Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 09:50:20

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 28
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Simple 2.4ghz receiver from a module

Started by teslahed, Thursday,September 26, 2013, 17:10:45

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

I have a 2.4ghz receiver module, one of these;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26828__2_4Ghz_AV_FPV_Receiver_Arduino_Compatible_.html

which i am going to make into a receiver unit for FPV.

So far i have soldered a simple 5 volt linear BEC onto a bit of fibreglass perf board which will be used to power the receiver from a 2 or 3 cell lipo or similar.

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3323.0

Also I have replaced the cables with pins on the receiver module itself to allow me to solder it neatly onto the board.

Progress so far;

Next i added a 4 row dip switch in line with the receiver module pins used to select the channels. Since channel select works by connecting these pins to ground and since the next pin down on the receiver module is the ground pin i have connected this ground pin from the receiver module to the far (grounded) side of the dip switch panel all to the centre (ground) pin of the voltage regulator to keep things neat.

The next pin down on the receiver module from ground is the Voltage input pin so i';ve connected this directly to the V out from my voltage regulator.

I just need to sort the video out connections in order to test the thing. Unfortunately i need to wait for the right parts to arrive in the post...

More to come, watch this space!

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

teslahed

Do you the receiver this should have a capacitor on it between the video output pin and the video out? The spec sheet doesn';t show one is needed but on my previous receiver module based project i used a 470uF capacitor between the video output pin and the video out socket - presumably to filter noise and improve the video signal? Is it worth putting one on this receiver module do you think?

teslahed

I';ve soldered one in now anyway - lol.

Will it hurt to leave it in - shall i remove it?

teslahed

It works;

I just need to wait on parts to arrive before i can make some better aerials for them.

teslahed

I';ve added some home made 2.4ghz cross polarised antenna. One with 4 lobes and one with 3. Just need some good weather to test them now...

teslahed

I';ve been following this guide;

http://flitetest.com/articles/The_Skew_Planar_Wheel_Antenna

So far it seems fairly straight foward if a bit fiddly with the precision soldering and wire bending.

I will need to test these when the weather is better for flying and i imagine i will rebuild the aerials a few times before i am happy with them;

Please note - 2.4 and 5.8ghz labels the wrong way around - 5.8ghz is the smaller antenna :embarrassed

Unsurprisingly about twice the size of the 5.8ghz antennas.

teslahed

I now have a metal box to put my 2.4ghz receiver in to. Should i earth the metal box?

teslahed

I see what you mean about the chasis mount SMA connector but i added a solder earth connection as well (just in case) as it should provide a better connection.

Just need to test fly the thing now!

Gav

nice and neat, Chris.   Nice little project you completed there!