a look at the info, the initial mixer screen is what I have done so far on mine.

I';ll look forward to chat later if you don';t mind talking me through it. Won';t be on till around 9 though as I am doing chauferr again.

Smeagol

Well whoopy doooo .....  ~~ another step closer

With a big thankx to Chris for helping me setup the 3pos switch I now have the naza control mode switch working as I believe it shoudl be.

up - Fail safe
mid - A
dwn - GPS

OK, so when I disconnect the USB lead here are the led indications dependant upon switch position:

up - continuous flashing yellow
mid - R R R Y - repeating
dwn - R R R G - repeating

Is it Naza dance time  :huh - peeing down outside or I would have tried anyway.

I';m sure this will mean something to the naza clan ...  :help:

Balders

great, sounds like you';ve made giant steps today.

Well done Chris for helping someone out. Above and beyond.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Well whoopy doooo .....  ~~ another step closer

With a big thankx to Chris for helping me setup the 3pos switch I now have the naza control mode switch working as I believe it shoudl be.

up - Fail safe
mid - A
dwn - GPS

OK, so when I disconnect the USB lead here are the led indications dependant upon switch position:

up - continuous flashing yellow
mid - R R R Y - repeating
dwn - R R R G - repeating

Is it Naza dance time  :huh - peeing down outside or I would have tried anyway.

UPDATE:

took it outside during a very short spell of no rain

R R R G became G

tried to arm ... and got G G R

I';m sure this will mean something to the naza clan ...  :help:
[/quote]

homersainty

to do the naza dance you gonna need a man setting on that 3 way switch as you need to switch between man and gps 5 to 10 times to enter calibration mode  i would use the failsafe setting atm as you wont be needing that until properlay setup anyways and you can change it back to failsafe after the dance  all your light patterns sound right when you tried  to arm ... and got G G R i suspect you just lost a satellite G G R indicates only 5 satellites in gps atti mode did the motors spin when you tried to arm it ?
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

Smeagol

Cheers Homer, in my haste to avoid getting me and the quad wet the GPS was dangling precariously, so not surpisingly it would have lost a sat.

There was no activity at all when I tried to arm it.

Have I knackered the Lipo, one of the cells went to 2.7v, didn';t have the beeper attached  :angry:

I';ll reconfigure the switch temporarily as you have suggested, then i';ll do the calibration and see if I can get it to arm at last.

Just need to mount the GPS top plate and the rest of the Naza and RX first, then to find a way of mounting the landing skid.

Balders

yup, that';s good for a bucket of salty water only I';m afraid :(

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Well heres where I am at after a lot of help this morning.

Got off to an early start, full of enthusiasm, todays the day (well not yet  :angry: )

Fixed the Naza in place and mounted the GPS platform

Main view

[smg id=123 type=preview align=center width=400]

A little neat from the side - need longer screws and spacers

[smg id=124 type=preview align=center width=400]

Config and arming ......  :banghead:

Tx, ESC  and Naza calibration done
power on tx
power on naza

It goes through it';s little startup colour show BUT according to the manual there should be FOUR green flashes, mine only does THREE
It then changes to a slow yellow flashing.

If I try to arm using the TX, the flashes change to double yellow

Found a guy with exactly the same problem on a different forum, he just said it was fixed - no solution  :o
Didn';t want to sign up just to send a pm - my loyalties lie here  :whistling:

So ... can anyone help me with this stage  :frantic:

Balders

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Thanks Balders, I';m not getting the 4 greens, or the bleeps that you are getting from the motors.

Balders

Quote from: Smeagol on Friday,December 28, 2012, 22:00:02
Thanks Balders, I';m not getting the 4 greens, or the bleeps that you are getting from the motors.

Hmmm, no sounds from motors....that sounds VERY suspect, like your esc';s are not wired correctly.  Not being silly or anything but have you by any chance got your main power either not wired in or pos/negative the wrong way round?

ESC';s should beep when powered up, even if not plugged into naza.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Quote from: Balders on Friday,December 28, 2012, 22:39:00
Hmmm, no sounds from motors....that sounds VERY suspect, like your esc';s are not wired correctly.  Not being silly or anything but have you by any chance got your main power either not wired in or pos/negative the wrong way round?

ESC';s should beep when powered up, even if not plugged into naza.

I was very careful, but I';m not infallible, so i';ll strip it all down and check.

