Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 12:07:19

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

General vibration tips for the quad

Started by nickyb, Saturday,September 28, 2013, 14:11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

nickyb

Hi All,

Should be getting my Naza GPS quad soon, but reading various articles on the net many talk of excess chassis vibrations that can affect:

1. GPS accuracy and acceleromter accuracy

2. Reduced lifespan of autopilot and other ICs on the quad';s chassis

Reading forums a few have decided to use gell type antivibration tape to fix say a Naza autopilot to help reduce any vibrations.

Is this something forum members do on there ';copters?

Is it really a problem or should the ICs cope?

thanks

Nick

Hands0n

I';d have thought that the vibration would have to be particularly severe to cause problems at the IC level.  That said, marginal or poor quality soldering of the components to the flight controller circuit board could cause premature failure.

In terms of solving the issue I have found through direct experience and much advice from this forum that you should tackle the source of vibration first and then add in one of many various dampening techniques for the FC itself.

Propellers are probably the greatest source of vibration - you';ve got to balance them and their hubs as best you possibly can. The difference in vibration generated and sent into the air frame can be enormous.  I fell foul of that when bringing an APM 2.5 into service. There is a rather long thread on this forum with my experience and the rather significant results I ended up with.

Next up would be the motors themselves - check for bent shafts, they should run true.

As to dampening materials, there are several.  I ended up using two slices of Moongel cut into four pads mounted on the corner of the APM 2.5 casing. Vibration at the FC itself was measured at well within the Arducopter';s required minimum amount.  You don';t want to put too much dampening material or you may cause other issues.

Then there is anti-vibration foam in both plain and sticky backed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Vibration-Foam-White-Latex-Foam-FPV-Camera-mount-ideal-for-sensitive-item-/111100507982?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19de1b374e

and: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-8-Self-adhesive-Anti-Vibration-Grey-Medium-Density-PE-Foam-Pads-/231060159294?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35cc423b3e

Just a few ideas ...

HTH
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Rammylad

I have a Naza Lite, and the recommended mounting of the FC unit is by double sided sticky pads that are supplied with the Naza unit there are no anti vibration properties in the pads and the Naza works fine.
On the other hand the APM is susceptible to vibration and it';s recommended to use foam pads etc. to help reduce vibration, I use 4 small foam pads about 5mm thick, one on each corner of the FC to mount it to the plate with no problems. Another point into reducing vibration is to have the props and motors well balanced and this improves the flight performance as well.

amxen

use an earth quake detector app for balancing your motors   ~~

nickyb

Quote from: Hands0n on Saturday,September 28, 2013, 15:40:44
I';d have thought that the vibration would have to be particularly severe to cause problems at the IC level.  That said, marginal or poor quality soldering of the components to the flight controller circuit board could cause premature failure.

In terms of solving the issue I have found through direct experience and much advice from this forum that you should tackle the source of vibration first and then add in one of many various dampening techniques for the FC itself.

Propellers are probably the greatest source of vibration - you';ve got to balance them and their hubs as best you possibly can. The difference in vibration generated and sent into the air frame can be enormous.  I fell foul of that when bringing an APM 2.5 into service. There is a rather long thread on this forum with my experience and the rather significant results I ended up with.

Next up would be the motors themselves - check for bent shafts, they should run true.

As to dampening materials, there are several.  I ended up using two slices of Moongel cut into four pads mounted on the corner of the APM 2.5 casing. Vibration at the FC itself was measured at well within the Arducopter';s required minimum amount.  You don';t want to put too much dampening material or you may cause other issues.

Then there is anti-vibration foam in both plain and sticky backed:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Vibration-Foam-White-Latex-Foam-FPV-Camera-mount-ideal-for-sensitive-item-/111100507982?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19de1b374e

and: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-8-Self-adhesive-Anti-Vibration-Grey-Medium-Density-PE-Foam-Pads-/231060159294?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35cc423b3e

Just a few ideas ...

HTH

Many thanks, sound advice.

Since I';m getting a new quad and components I hope the motor';s ate true in any case, but will invest in a prop balancer from ebay. I guess I need to balance ALL props, regardless if they are carbon, wood or plastic?

Nick

KeithW

Quote from: nickyb on Saturday,September 28, 2013, 16:23:14
Many thanks, sound advice.

Since I';m getting a new quad and components I hope the motor';s ate true in any case, but will invest in a prop balancer from ebay. I guess I need to balance ALL props, regardless if they are carbon, wood or plastic?

Nick
Yes Nick re balance  just had some gem fan 8045';s come today  on the Du Bro they are a long way out,I enjoy balancing & taking the time to get them spot on.I want the least problems setting up the re-vamped 450.
Thank You all for such good info.Keith