Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 17:01:20

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 19
Total: 20

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Do I buy a quad or hex?

Started by nickyb, Wednesday,September 25, 2013, 08:59:19

Previous topic - Next topic

nickyb

Hi,

A forum member emailed me some useful info on choosing a copter. He stated that a hex copter would be better than a quad for FPV and also aerial photography? Not sure I can really stretch to hex (extra motors, esc etc).

I guess a hex has heavier lifting? All I';m using is a GoPro hero 3 ona  gimbal and and FPV camera and TX. The quad frame will be a tarot t650 and is carbion fibre, so I guess this would be pretty light in any case.

Any forum members have any views on this?

Appreciated,

Nick
;D

flybywire

Nick
I think anything is suitable for fpv per-se, as cameras & Tx';s are minimal in weight anyhow, but aerial photography is a slightly different kettle of fish.
I am quite happy with my 450 quad setup (gopro & brushless gimbal) it';s reasonally well powered with 4 cell lipo';s.  I have a hex in the build, as there is a certain amount of redundancy in having 6 motors v 4.  Also a bit of extra grunt may help to get the thing out of trouble if needs be, oh and I hope will be slightly more stable perhaps (although as I say, I have no general complaints with my quad).  Other hex users hereabouts can give you more info. 

I';ll let you know how mine works out!

Andy
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Hands0n

My thoughts are that a Quad is quite suitable for purpose if it is well set up and has a capable flight controller.  Some FCs, like the Naza or a well set up APM, would be ideal for camera work purposes. 

A Hex will give greater lifting power, but if it is not needed then that alone is not sufficient reason to spend more.  But then in terms of safety a Hex can survive single motor failure if [again] equipped with a suitable FC that is capable of coping with such. 

A Hex does introduce flight time considerations - two extra motors to power.  That in turn may raise the cost of ownership by having to equip with batteries of a higher cell count (4S and above) and capacity (ie 400mAh+) that are more expensive at the outset.

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

nickyb

Quote from: flybywire on Wednesday,September 25, 2013, 10:17:12
Nick
I think anything is suitable for fpv per-se, as cameras & Tx';s are minimal in weight anyhow, but aerial photography is a slightly different kettle of fish.
I am quite happy with my 450 quad setup (gopro & brushless gimbal) it';s reasonally well powered with 4 cell lipo';s.  I have a hex in the build, as there is a certain amount of redundancy in having 6 motors v 4.  Also a bit of extra grunt may help to get the thing out of trouble if needs be, oh and I hope will be slightly more stable perhaps (although as I say, I have no general complaints with my quad).  Other hex users hereabouts can give you more info. 

I';ll let you know how mine works out!

Andy

Sound advice Andy, thanks a lot.

Nick

nickyb

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,September 25, 2013, 10:31:42
My thoughts are that a Quad is quite suitable for purpose if it is well set up and has a capable flight controller.  Some FCs, like the Naza or a well set up APM, would be ideal for camera work purposes. 

A Hex will give greater lifting power, but if it is not needed then that alone is not sufficient reason to spend more.  But then in terms of safety a Hex can survive single motor failure if [again] equipped with a suitable FC that is capable of coping with such. 

A Hex does introduce flight time considerations - two extra motors to power.  That in turn may raise the cost of ownership by having to equip with batteries of a higher cell count (4S and above) and capacity (ie 400mAh+) that are more expensive at the outset.

Thanks mate, point taken.

Nick