Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,April 23, 2024, 19:51:11

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,426
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 36
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Bixler v1.1 build

Started by Col_M, Saturday,February 01, 2014, 21:09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_M

Here';s my Bixler 1.1 build  :smiley:

First thing I did was fitted machined 9g servo mounts for the rudder and elevator. I carved out the foam first so it wouldn';t sit proud and the servo would be in it';s normal position. Next the mounts were stuck in with gorilla glue.

Servos fitted, as you can now see the servos can easilly be unscrewed and replaced. Probably a good idea with cheap plastic geared servos.

Test fitted the two halves to make sure the servo arms cleared each other.

I wanted the vertical and horizonal stabilisers to be removable, I';ll do that by holding them in with nylon nuts and bolts. I started off with glueing two nuts into the vertical stabiliser. The cavity between them is for the head of another bolt that holds the horizonal stabiliser too.

Cut a slit in the horizonal stabiliser and gorilla glued in a carbon strip.

Added a carbon strip into the vertical stabiliser too.

Next I used gorrila glue to put carbon strips into the grooves of the two halves. This will make the tail incredibly stiff in the up-down plane.

I will also be adding two strips perpendicular to those on the sides of the tail too to give stiffness in the left-right plane. The reason I chose this method over a single carbon tube is that it';s actually stiffer dut to increasing the second moment of area. It';s the scientific reason why larger diameter tubes bend less than narrower tubes and why I wanted to get the stiffening material as far out as possible from the centre of the tail. I used strips rather than tubes as well because each pair only needs to resist bending in one axis  :smiley:
Here';s a cross sectional diagram

Next I test fitted the motor, machined mount and prop to make sure it all fitted together. Niiiiice  :cool:

It was time to glue the two halves together with gorilla glue.

Next up, glued the motor mount in. I took an age lining it up as if it wasn';t straight my motor would be off to the side if I used the upper motor locations, I popped some hot glue on the edges while the gorilla glue dried to hold it in place.

Now came test fitting the removable tail sections. I still need to trim the bolts and I think I may sink and glue the washers into the foam so the heads sit flush.

And she';s done

I also put a channel behind the cockpit for the ESC leads to go down in but I didn';t need to show you that, I';m sure you know what a cut channel looks like. The ESC up there should get some good airflow too :smiley:

Full specs:

Bixler v1.1
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
Turnigy 2826 2200kv motor
4x TG9e servos
2x Small Parts CNC 9g Servo mounts
Small Parts CNC motor mount
9x4 prop
FrSky X8R Rx
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

guest2350

nice work  ~~ I want to get a bixler to add to the fleet once I built my son a quad!.. bixler would be better for longer flight times I think? :tongue:

Hands0n

A lovely build there Col_M - I picked up a few good ideas for next time or enhancing this build.

I am a bit worried about airflow around the motor on mine. Its such a snug fit, and I had to fit a backing plate in the motor mount that completely blocks any airflow through that.  Thinking now I may need to cut into the foam cowling so as to allow some air to channel in behind the motor and also open up the aperture it is within. Hmmmm  :hmm:

When does she maiden?
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

dp106

A very meticulous build, there well done. Wish I had the patience to do all that.  Where do you get the carbon bits from? Hobbyking??

Col_M

Thanks folks,

Quote from: jamie16v on Saturday,February 01, 2014, 21:14:36
nice work  ~~ I want to get a bixler to add to the fleet once I built my son a quad!.. bixler would be better for longer flight times I think? :tongue:
Yeah, it all depends on the battery size, motor power and prop really but planes have the potential to stay up much longer due to being able to glide and only having one motor  ::)

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,February 01, 2014, 21:22:19
A lovely build there Col_M - I picked up a few good ideas for next time or enhancing this build.

I am a bit worried about airflow around the motor on mine. Its such a snug fit, and I had to fit a backing plate in the motor mount that completely blocks any airflow through that.  Thinking now I may need to cut into the foam cowling so as to allow some air to channel in behind the motor and also open up the aperture it is within. Hmmmm  :hmm:

When does she maiden?
I was thinking about the airflow to the motor too, the inlet is taken up by the ESC wires, I may cut a duct in somewhere too depending on how warm the motor gets in flight.
Not sure on the maiden, it';s a bit blowy out right now so I may have to wait until I can get to my brother';s place in Wiltshire where I';ll have more space.  :smiley:

Quote from: dp106 on Saturday,February 01, 2014, 21:25:53
A very meticulous build, there well done. Wish I had the patience to do all that.  Where do you get the carbon bits from? Hobbyking??
I love tinkering and have the patience to take a couple weeks thinking and waiting for parts :)
Carbon bits are from here - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LaptopConnections/Strips-/_i.html?_fsub=4115680012&_sid=56575772&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
CNC parts are from here - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/smallpartscnc/

I was particularly impressed with Small Parts CNC, the parts aren';t all that expensive considering the quality and shipping from California took from Sun-Mon for only £3.80, not bad.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

dyls

:smiley:
Looks good.

There';s some good stuff over on the rcgroups forum (hobbyking) on the bixler range.
Some have put a vent hole and air scoops on theirs.
I see this is being considered.

I personally don';t think you';ll need it.

There';s some servo location mods which I would do, if I built a Bixler1.
The servo';s are installed much closer to the tail, this helps master CofG.

There';s many more mods as well.

Have fun and I also look forward to news on how you get on.

:popcorn:
Dyl

Stay safe
Dyl

ZMR250+Naze-acro,Turnigy 9x, (FPV) Phil built (FLYAWAY)
550      +APM         ,    "-"       ,   "-"   Peter built
X525(Cut to 400)+KK2+Futaba 6EX (Crashed)

guest325

Nice bit of fettling there, this is what makes the difference with any artf from HK or any manufacturer; generally speaking the models are made to a price not to a quality level so fettling is par for the course if you want a really nice model!