Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 19:51:56

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

How does your Y6 compare...

Started by John A, Thursday,October 17, 2013, 03:32:49

Previous topic - Next topic

John A

How does your Y6 compare to a hex rotor V?
Stability and endurance?

e.chipev

Quote from: John A on Thursday,October 17, 2013, 03:32:49
How does your Y6 compare to a hex rotor V?
Stability and endurance?

Hi John,
Recently I converted my hex V to y6 because I wanted to reduce weight and make it easier to transport. I had only one concern.. efficiency but after the first flight test I had big smile on my face. LOL :D
In my particular set up there was 7-10% loss of efficiency
/test was without payload/
Total weight reduced was ~680gr.
Another thing which is not that relevant but it';s good to point out.. in order to make it foldable I had to move esc';s close to motors which helped with the cooling.

In terms of handling:
- easier coordination
- faster and stable descending
- yaw works better

Note that my set up is for calm weather and most of the tests where perform in such weather.

AUW - 4940gr
(Including 2x5000mah lipos and Canon 60D with 50mm 1.8 lens)

Regards
Evgeni

P.S.  forgot to mention that with the y6 there will be no such drama if motor Or two(upper ones) stop working in mid air. ;)

John A

Thank you for your reply Evgeni.

I must say, that is a good looking aircraft you have there, the build looks superb.

Thanks for the information, it has encouraged me to continue the design I am working on. Your comments on handling seem to indicate some good advantages of flying a Y6 over a hex V. I was initially worried about the loss of efficiency too but have decided I should be able to accept it. I am guessing your aircraft is somewhat larger in the motor / prop / battery department as you are flying a much greater payload than I. I am hoping to fly a FPV rig and maybe a GoPro (if I can afford one) on a servo based gimbal. This is my first time with a hex and Naza FC, and only my third build, previous aircraft were quads with a KK2 FC. I am guessing at having something completed in the next few weeks and will post pictures then.

Thank you again,

Best regards,

John A.

Toledodave

John by chance do you have yaw issues when you converted to y6. I cant seem to iron mine out.

John A

Hi Toledodave,

You are much further along than I am Sir, I have most of the parts for the build but am still at the CAD drawing stage at the moment. I wish I could help but I have not even flown a hex yet :embarrassed Having said that, as I understand it, yaw is achieved by varying the torque effect of the motors so I would think if all props are equal and all motors are equal and the aircraft is balanced, it may be worth checking the ESC calibration?

Best regards,
John A.

Toledodave

Hi John thanks for the reply.
    Yeah as i understand your right. I dis have them all one way on top and all opposite on bottom but had so much trouble with yaw i noticed in most recent sketch update it was recommended to reverse the rears directions top and bottom and yet i still dont have yaw control. Pitch and roll are great but yaw is crazy lol. I must be overlooking something. Gonna relevel again and see where im at. Wish you luck on your build.  If i can ever help dont hesitate to look me up.

John A

Prototype Y6.
95% complete.
Achieved reasonable hover, requires tuning.
FPV system awaiting install.

John A

Whey hey, and up she rises, maiden flight with no surprises.....

After spending some time working up the courage to make the Maiden, I finally took the aircraft into the garden. Powered her up and waited for the GPS lock....heart rate at about 120bpm. Armed the motors and checked all were running ok, tentatively throttled up....and she lifted....held very well in both altitude and position (<2mt on position) Switched to ATTI and cautiously manoeuvred around a little. She seems quite responsive. Back to GPS mode and a wonderfully stable hover. Switched to Failsafe, LED flashes yellow and shortly after, she began to climb, guess the failsafe is working but switched back to GPS by waggling the switch before she flew too high (after recent posts I am paranoid about having a fly-away) Back into a hover and out with the ';phone to grab the photo. LED starts blinking red, batts low so bring the throttle stick down a little and experience a very nice decent and landing. Throttle to 0% and the motors cut at 3 seconds...

All I can say is that it was a wonderful anticlimax :smiley: and that I am very happy with the aircraft. I will inspect the airframe tonight to make sure all is as it should be, and start the fitting of the FPV kit.

I would like to thank the forum members for the wealth of information that has been made available, and to everyone who helped and encouraged me over the last few weeks.  :beer2: