Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 14:14:22

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Disaster strikes

Started by XH558, Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 11:40:21

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

Been struggling with camera vibration - Got a magnetic prop balancer and I laboriously balanced the props .... added some more foam to the cheap (MD80) camera mount and don';t know why but I reduced the gains slightly in the assistant ....

Went out in the garden to have a post balance trial and I was gobsmacked - it was so much more stable   :wack0

It will actually just sit in one place and not move - never achieved that before - always needed to keep tweaking the sticks to keep it in one place.

The video was running and I was confident enough in it to start walking around it as it hung there so I could talk on the video at the ';front'; .....

As I';m at the front suddenly my mobile phone rang in my pocket and in my attempts to retrieve it - with the TX down by my pocket all relaxed like - I knocked the TX sticks against my leg and the quad flew backwards into my workshop wall and crashed to the ground snapping off 2 motor mounts   :angry: :angry:

Nothing electronic damaged .....so that';s it I ain';t fixing it ... it';s an omen to start building a hex   :laugh:

Funnily enough I';ve ordered some Carbon Fibre Square Tube http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9012__Carbon_Fiber_Square_Tube_750x10_5mm.html and it';s on it';s way - and I';d already ordered 2 more motors and they';re here - so I';ve stripped the quad right down - taken out the escs and motors and the NAZA and I';m now in the design phase of a new Hex.

I aim to use the Carbon arms and then ply centre plates with nylon spacers and clamped motor mounts as advised on here http://quadframe.com/collections/sp/products/mm01 - I can re-use my KK power distribution board for the escs as that will take 6 - so that';s ok.

I need to get some funds together to add 2 more OPTO 30 escs so will be cutting and building first - and adding other stuff as I go ...

Oh and BTW - the video of the final flight is still very shaky - even with the props balanced and the extra foam ....  the lines seem very wavy going top to bottom and I wonder if there is an element of electrical interference ... just a thought .... maybe post the video later this evening .....
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

XH558

Video of the flight with the props balanced and better foam under the camera - still pants quality video - but it is a cheapo MD80 camera :rolleyes:

Then the final demise  :shrug:

Demise

Oh well - hex next  :cool:
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

Gaza07

Its always the same you spend ages getting your copter flying nice and really start to enjoy it then, something happens either dumb thumbs or something fails and bang, all that hard work and patience is gone and your pride and joy is twitching on the floor looking far worse for wear  :cry

Your video still has terrible vibes in it and after reading your post about how well your copter flew and also hearing how sweet it sounded in flight, it leads me to believe either your camera is just not up to the job or your mounting it on to much foam and allowing to much movement, I would suggest you try attaching the camera using just velcro and maybe an elastic band but just velcro on its own should be fine and take another video, if your still seeing the same amount of vibes dump the camera,

I hope the hex build goes well for you and dont forget to take some pics as you build it  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

Gav

lol shouldn';t laugh - we';ve all crashed, but I have never gone to answer the phone while flying lol.  That was a nice crunching sound as it clobbered the fence.  Like the way you immediately take it into the man cave repair shop.

XH558

:rofl: :rofl:
Yes I';ve never moved so fast .... looking over my shoulder in case SWMBO was looking from the kitchen window .... ;)

I also noticed that as I came into my workshop there is a glimpse of my Eolo helicopter hanging in the roof - my SlowStik wings (I haven';t flown that in ages)  and my 1/10th scale Spitfire lying there awaiting some attention....

I love my workshop  :cool:

I';m battling with Coreldraw at the moment trying to draw a hexagon  ...

My 10mm square Carbon tube arrived today ... seems very strong and very light - but it';s struck me just how small 10mm is ..... I wonder if it';ll flex?  May have to brace it perhaps ... mmmmm

Gav

I';d say 10mm is ok for a light weight hex with simple design and not carrying a heavy camera.  Keep it simple to save weight is your best with 10mm tubing and it should fly nicely.

Balders

my hex is using 10mm pine and it';s just fine.

Re dampening camera vibes, my best results came from using blu-tack.  Helps secure it in place (bit of tape over the top to make sure), is easily re-positionalbe, and it dampens vibes really well.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]