Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 22:59:02

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

ArduPilot Mega VS DJ Naza

Started by johnrs, Monday,September 24, 2012, 09:27:01

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrs

I am looking to order a Naza this week, but this morning I saw the ArduPilot Mega on BYOD and read a little about it

I know the Naza is good out of the box with good features, but looking at the ArduPilot Mega also seems to have some nice features such as waypoints

has anyone got any experience of ArduPilot Mega ? 
Is setup as easy as the Naza ?
Does it have failsafes like the Naza
How does it compare to the Naza

I would like something like that Naza and its simple setup, but some of the ArduPilot Mega look nice

Thanks
John
New to Quads but loving it

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

Brian

Very interesting question John. I have no idea, but I will be watching this topic to find out.

Brian :wack0
[url="http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/britrb/SANY2154.jpg"]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h129/britrb/SANY2154.jpg[/url]

BYOD

Wow, now that's a question!

Ok, so let's break this down into small steps:

Open source / closed source:

With open source (ArduPilot Mega and alike) you have a bunch of (normally) unpaid workers which are skilled in an area hardware / code / applications etc., they kind of find one another on forums like DIY Drones and start to work on the "project" in the open, so hardware and code to produce a finished product (please note, finished is never finished, it's more an evolving project which reaches milestones) a flight controller in this case is open for all to see and add too, so there is any number of people working away in all corners of the globe on the ArduPilot Mega and all the elements which make it "work".

With Close source you will find a company like DJI which will have a paid staff all working in a building writing the code, doing the hardware etc. and in other words all systems and codes are close to public and other companies, they can make adjustments but that's it.

Open source benefits:
There are many to be had, there is always someone new playing with something to fix an issue or take on a fresh challenge to make the systems better or add a function they think will make the "product" better for the community. The cost is lower and the functions are normally more than can be found for the same price point on a closed source system.

Closed source benefits:
All work is done in house so there is a good level of collaboration from all the teams and the fact they are all in the one building means the products are tried and tested a lot more before they come out to people like you and I to fly! These products tend to just work from the box like a TV or MP3 player.

Open source negatives:
One of the main strengths of the open source system is also a weakness, there is a code which anyone can take, adjust use or break. This means if you know what you are doing then this is like a playground for thoughts and ideas to be realised, however if you are not a coder you will have to wait on others to make things happen and then they might not work. Or a code which was working yesterday might not today. It's getting much better; however it's a work in progress! There have been great steps forward on the ArduPilot Mega in the past few months, many customers are now reporting the latest code and hardware is catching up with the Wookong and the Naza quickly. Please note "catching up", they still have some way to go!

Closed source negatives:
Cost, all the R&D work needs to be paid for as there are staff on the payroll, so higher costs for same products / functions.

So which is right for me?

Well, there seems to be two types of people (this is in broad terms):

I want it to work, I don't want to spend much time and the functions are all I will need from the NAZA / Wookong.... If you sound like this, you are a closed source person.

I want to explore, know how to code /  don't mind finding my own way with issues, have time to play and want to do something that's not being done..... If this sounds like you, you are an open source person.

In summary the two systems have their places in the hobby, I have found a growing number of people that were the "open" now becoming the "closed" as there is far less work involved to get you up and flying...... you are the only one which will know if you are an "open" a "close" or a little of both, many of my customers and myself included are a "Open & Closed" case!

One important point that a lot of people overlook, the ArduPilot Mega is a hobby DIY kit, the Naza / WKM is a closed source system, they should not really be stacked up against one another, it is like parking an F1 car next to your own car and asking what is the differences....

If you have any other questions please fire them in here and I will do all I can to answer them.

Regards

Martin.
[url="https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk"]https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk[/url]

Gaza07

The Ardupilot mega (APM) is a very good system and its what the megapirate firmware is a port of but like all these systems it takes some setting up and not every one gets good results, although you would no doubt get better results with the original hardware rather than some thing running megapirate  ;)

The mission planner that you use with the APM is very good and offers way point flying, but its for people that like to tinker and wont just work out of the box like a naza will. the gps performance of the APM is not as good as the naza either but then the naza dosent offer way points  :rolleyes:

One thing you have to remember is the arducopter project is on going and may be a while before its 100% where as the Naza is out the box fully working  ~~

To be honest I would like both  ;) but the naza will be the next flight controller I buy as the cheap AIOP offers all the tinkering I need  ::)
Not sure this is helpful but I hope it is
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

johnrs

Thanks for the info and I have taken the plunge with a DJ Naza + GPS from Martin at BYOD

Really looking forward to getting this now.  Just hope the rain stops later this week.   :-/

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review

Mslater

Yes, I've had 2 Ardu's now and my octo is currently flying APM 2

No the setup takes weeks and I mean weeks to get right. There's hundreds of parameters to play with

Don't worry it will come down just like the Naza if something goes wrong. A serious answer would be some failsafe in place more to follow

When Tuned it knocks 3 bells out of the Naza, but its got to be dead right and very few people can set them with enough accuracy.

I would like something like that Naza and its simple setup, but some of the ArduPilot Mega look nice

The Nazza will work out of the box and become boring very quickly. The Ardu is a constant stream of amusement. What I mean by that is this.. 

The Ardu takes some effort to get right for flight but once there you can expand into automated missions and have great fun with camera levelling, auto photography etc. Add a whole bunch of Led's and create your own light display etc. The Ardu is a computer with plenty of power left over for doing anything you want, you just add to the program.  Add some telemetry (about £130) and fly it from a laptop !!!  It's not for the faint hearted so if all you want to do is fly then the Nazza is the platform to choose. Want a hobbycraft and a whole load of headaches - get an Ardu.
Duvet - The quickest way to say Duck Down !

sakiskoz

If you wont P and P take naza is the best for now.

BYOD

Quote from: Mslater on Monday,September 24, 2012, 19:22:10

Yes, I've had 2 Ardu's now and my octo is currently flying APM 2

No the setup takes weeks and I mean weeks to get right. There's hundreds of parameters to play with

Don't worry it will come down just like the Naza if something goes wrong. A serious answer would be some failsafe in place more to follow

When Tuned it knocks 3 bells out of the Naza, but its got to be dead right and very few people can set them with enough accuracy.

The Nazza will work out of the box and become boring very quickly. The Ardu is a constant stream of amusement. What I mean by that is this.. 

The Ardu takes some effort to get right for flight but once there you can expand into automated missions and have great fun with camera levelling, auto photography etc. Add a whole bunch of Led's and create your own light display etc. The Ardu is a computer with plenty of power left over for doing anything you want, you just add to the program.  Add some telemetry (about £130) and fly it from a laptop !!!  It's not for the faint hearted so if all you want to do is fly then the Nazza is the platform to choose. Want a hobbycraft and a whole load of headaches - get an Ardu.

Agreed :smiley:
[url="https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk"]https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk[/url]

johnrs

Thanks for the info Mslater.  I have gone with the Naza and perhaps when I get more into this hobby and move out of the lower ranks I will get something that can do more.

But for now Naza is the way for me

My YouTube Channel

Techie-Review