Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,August 22, 2019, 23:32:48

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
22 Aug 2019 22:47:32
Sorted mate  ~~
Andy7:
22 Aug 2019 10:27:36
Sure. But basically, all the subjects are getting cut off.
Gaza07:
21 Aug 2019 18:14:54
Can you pm me a screen shot of what you mean
Andy7:
21 Aug 2019 12:15:41
Gaza - can you make the subject line section in the forum topic list wider? It's cutting off the subject field really short.
Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
atomiclama:
29 Jul 2019 20:14:10
DB that just means you have shed loads of props in the first place ;-)
DarkButterfly:
29 Jul 2019 18:53:33
Just had a thought, even with all the crashing I've done, I haven't bought any replacement props in over a year ~~
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196578
  • Total Topics: 19804
  • Online Today: 44
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 43
Total: 44

Theme Changer





3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

FPV Sortie Wish-List

Started by mutley2, Sunday,October 13, 2013, 14:56:59

Previous topic - Next topic

mutley2

As the title say';s its a "doable" wish list of sites that would be great to FPV and/or film, I don';t mean those far away site';s that chances are we will never get a chance to fly but real sites in the UK that you might have seen or drove past. We live on a fantastic island that has great scenery that is so varied and exciting, I thought it would be good to pool idea';s and see if any of us could tick some of these sites off the list.
There is no limits but common sense to these sites, they could be hills, mountains or a disused building, anything goes and all you have to do is either describe the site or post a pic or two if you have them. Readers of the post that have either a first hand knowledge of the site or a view point on flying or safety are welcome to air their thoughts as well, all idea';s and view points are welcome.

Birnbeck Pier (Spooky Island)

To start this off I would like to fly a disused sea side pier at Weston-Super-Mare called Birnbeck pier, it';s not strictly a pier but an island they built a pier out to back in 1867, it';s been in decline for many years now and won';t last that much longer if the developers get there grubby little hands on it. It';s been closed to the public for many years and has only access for the life guard crew. There is a great but mostly deserted prom walk way for take off';s and landing and the only real problems with this site is wind and flying over the sea if you chose not to fly down the pier deck, I was planning on a very early morning sortie on this site to keep the dog walkers and wind to a minimum at some point. This site could be flown entirely from over the sea if required and the main island has some great black and white buildings still standing that would be good to film and look very atmospheric (the local kids call it "Spooky Island").
A few pic';s I took of Spooky Island







kilby

The one I would like is the pair of Harland and Wolff cranes (Samson and Goliath)

It should also be possible to fly between the top sections as there is a pretty large space between the sections as this YouTube video shows
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Col_M

Goonhilly Satellite Earth Station - Big satellite dishes.
Brentor church - little church on the top of a steep rocky hill.
St Michael';s Mount - Island with stuff on.
Crown Mines near Botallack - Machine houses of an old tin mine right by the sea.
HMNB Devonport - inside the frigate complex, three huge covered dry docks that can refit frigates.

Some are far more likely than others ;)
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

Hands0n

I have a plan to FPV the Hans Edge wreck at Cliffe Fort  - it looks quite spectacular

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7103.0

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

mutley2

Quote from: Col_M on Sunday,October 13, 2013, 18:09:50

HMNB Devonport - inside the frigate complex, three huge covered dry docks that can refit frigates.

Some are far more likely than others ;)

Not sure the navy would be very keen on us flying round there base  :hmm:, not saying it wouldn';t be fun ;D

mutley2

Just been looking at pictures of Clifton suspension bridge and added this to my 2014 fly list, any one else added a big sortie to there 2014 calendar?

dp106

Quote from: mutley2 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 07:57:43
Just been looking at pictures of Clifton suspension bridge and added this to my 2014 fly list, any one else added a big sortie to there 2014 calendar?
You beat me too it!  :(  Not sure it is very safe/dooable though with the road/river below it..?

Biffa

Quote from: mutley2 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 07:57:43
...any one else added a big sortie to there 2014 calendar?


I';m thinking of the park near my house :rolleyes:

The way things are going and what with the weather and all, flying that will be a mission in it self ;)
Steve

mutley2

Quote from: dp106 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 08:07:51
You beat me too it!  :(  Not sure it is very safe/dooable though with the road/river below it..?

Will have a look on goggle earth and see if I can find some safe take off site';s within a mile, should be do-able if the flight was early morning. It';s just an iconic landmark, didn';t Jabba do a vid on/near it last year?

Pauluk

Soon as i saw the heading the first thing that popped into my head was the Eifel tower,now i know thats not doable,but i would love to launch a quad copter from the top of that.

Something i will get around to doing though is Sully Island.

Its an island that you can walk to on low tide,would be a great place to fly,if its
not too windy.

http://www.penarthcoastguard.co.uk/Pages/SullyIsland.aspx


dp106

Quote from: mutley2 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 10:46:17
Will have a look on goggle earth and see if I can find some safe take off site';s within a mile, should be do-able if the flight was early morning. It';s just an iconic landmark, didn';t Jabba do a vid on/near it last year?
I went to the Avon Gorge Hotel for afternoon tea with the missus last year and was looking out longingly at the bridge.  There';s a park type area just up from there perfect to take off from but then you have the road right below.  Maybe from somewhere in Leigh woods opposite..?  I don';t have the range or confidence in my FPV setup to take off far enough away so don';t think I';ll be flying there any time soon

jamie16v

theres a few places on the gower peninsular like three cliffs, mumbles head, burry port harbour and light house, that I would like to fpv, cray reservoir in the Brecon and a few places in Swansea local to where I live would also make interesting focal points too lol :laugh:

mutley2

Quote from: Pauluk on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 11:12:51
Its an island that you can walk to on low tide,would be a great place to fly,if its
not too windy.

