Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 18, 2024, 19:59:19

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

launching aerial video company

Started by jbates, Tuesday,October 23, 2012, 08:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

jbates

I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you a bit about how I ended up here.

I recently decided to focus my efforts on starting an aerial photography company based on Multi Rotor UAVs. For me this is the perfect combination of my 15 years experience in film and television plus my passion for all things radio controlled. At this stage I';m researching like hell to try and mitigate the risks and form a great team to help with this. My platform of choice will be the Cinestar 8 with a fully gyro stabilised gimbal. The camera will be either the Red Epic or Canon 5D MKIII depending on the shoot. I understand that this is going to be a tough project with many learning curves but I do believe there is a huge market for this content.

If anyone here would like to get involved it would be great to talk. I';m going to need to connect with experienced pilots as a top priority so do get in touch if you are experienced in professional work and want more. We';ll be operating out of Surrey in the UK.

The team on a typical shoot will be made up of 1X pilot / technician, 1X camera Op (me) and 1X assistant (for more complex projects). Each person will be paid on a freelance day rate.

If any of the above sounds like fun then drop me a line and let';s talk.

Regards, Jonathan.

secretman

i can help for setup nd theorical ,but for from canada why this always are far from my home lolll

Balders

First thing you need to be aware of is anyone involved in aerial filming "for reward" needs a specific CAA certification.  I';ve been teaching a guy locally to fly who is sitting his exam later this month, and his practical a month later.

I think it';s called something like CNUK or something like that.

My friend has a Mikrocopter...there';s a number of video';s of it in the Mikrocopter section if you want an idea.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

jbates

Hi Balders, that';s correct it';s called BNUC-S. You then use this to get "permission to fly" from the CAA. Anyone we work with will have to have this. I am going to take this exam shortly as well.

Do you do training on a regular basis? I';m asking because i';d be interested in taking some training ahead of this. I';d be happy to pay for your time if you like?

Jonathan

Balders

Would be glad to help, but unfortunately I don';t live in England :)

The guys on here will be more than happy to help with theoretical stuff I';m sure.  I know Mikrocopter also comes with a simulator, I imagine Cinestar will have much the same.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Gaza_07

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the forum it looks like you have done your home work and know exactly what is involved to set up a commercial UAV business,
If you intend to pilot the system your self and want to learn to fly you might consider setting up a small hobby type quad to practice with so your not risking your main aircraft as you learn,
There are a few members on here that may be able to help you along and maybe offer you some flying lessons  ~~  :welcome:

jbates

Thanks Gazza,

Yes i';m putting in plenty of sim time. I';ve been flying CP helicopters for a while so it will really just be a case of getting the feel for how such a heavy craft handles. I';ve ordered a full LED system for the Cinestar as I get the feeling the that orientation will be an issue. I also need to master complexities of the set up and new systems such as GPS flying.

If anyone is flying a similar craft it would be great to hook up to share some learnings.

J

Balders

If you';ve flown CP heli';s you';ll find the cinestar a doddle.  Obviously for filming you';re going to be flying much more sedately.  You will also probably find that the flight "aids" such as position hold, auto RTH and land, intelligent orientation control (should you choose to use it) make flying extremely easy.

I';m a Trex 600 owner...and the quads/tri';s/hexa';s I fly are so much easier/more relaxing. Well, apart from when I';m flying over the sea filming the surfers...I proper soil myself then :)

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

eyeflying

Hi Jonathan,

Interesting bit of background - very similar to mine in fact. My background is in film and video too (I';m out of it now as I sold my Company five years ago). However, it was the aerial filming/photography potential of multi rotors that re-kindled my interests.

I';ve looked at the Cinestar and seen most of the filming rigs on the market - they all seemed well overpriced to me but I really like the DJI Zenmuse Gimbal - I don';t think there';s anything to beat it... yet! although some of the other more experienced flyers here may know better

Gaza07

I have to agree with eyeflying the dji is going to take some beating, a few of the guys from the forum had a mini flyin and this is the video from the meeting

http://youtu.be/U5z4gcBQNaE
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

sausageroll

Hi Jbates,

Whats your background? Ive been in film and TV for ages, was a steadicam man for a few years, now I own a company making remote focus equipment, www.hocusproducts.com

Pete.

Gav

if you can stomach the CAA qualification costs, like to take a little risk, love RC and are skilled at RC flying then this kind of thing will be a walk in the park for you.   All the best!  It will be an excellent way to go to earn a bit of cash.

jbates

Thanks for all the feedback (great community spirit here).