Here are a couple of vids to help diagnosis

http://youtu.be/ESNnGeyP_xk

http://youtu.be/a8AN2yVzlD8

Balders

For comparison I';ll power mine up tomorrow with the throttle partially open just to see if it does the same. From your rx have you just got 5 channels connected? Have you tried unplugging your 5th (gear?) channel? Other thing to try, unplug the gps module and try it without. I would at least expect the escs to beep.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Have spent all evening with Gaz and Chris (thanks guys), now suspect the TX due to throttle max min values not being 100 and -100. Although I calibrated to fool the tx into seeing those values but the calibration still didnt work. The motors play a tune but no beeps.

a work in progress

teslahed

Unfortunately at this point i';m a bit stuck as well. It is possible you';ve received a faulty transmitter - though i wouldn';t give up just yet.

I don';t understand why altering the travel in the menu (mixer screen - 5 of 10) doesn';t alter the travel you';re seeing the transmitter output at all. Reducing the travel to 30% on any given channel should result in significantly less travel on that channel - if you aren';t getting this effect then something is wrong, maybe a software/firmware problem.

Reflashing the thing with a slightly different version of the er9x firmware is worth a try, hopefully someone else will come up with some more suggestions, or we';ll think of something else tomorrow.

Balders

Smeagol, looks to me that your esc';s are connected upside down!
They should be white at the bottom, black at the top!

This is a photo of mine...

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Gaza07

ooops hope he hasnt had the lighter fuel out, and I know I shouldnt laugh but I cant help it  :rofl: :rofl:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

teslahed

Quote from: Balders on Saturday,December 29, 2012, 14:14:41
Smeagol, looks to me that your esc';s are connected upside down!
They should be white at the bottom, black at the top!

This is a photo of mine...

It does look like that to me too, from the picture you';ve posted balders. I hope i haven';t messed anything up getting him jumping through hoops trying to fix the er9x if the problem was elsewhere. Good job someone had a second opinion :beer2:

Balders

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Quote from: Balders on Saturday,December 29, 2012, 18:26:08
Dr Balders is in the house ;)
Hey Doc you';re a star.

The manual has a small picture that indicates -ve at the bottom, your diagnosis is contrary but it works  :notworthy:

Ok, next issue, how can I calibrate these ESC with this damn Turnigy 9x, as I can now arm them, but they start at different throttle levels

1 @ 4 on arming
2 @ 45%
1 @ 55%

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Oh and i';m still getting 3 greens on naza startup  :help:

teslahed

I am honestly at a loss as to why simply plugging each ESC directly into your receiver';s throttle channel (one at a time, obviously) and following the standard ESC calibration routine doesn';t seem to be having an effect. I';ve never had an issue getting ESCs to calibrate the way you seem to with my er9x.

You';ve seen my video;

http://youtu.be/DfTdCVwZYHQ

The process is simple and there';s not much that can really go wrong. If your throttle channel is set to 100% travel (or near enough) then it should just work. You';ve tried adjusting the throttle trim up to the very top just to try and get the signal ';over'; the thresh hold and that hasn';t helped either.

If anyone else has any ideas at this point I';d love to hear it.

It does seem like the issue now is that the ESCs need calibrating, for the reasons you say :(

Balders

I was going to suggest (you always think of these things after you';ve gone to bed) to plug esc into elevator channel, hold elevator to max, see if it calibrates. Eliminates a dodgy throttle pot.

Another thing to try is, if you have a servo kicking around, plug that in to rx throttle port, see what range of movement it has, then compare that to say elevator or rudder.

Also a servo will give you a visual clue as to when you are making adjustments to end points/trims etc.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Smeagol

Quote from: Balders on Sunday,December 30, 2012, 10:40:39
I was going to suggest (you always think of these things after you';ve gone to bed) to plug esc into elevator channel, hold elevator to max, see if it calibrates. Eliminates a dodgy throttle pot.
I was reading more after you went also, started thinking about dodgy pots and soldering, was this thing made on a Friday  :shrug:

I also created a new model on the TX last night, tested still same, set the weights to 125% still no joy.

Just tried using model 02, plugged the ESC into ch2 (ELE) unfortunately it didn';t work either, exactly the same response - 4 dodgy ESC  :hmm:

When I move the trims, there is a small slider on the display, it moves but when I go into the "ANA" screen it only shows max 100 to -100 range.

Just in case soldering new wires on to the ESC';s had banjaxed them in some way, I just took the spare Motor and ESC I have, soldered conenctors on the existing wires and tried completely seperate from the quad, exactly the same result.

Is the RX not bound before the motor tries to calibrate .... powered the RX with a seperate UBEC first, green led on the RX (pretty much immediate anyway), then connected the motor, and yep same result.

I am totally new to RC so anyone reading don';t assume anything, it could well be something so simple that people aren';t considering.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: