Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,August 24, 2019, 04:18:05

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Aug 2019 19:26:42
I agree it does look a lot better for some reasom SMF shorten any recent posts display  :rolleyes:
Andy7:
23 Aug 2019 10:29:15
Nice! Looks loads better.  :beer2:
Gaza07:
22 Aug 2019 22:47:32
Sorted mate  ~~
Andy7:
22 Aug 2019 10:27:36
Sure. But basically, all the subjects are getting cut off.
Gaza07:
21 Aug 2019 18:14:54
Can you pm me a screen shot of what you mean
Andy7:
21 Aug 2019 12:15:41
Gaza - can you make the subject line section in the forum topic list wider? It's cutting off the subject field really short.
Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196581
  • Total Topics: 19804
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 44
Total: 46

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Where to start??

Started by stukno, Sunday,October 13, 2013, 22:54:11

Previous topic - Next topic

stukno

Hi All,
I have been a long time rc modeller, fixed wing and at one time heli';s. I really fancy a go at an outdoor quad but, TBH I have no idea where to start.

I';ve had a good look around the web today, the Walkera X350 or the  DJI Phantom look to be the sort of thing. To my unknowledgable eye they seem to be big enough to cope with outdoor conditions and have position hold and RTB capabilities.  The thing is I know from past experiance of planks & helis, that it is rarely a good idea to just buy in without taking proper advice from someone who has been there before, so.... what would you say??

I would prefer to use my own TX / RX (MPX Evo9 with Fr Sky conversion), I have a small Muvi video camera for aerial video and I would like to progress onto FPV with goggles in due course.  Budget £300 or a bit more,  self assembly not a problem so long as it';s straightforward. 

There is no-one that I know of near me (North Lincs near Doncaster) that flies quads so I';m a bit stuck for first hand advice.  What do you think?

many thanks

stu k

kilby

Well the phantom (and I assume walkera) can cope with most half way sensible weather conditions.

Its probably more fun to build one yhiugh
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

stukno

I have no aversion to building a quad, it makes it much easier to maintain and to understand whats going on. I feel that I would need some sort of ';kit'; to be sure that everything would assemble and work together.  Do they exist?  not seen anything

Has there been a thread on here where someone has detailed a build and specified everything thast they have used?

stu k

ChrisH

Stu,

Have a look at http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?board=7.0 which is the generic quad build thread. There will be a number of detailed build topics in there to give you ideas.

Generally speaking you are likely to get more from a build project than a RTF. As has been said many times, sooner or later you';ll meet the ground with your multi and the experience of building it will be of great benefit when repairs are needed.

Where abouts are you? I';m in North Yorks near Selby which isn';t a million miles away from your area.

You';ve already found the biggest aid to getting started - this forum! Welcome!!  :smiley:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

stukno

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the response. I';ll have a good study of that thread and bring back any questions.

No Seby isn';t far away - I';m in DN9 2H*.  I wouldn';t mind dropping by your flying site sometime when you are there

pheasant_plucker

Monday,October 14, 2013, 16:11:44 #5 Last Edit: Monday,October 14, 2013, 18:15:49 by pheasant_plucker
Hi Stuart, I';ll list my shopping list which will give a good solid 500mm Quad for learning on. This was one thing that held me back when I first started Quading. It';s great when you learn a bit about the terminology and what does what but in your position it just sounds like techno-babble.

Frame:
Centre Plates
Get some 10mm square Aluminium tubing from whickes or B&Q for the arms and some M3 stainless cap heads with nylocks for putting it all together. This will give you a frame that is stiff and as tough as f**k. It will take you from the first steps to full aeros.

Motors:
I used Keda 20-26m from Giant Shark. So far loads of grunt

Speed Controllers:
Again from Giant Shark, Hobbywing 18amp

Battery:
3s3p 2200 (turnigy)

UBEC:
For a safe constant power supply to the electronics
Hobbywing 3A

Flight controller:
I';m using a Crius all in one but there are others and I think the Arduflyer would be worth a look.
I';m running Megapirate firmware but you can run MultiWii if you wish.