I have to say that the DJI Zenmuse Gimbal is looking very stable in that video. My key problem with the S800 / Zenmuse combo is the current lack of compatibility with my primary choice of cameras. I need this footage to be of broadcast quality and I don';t think the Sony Nex cams will give me this. Technically the Canon 5D isn';t HD broadcast quality but it';s generally well excepted in the industry plus the new ALL-I compression on the MKIII is a big step towards full broadcast quality. We';re all hoping that a Magic Lantern update will give us a Pro-Res format too! The Red Epic is of course way beyond the minimum tech spec for HD broadcast.

My current quote for a Cinestar 8 with a 3 axis radion stabilised gimbal is coming in at around 8.5k. I';m also setting aside an additional £2k to get me through the CAA qualification. It costs around £700 for the ground tests and around £300 for the practical. I';ve factored in the possibility of failing these at lest once (hoping that will not be the case and can spend the addition 1k on parts).

Sausageroll, my background is in TV production, Post production and Digital content. It';s fair to say that my production experience well exceeds my experience in professional flying. That';s why i';d really like to partner up with some great pilots who can help on my first few jobs. I';m not new to flying but i';m not at pro level.

sausageroll

jbates

Balders

Just make sure you fly with an analogue weight first, like a house brick. 

Will you be using FPV gear to view what the camera is pointing at?  Will the airframe be flown LOS with a camera controller? 

Best of luck, sounds like you are approaching it sensibly enough.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

jbates

Sounds like a good idea - I WILL cry if I break my camera.

I won';t be using FPV gear as I will be keeping the craft within close range (CAA forbids flying beyond unaided visual range). I will always work with a third party camera operator who will have control of the gimbal.  Is anyone else on here running a similar business?

sausageroll

Will be soon, me and my hexaxopter partner have been in pro film for years so diversifying now, building our own hexcopters and gimbals for red cameras and dslrs

Balders

I was thinking for fpv, as much for the camera operator, rather than the pilot, to frame shots for the main camera.  That';s I think what my mikrocopter owning chum is going to do.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

BYOD

Quote from: jbates on Wednesday,October 24, 2012, 09:15:24
Thanks for all the feedback (great community spirit here).

I have to say that the DJI Zenmuse Gimbal is looking very stable in that video. My key problem with the S800 / Zenmuse combo is the current lack of compatibility with my primary choice of cameras. I need this footage to be of broadcast quality and I don';t think the Sony Nex cams will give me this. Technically the Canon 5D isn';t HD broadcast quality but it';s generally well excepted in the industry plus the new ALL-I compression on the MKIII is a big step towards full broadcast quality. We';re all hoping that a Magic Lantern update will give us a Pro-Res format too! The Red Epic is of course way beyond the minimum tech spec for HD broadcast.

My current quote for a Cinestar 8 with a 3 axis radion stabilised gimbal is coming in at around 8.5k. I';m also setting aside an additional £2k to get me through the CAA qualification. It costs around £700 for the ground tests and around £300 for the practical. I';ve factored in the possibility of failing these at lest once (hoping that will not be the case and can spend the addition 1k on parts).

Sausageroll, my background is in TV production, Post production and Digital content. It';s fair to say that my production experience well exceeds my experience in professional flying. That';s why i';d really like to partner up with some great pilots who can help on my first few jobs. I';m not new to flying but i';m not at pro level.

I have a number of customers which use the S800 with GH2 and NEX7 who work with the BBC and other TV stations and the footage is fine to use, a few years back I would have been the first to bolt on a massive camera, however the new smaller cameras put out a great image and less weight = more flight time. There is a big shift to smaller cameras now, look at the number of GoPros which are used in TV shows, the next camera I talk about is the RED';s and have a few people asking after Black Magic cameras too, I think you will be the best person to know what will work for you and where you want to be, I thought I would just let you know that big DSLR';s are not always a "best option". Over the past few months I have built many pro systems for customers, and not one of these systems was to carry a DSLR's. When we are talking big productions you will need an Epic, that is another story & about £70k of kit!
[url="https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk"]https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk[/url]

sausageroll

Yes the NEX is fine, and the new one (NEX5n i think) is good too, and there are magic lantern firmwares for them as well.

We got a scarlet to stick on our hex (as soon as simon lets me), theres really no need for the epic in my opinion.

I have been offered a black magic camera to fly, i dunno when we are gonna try that.

BYOD

The Epic only comes up every once and a while, I have yet to see one being used! The Black Magic has had a lot of mixed reviews, however the price point makes it a good option for us that could not make it all the way to Epicland. As I said before these small cameras are really starting to turn out outstanding videos and photos, I think it will not be long before we see a DSLR as being old tech like a film camera, I will miss the sound of the "mirror slapping" when the day comes!
[url="https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk"]https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk[/url]