Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 08:45:23

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Duff RCTimer motor - part 2

Started by Biffa, Wednesday,September 25, 2013, 12:11:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffa

So some of you may have read that while building my FPV rig I used some motors from RCTimer and one of them had a broken winding thus rendering it useless.

What followed trying to get a refund was a little trying but I got one in the end and in the mean time as I was expecting a drawn out exchange of emails I had ordered two extra motors.

So over the last few months I have been flying and enjoying myself to no end but had noticed that the rear left motor was considerably hotter than the others, in fact the other 3 were cool so clearly something is a miss.

I had been avoiding stripping the rig down as I have soldered the motors direct to the ESCs, re shrink wrapped them etc etc but eventually I just had to swap the motor out.

Two flights yesterday and all four motors retuning cool as a cucumber and what is more interesting is I used considerably less mAh out of the packs. I reckon I can squeeze another 1.5 to 2 mins out of them which is very pleasing to say the least.

Clearly there is something wrong with the windings in the duff one or it is not the same KV as the others (the bearings are free and smooth) but I would never have thought it would suck so much juice out of the packs as it has been
Steve

guest325

If you think about it if it was different KV then the other motors would be powered up to keep up with it, thus the significant difference in power consumption - always best to put a watt meter on motors to see if they all pull the same!

robshaw

I had a duff rc timer esc whilst building my hex. I didnt even attempt to try for a refund as knew it woukd be a ball ache.

Just ordered 2 replacements and took it on the chin. Guess when your paying these cheap prices you take your chance with iffy quality control...

Just glad it failed imediatly and not whilst it was up in the air. :-/

Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

Biffa

I am sure I did check all the motors independently on my watt meter during the build, I don';t recall any massive differences between them though, so perhaps it';s not a different KV?

Either way I';m glad I changed it out now as I can fly for longer and feel a little safer. I always had a little niggle in the back of my mind when flying because of it.

If I ever do another build I don';t think I';ll skimp on the motors next time, saying that though they are plenty good enough for me.
Steve

guest325

I';m a bit like that, I don';t really see the point in spending a load of cash on top price motors when the model or airframe is cheap, but on an expensive airframe then I can justify the cost of a decent motor (like Axi, Jeti or MVVS).

Biffa

Mine was built on a very tight budget, but now it';s got a Naza controlling it and a Gopro on board I figured I should minimize the risk.

Just glad I ordered an extra motor when I did.
Steve

KeithW

Quote from: Biffa on Wednesday,September 25, 2013, 19:53:52
Mine was built on a very tight budget, but now it';s got a Naza controlling it and a Gopro on board I figured I should minimize the risk.

Just glad I ordered an extra motor when I did.
Steve,did you measure the resistance for the windings on a good one & compare with the duff one.Only prob the resistance is very low.Must always check zero on the meter with test leads shorted.I have Rctimer 2212/15';s & a tad worried now.How much should you pay for good motors,say 900Kv.
Seems quite a minefield for a newbie.