Bits';n';Bobs:

Good Selection of M3 nuts and bolts. I prefer stainless in this type of environment with Nylocks and washers.
4mm Gold Bullet connectors for everything but the battery which is XT60
Loads of heatshrink
You';ll probably want some LED strip for orientation.

Gerry
The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"
http://www.namfc.co.uk/pictures/fly.gif

flybywire

Hi Stuart welcome to the forum.
You';ve already had some excellent suggestions by the looks of it.  As i think I';ve said many times here abouts, no real right or wrong way, just your way!
That being said, i don';t think u can go wrong with a dji 450 frame to kick you off, genuine ones are c. £30, a clone less Than £20.  I favour dji flight controllers as they are pretty much plug & play, and will get u into the air with a rock solid hover whilst you get used to your new ';massive grin';.
Motors, i use HK 2219';s, and have just bought some 20 amp ';Afro'; esc';s from HK, motors& esc';s c. £8 each, the Afro';s are pre flashed with Simon K fware, so are great for multi';s.
If you';re comfortable around pc';s & computer code then there is always arduino based fc';s, personally speaking (as I work in IT myself) that';s the last thing i want to be doing when i get home!
Hope this helps

Andy.

Blog: http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

billmac

Hi Stuart
Am a bit like yourself I have been flying planks and helis for a long time and I felt I wanted to try something different however it still had to fly. I made the mistake of buying before I checked out the advice of guys that had been doing this for a while. I got an XAircraft 650 and this was not the best choice I have ever made I found it to be quite expensive and of poor quality. Like you there was no one in our club that flew multies so me and  some mates started to read the forums and came up with the DJI Naza F450  Naza Controller. I have found this to be a great platform to start with and I am now moving forward with FPV with it and still fly it most days when am at home. The down side with this is you are always trying to upgrade to the next level and this means I now have five multirotors and no cash in my account.

stukno

Hi Gerry, Andy, Billmac & Quadbod,

Thanks guys all useful information and gratefully received.   I';m quickly starting to see that a selfbuild is a better option although just what and where from is still a bit hazy.  The DJI 450 seems well thought of.Not sure that I understand ALL of this sentence:-

Motors, i use HK 2219';s, and have just bought some 20 amp ';Afro'; esc';s from HK, motors& esc';s c. £8 each, the Afro';s are pre flashed with Simon K fware, so are great for multi';s.

but I will get there before long!!

stu k

DarrellW

Monday,October 14, 2013, 22:58:05 #9 Last Edit: Monday,October 14, 2013, 23:01:18 by DarrellW
Hi Stu, you don';t have to spend an arm and a leg to get something that flies ok, I';ve just finished my own design scratch build VTail quad that can be built for around £100
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3887.0o
It could be a good introduction to flying quads and should make a decent camera/fpv ship, to give you an idea of what one is capable of take a look at this:
http://www.simplecopter.com/simplecopter-v-tail-the-tilt/
Have a look at the videos of his model and the build, some very useful tips that can equally be applied to any configuration!
Mine was based on his design but beefed up a bit to take a bit more abuse; if you are interested I can give you a full inventory and drawings of parts needed to build.
I think..........I think I am........therefore I am.............I think!

ChrisH

Stu, have you seen this bargain? If you were thinking of the Naza route (not a bad one!).  :hmm:

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=4725.new#new
Chris
Hubsan X4

flybywire

Quote from: stukno on Monday,October 14, 2013, 22:24:28
Hi Gerry, Andy, Billmac & Quadbod,

Thanks guys all useful information and gratefully received.   I';m quickly starting to see that a selfbuild is a better option although just what and where from is still a bit hazy.  The DJI 450 seems well thought of.Not sure that I understand ALL of this sentence:-

but I will get there before long!!

stu k

Stu
I meant these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=37204

And these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=43709

I';d been meaning to try SimonK firmware on as esc for a while, but up to now it';s been a massive P I T A to do.  I also bought the little USB dongle to hook them up for possible easy future fware upgrades, which can be done without removing any heatshrink, or the esc from the model, as it';s done through the Rx cable.  :smiley:
Keep it emax, capiche?

stukno

Again, thanks guys for all you help & info.

