Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Monday,August 26, 2019, 05:49:30

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Andy7:
24 Aug 2019 19:21:05
 ~~
Gaza07:
23 Aug 2019 19:26:42
I agree it does look a lot better for some reasom SMF shorten any recent posts display  :rolleyes:
Andy7:
23 Aug 2019 10:29:15
Nice! Looks loads better.  :beer2:
Gaza07:
22 Aug 2019 22:47:32
Sorted mate  ~~
Andy7:
22 Aug 2019 10:27:36
Sure. But basically, all the subjects are getting cut off.
Gaza07:
21 Aug 2019 18:14:54
Can you pm me a screen shot of what you mean
Andy7:
21 Aug 2019 12:15:41
Gaza - can you make the subject line section in the forum topic list wider? It's cutting off the subject field really short.
Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196588
  • Total Topics: 19805
  • Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Abandoned Catalina

Started by XH558, Thursday,October 03, 2013, 15:05:45

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

Just found this http://www.artificialowl.net/2009/07/abandoned-catalina-seaplane-50-years.html

on here https://www.facebook.com/RoyalAirFarce

What an amazing story ... and such a shame to see such a glorious plane languishing in this state ....

Isn';t the internet a weird and wonderful repository of both strange and interesting stuff  :rolleyes: :azn

XH558

Ah - The Kee Bird ....I have the DVD of that venture ... ';B29 Frozen In Time';... one of the saddest endings I';ve EVER seen  :cry

Was it all worth it .... and why oh why spend all that time and money... and the death of a talented mechanic and stalwart team member ... to throw it ALL away at the very end on a jury rigged fuel tank ... I was heartbroken  :rolleyes: :(

BUT - I do watch it over and over for the sheer determination, endurance and resourcefulness of all of them ... and to see those huge engines all running together and it moving under its own power is just incredible ...

Worth a watch - it really is - just have a box of tissues handy  :azn

XH558

Thursday,October 03, 2013, 23:56:24 #2 Last Edit: Tuesday,October 22, 2013, 18:26:13 by Jumpy07
Quote from: ***** on Thursday,October 03, 2013, 23:53:07
Ive watched it a few times now, its a well presented documentary and you actually feel you are part of the struggle to get her back in the air. :(

Agreed ... I was willing it to be successful ..... so VERY near ... and yet so far  :cry

Ross

The engines should be worth something even now if they were removed and refurbished.
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

XH558

Friday,October 04, 2013, 18:37:30 #4 Last Edit: Tuesday,October 22, 2013, 18:25:55 by Jumpy07
Quote from: ***** on Friday,October 04, 2013, 12:41:06
The engines were actually donated by the American Air Force, but after the catastrophe there didnt seem much left to salvage. No money was actually lost, as the whole venture was insured.

The only loss was the aircraft itself.

AND the life of a hugely talented engineer Rick Kriege who pretty much worked himself to death on the rebuild....

It seems that the engines are indeed still there as they were attached to the only part of the structure that survived ... the wings. So eminently recoverable - if anyone could raise the money  :rolleyes:

I pretty much have to agree with this summing up from another forum .....

QuoteTheir failure was not performing a preflight/pretaxi check of the aircraft. The ladder left in place was noted from the start and not only was the APU and its fuel supply jury rigged, it was needlessly left running. If it was switched off as soon as the first engine was started, it might have cooled sufficiently following engine start sequence was completed so as not to have ignited any spilled fuel to begin with. That small gasoline engine was a major fire risk that should have been dealt with. Leaving it poorly installed and left running while ship was moving was a major screw-up that was too painful to watch. The access ladder could have clipped the ground and damaged the hatchway or airframe if torn away from its points of attachment. The crew were talented, highly skilled men, but none the less careless knuckleheads. I would like to point out that it was also knuckleheaded of them to have relied on another antique aircraft, the ';62 Caribou, that was in marginal condition to rely upon as their lifeline and only source of transportation. That ship was not air-worthy and could have crashed a more than one occasion, especially the zero-flap landing with the bulldozer on board!

That';s right - adrenaline and the 4 engines running got them so excited at the prospect of success they made huge mistakes ... and paid the price.

The Caribou was indeed another accident waiting to happen - very slipshod and poor judgement on that plane too ....

Talented they may have been - stupid they were  :rolleyes: :embarrassed

endure

There';s a bloke in Lincolnshire (can';t remember exactly where now) who has the fuselage of an English Electric Lightning in his front garden  :o

XH558

Friday,October 04, 2013, 22:32:41 #6 Last Edit: Friday,October 04, 2013, 22:37:34 by XH558
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=31

Near me there';s a bloke with something even better in his garden  ~~

http://www.wallond.com/Place.html

Zoom in on the ';A';