Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 16:39:32

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 17
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Leisure Batteries

Started by Royston, Saturday,October 19, 2013, 13:52:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Royston

What rating do most people use for charging lipos in the field?
75, 85, 100AH etc??
Cheers
Roy

guest325

Get the biggest one you can afford, no substitute for excess capacity - another tip for you, if you can fit it in your budget get a pv panel to charge it with as well - we have one at our club, battery is permanently on charge, never lets us down!

Royston

Cheers Darrell
What';s a pv panel though ?
:hmm:

guest325

Photovoltaic, commonly and wrongly called solar panels. Have a look for them in the caravan or marine accessory suppliers alternatively if you live in a fairly windy area a small wind turbine is good.
I';m working on a design for a pv panel control system that tracks the best source of light hence best charging capabilities for use at home to power my battery charger and led garden lighting system.

Royston

guest325

Once you';ve broke even with the purchase charging or powering becomes free!

Royston

I like it Darrell depending on outlay.
Googling as we speak
:beer2:

JerryCampbell

A wise investment. And free electricity is great.
Everything we have is solar powered as you can see from the top of our bus.
Jerry

Royston

Thanks Darrell.
Does it need to be 100w to be efficient enough as seen smaller/cheaper ones??

guest325

The 80W ones are quite a bit cheaper and would easily do battery charging, the 100W does my lighting as well!

Royston

Cheers
How long would it take to fully charge say an 85AH battery using an 80W panel??

guest325

At 12 volts from an 80W panel you will get about 6A (allowing for any losses so it will be 85/6 hours roughly.

Royston

Cheers Darrell
More research then
Thanks again

kibi

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am fascinated with solar / wind energy. Earlier this year I set up an off grid solar system upon my workshop roof. It works quite well, I have not used mains electricity in the workshop since May.
My system is way bigger than what one would use in the field, but the principals are the same. At least I can say that my quad is truly solar powered provided I charge the batteries in the workshop. :)

Here is a link to the build details if anyone is interested.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/solar-powered-workshop-take-two/

I record my daily harvest here.

http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=21185&sid=19064

Live data can be seen here.

https://xively.com/feeds/611817707
DJI F450 : CC3D : SK3 2830 - 920KV : Turnigy Plush 30A (SIL) flashed with BLHeli v10.4
TBS Disco + Homebrew Core : Naza M V2 + GPS : iOSD Mini : 880KV Arducopter Motors : Turnigy Plush 30A (SIL) flashed with BLHeli v10.4 : D8R-II+ : 4S 4000mAH Battery
Turnigy 9XR, ER9X FW, FrSky DJT

guest325

Quote from: kibi on Monday,October 28, 2013, 21:07:38
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am fascinated with solar / wind energy. Earlier this year I set up an off grid solar system upon my workshop roof. It works quite well, I have not used mains electricity in the workshop since May.
My system is way bigger than what one would use in the field, but the principals are the same. At least I can say that my quad is truly solar powered provided I charge the batteries in the workshop. :)

Here is a link to the build details if anyone is interested.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/solar-powered-workshop-take-two/

I record my daily harvest here.

http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=21185&sid=19064

Live data can be seen here.

https://xively.com/feeds/611817707
Fantastic, with that sort of setup you could easily power some of the house as well; I think at some stage I would like to get into bigger panels and contributing to the house supply but not just yet.

kibi

The larger panels are almost half the price per watt of the smaller ones which are more suited to camping etc. However, controlling more powerful arrays becomes more expensive. It is fun though.
DJI F450 : CC3D : SK3 2830 - 920KV : Turnigy Plush 30A (SIL) flashed with BLHeli v10.4
TBS Disco + Homebrew Core : Naza M V2 + GPS : iOSD Mini : 880KV Arducopter Motors : Turnigy Plush 30A (SIL) flashed with BLHeli v10.4 : D8R-II+ : 4S 4000mAH Battery
Turnigy 9XR, ER9X FW, FrSky DJT

guest325

Quote from: kibi on Monday,October 28, 2013, 22:38:36
The larger panels are almost half the price per watt of the smaller ones which are more suited to camping etc. However, controlling more powerful arrays becomes more expensive. It is fun though.
That';s part of the reason why - controls for bigger systems means bigger bucks. My idea is to use the small readily available arrays with their controls but optimise their efficiency by tracking the highest available source of light. In real terms for me if I can power my charger and lighting for my garage and possibly eventually looking to power a domestic (LED) lighting system then that';s enough for me. The problem as I see it with commercially available PV systems is payback time - at my age I don';t expect to ever get payback so it';s a no no!