It was the bit about ';the Afro';s being preflashed with Simonk fware'; that flew straight overhead as I said,I';ll get there eventually.

Thanks for the heads up about the s/h unit, too late by the time I saw it.  I take it that the Naza is the magic box between the RX and the motors which brings it all together?

All good stuff!
stu k

Hands0n

@flybywire - what cable is that then? All I';ve ever read is that ESC have to be flashed via a tool that clips over the processor chip (I have one). But I';ve not come across what you';ve mentioned. Sounds a much better way of flashing ESC

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

ChrisH

Quote from: stukno on Monday,October 14, 2013, 14:14:04
No Seby isn';t far away - I';m in DN9 2H*.  I wouldn';t mind dropping by your flying site sometime when you are there

Stu, my multi';s are in various stages of updating and modification at the moment. Also this weather makes things harder to plan! If you fancied a trip up to my place sometime Saturday and can put up with a very untidy man-cave you';re welcome to come up for a look see and a chat! The F450 can be flown if weather is kind!  ~~
Chris
Hubsan X4

flybywire

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,October 16, 2013, 07:37:27
@flybywire - what cable is that then? All I';ve ever read is that ESC have to be flashed via a tool that clips over the processor chip (I have one). But I';ve not come across what you';ve mentioned. Sounds a much better way of flashing ESC

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Danny:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39437__Afro_ESC_USB_Programming_Tool.html?strSearch=afro
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=afro

Got 6 of them on my hex, all good so far, even got nice little green/red led';s on to indicate status, I do like stuff that';s practical!

P.S the tool costs pennies, so even if you never have to use it in anger, what the heck?
Andy
Keep it emax, capiche?

Hands0n

Thanks Andy, looks really cool.

QuoteThe tool works with every ESC with bootloader, not just Afro ones. I updated all my SimonK-ed ESCs
The above comments were submitted by customers and may not represent the views of hobbyking.com.

Can the above be true? Will this tool work with all ESCs or only Afro?  Incredible if true, makes me wonder why anyone would bother with the "traditional" method.

I';ll have to order me some of those for my next build.  ::)

Cheers for the info, one learns something new each day, its true  :beer2:
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

flybywire

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,October 16, 2013, 11:31:21
Thanks Andy, looks really cool.

Can the above be true? Will this tool work with all ESCs or only Afro?  Incredible if true, makes me wonder why anyone would bother with the "traditional" method.

I';ll have to order me some of those for my next build.  ::)

Cheers for the info, one learns something new each day, its true  :beer2:

Yes, sounds positive, sorry, can';t speak for other ESC';S, maybe I';ll try it out on one of my HK 20 amp';s if I';m feeling brave.
Keep it emax, capiche?

Hands0n

Ah poo!  Damned cursed impulsiveness of mine  :rofl: ... I';ve just gone and ordered 4 x 30A and one programmer having read that they were designed from the ground up by SimonK and the other lad.  Will pop them on my APM 2.5 rig (not-FPV) and see how it goes.  That one is in line to be converted into a Hex at some time in the future when I stop buying components to hack with.  :slap:

--
Danny

flybywire

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,October 16, 2013, 12:32:34
Ah poo!  Damned cursed impulsiveness of mine  :rofl: ...

Lol!  Nice looking kit though.  I guess time will tell if they stand up t o the rigours of judicious quad thrashing
Keep it emax, capiche?

barneyg

That USB thing is the same as the Turnigy USB linker ... They will update any ESC that already has SimonK (and the associated boot loader ) so you need to use the solder pads/chip clip thingie first