http://www.penarthcoastguard.co.uk/Pages/SullyIsland.aspx

I goggled it and that looks very doable Paul, if you want some company if you have a crack at the island give me PM, well up for that ~~

The other Island on my wish list is Steep Holm, have seen this many times when visiting Weston-super-mare and want to have a crack at it, only problem is it';s 4km out from shore which my Disco will do but it';s entirely over the sea, for the love of god some-one talk me out of it lol

jamie16v

Quote from: mutley2 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 13:43:50
I goggled it and that looks very doable Paul, if you want some company if you have a crack at the island give me PM, well up for that ~~

The other Island on my wish list is Steep Holm, have seen this many times when visiting Weston-super-mare and want to have a crack at it, only problem is it';s 4km out from shore which my Disco will do but it';s entirely over the sea, for the love of god some-one talk me out of it lol

perhaps an fpv plane would be better suited for the 4km task, I know your quad is capable but at least if you down a cheap plane it won`t be as upsetting. not sure if you`d get the footage you want out of a plane though?

mutley2

Quote from: jamie16v on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 13:38:04
cray reservoir in the Brecon

Sure I did this end of last year :hmm: very cool place to fly :wack0
Quote from: jamie16v on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 13:49:25
perhaps an fpv plane would be better suited for the 4km task, I know your quad is capable but at least if you down a cheap plane it won`t be as upsetting. not sure if you`d get the footage you want out of a plane though?

I';m just finishing off a long range Zephyr2 for just such a sortie but doing it with a quad would be a right giggle  ::)

seantaylor

Duncansby Stacks just along from John O Groats. Really risky, no chance of recovery if you have a problem, but would love to do it.



mutley2

That would be great to do some fast passes at low level, and at a push you might be able to land if the gods were smiling on you that day if you had a problem.
Keep the good idea';s coming guys, any one know any good buildings/ land-marks.
How about this for a sortie

kilby

Would like to get some footage of the `plughole` in the silent valley reservoir though I think you would have to fly part way into it

http://mw2.google.com/mw-earth-vectordb/places/embedded/2009_04_16/3740266.html
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Doug

Emley Moor TV Mast just outside Huddersfield would be cool especially if you could get up the thing and fly from the top Not sure that would be poss tho (Could probably get up there but not sure you could get a Quad to fly at 1020 feet plus Certainly not legally)?

jamie16v

Quote from: mutley2 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 13:50:06
Sure I did this end of last year :hmm: very cool place to fly :wack0

so I`m too late..lol gutted!  :laugh:
Quote from: mutley2 on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 13:50:06
I';m just finishing off a long range Zephyr2 for just such a sortie but doing it with a quad would be a right giggle  ::)

I was just trying to talk you out of doing it without talking you out of doing it...  :laugh:

mutley2

Jamie, Think I might have talked myself out of the quad Steep Holm sortie with the realization that I would get about 10 seconds look around the island before having to come home  :rofl: And the vid would be just flying over some very grey cold sea for 13mins+  :sweating: and a 10second shot of the island, not the best of my bight ideas. :rolleyes:
Could do it with the Zephyr but that has a price tag the same as my quad with RVOSD and other goodies, might have a try :hmm:
Quote from: kilby on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 19:25:41
Would like to get some footage of the `plughole` in the silent valley reservoir though I think you would have to fly part way into it

http://mw2.google.com/mw-earth-vectordb/places/embedded/2009_04_16/3740266.html

Wow, now this is the sort of thing FPV multi rotors were made for, would love to see this, great idea ~~
Keep um coming guys

orfordness

DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
450 (Flamewheel clone) x 4
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

Jake Bullit

I`d like to fly this one ,and land on the nipples :laugh:

[attachimg=1]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-19458150
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

yakjock

Quote from: mutley2 on Sunday,October 13, 2013, 20:04:29
Not sure the navy would be very keen on us flying round there base  :hmm:, not saying it wouldn';t be fun ;D


I can assure you that would be frowned upon! or perhaps used as target practice for the WEM';s

flybywire

Quote from: kilby on Tuesday,March 25, 2014, 19:25:41
Would like to get some footage of the `plughole` in the silent valley reservoir though I think you would have to fly part way into it

http://mw2.google.com/mw-earth-vectordb/places/embedded/2009_04_16/3740266.html


That';s tempting, but water & radio waves don';t seem to mix!
Blog: http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Jake Bullit

Quote from: yakjock on Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 11:12:23
I can assure you that would be frowned upon! or perhaps used as target practice for the WEM';s


Not multi rotor, but this is one of the best FPV videos I';ve seen
FPV Drive-Thru:


Quote from: mutley2 on Sunday,October 13, 2013, 20:04:29
Not sure the navy would be very keen on us flying round there base  :hmm:, not saying it wouldn';t be fun ;D
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

flybywire

Naughty, but nice!  :evil

Difficult on the sim, but in real life??  Awesome
Blog: http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

powerlord

If your up in Berwick this is a cool one.  Did it last year



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk


mutley2

Quote from: powerlord on Wednesday,March 26, 2014, 16:53:53
If your up in Berwick this is a cool one.  Did it last year



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thats@s my kinda flying, would have been nice to go though the bones but if it';s out of LOS then  :banghead:
Very cool site to fly.

The Drive Thur vid was amazing although Im not a great fan of flying so close to cars and houses, that guy has skills  ~~