Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,May 08, 2024, 02:06:03

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Members
  • Total Members: 8,197
  • Latest: bluebat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,428
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 38
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Why I need FPV.....

Started by FragglePete, Monday,September 30, 2013, 10:02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

FragglePete

Not a FPV video as I haven';t got that gear yet (could we have non-FPV section?), but this is the result of a me being asked by a friend who is one of the organisers of the Purbeck Marathon. 

http://youtu.be/p_WiOnMac0o

This was all done line of sight, and to be honest, a lot of what I took was unuseable due to the wind blowing the thing all over the place, so I put in what I could of flying footage and mixed it in with some nice GoPro Slow Mo (all filmed at 60fps and slowed down) of the camera placed on the floor, held in hand, etc.

This really highlights the next move (funds permitting) that I really do need to get FPV sorted, and a long term goal is a gimbal as I';m jealous of seeing other members superb silky smooth stable video on here!!!  :azn  - I can see myself building a second quad to support a gimbal as the X525 frame I have mine based on is not really accomodating for such wizardary.

Going to point out - this was done purely as a hobby thing and was not paid for doing such work.  I was being over cautious at the start and nerves got the better off me as I completely missed the start; I was cautious on checking everything was in place, props on tight, camera secured, etc that I had the GoPro in the wrong mode when they initially set off.  I was really pleased at what I thought was a good float about at the start and then realised my error when I brought the quad in to land and saw the GoPro was not recording!!!  :embarrassed  :banghead:  :rofl:   Real shame as the 300 runners setting off together was quite a spectacle.  And yes, I ensured I didn';t fly it over people.

Pete

Hands0n

A very nice mix of aerial and terrestrial viewpoints.   It gave a great sense of "being there"  ~~

In the FPV section of the forum there are conversations and ideas for starting out FPV on the cheap (relatively speaking).   I';m in the process myself, the video TX/RX is reasonably inexpensive, as can be the FPV camera - and if you';ve a GoPro you';re a long way there - a cheap cable is all you';d need to hook into the video TX.

For me, the most expensive piece seems to be the viewing gear. FatShark is everyone';s choice of best kit but eye-wateringly expensive. There are build your own alternatives - one based on a cheap LCD monitor and foam enclosure (see http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=4512.msg36841#msg36841 ).  Good to get started with, even if looking a bit eccentric.  :laugh: 

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

JAB1a

Great stuff Pete, imagine how much more fun it will be via FPV, jump in and grab the gear! you won';t regret it  ;D

nickyb

Really enjoyed watching this. Well done.

Just goes to show what a ';copter can do for commercial or hobby applications. Looks professional.

Just one observation. Maybe at some point invest in a gimbal to steady your shots, it might also mean the camera is lowered a bit so to keep the props out of the frame...still a bloody good video though.

Nick
:cool2:

QuadBod

Quote from: FragglePete on Monday,September 30, 2013, 10:02:44
Going to point out - this was done purely as a hobby thing and was not paid for doing such work. [...] And yes, I ensured I didn';t fly it over people.

Good to hear, although you might want to review the CAA rules (posted in several stickies), in general, but particularly on distance from other people, just to make sure you (and the event organisers) aren';t leaving yourself exposed in the unfortunate event of something not going to plan.

Another forum member posted a short clip of the Tour of Britain cycle race which showed that you can still get usable footage of events using a smaller multi-rotor, while keeping within the legal limit.