Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 18:16:49

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Given the choice...(re flight modes)

Started by Balders, Friday,September 21, 2012, 09:29:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Balders

...I use a Dx6i which is sadly lacking in three position switches, although I've found video's of using mix to create a three way virtual switch.

From what I've read, the recommendation is to have that set to GPS, ATTI and RTH modes, and avoid manual.

Basic question, is this a reasonable way to start?  I may be looking at using more channels fairly soon (ie an old 35mhz set with chainlink UHF tagged on) which should grant me more switches and dials than I currently have, but prior to setting that up, should I use those modes mentioned above?  Is the main difference between manual and atti that atti stops it from flipping/tipping past 45 degrees or so?  Ie I lose acrobatics, but have reasonable stability?

Does it self level in all flight modes if you take thumbs off sticks or only GPS mode?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to becoming a Naza owner.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

homersainty

Quote from: Balders on Friday,September 21, 2012, 09:29:26
...I use a Dx6i which is sadly lacking in three position switches, although I've found video's of using mix to create a three way virtual switch.

From what I've read, the recommendation is to have that set to GPS, ATTI and RTH modes, and avoid manual.

Basic question, is this a reasonable way to start?  I may be looking at using more channels fairly soon (ie an old 35mhz set with chainlink UHF tagged on) which should grant me more switches and dials than I currently have, but prior to setting that up, should I use those modes mentioned above?  Is the main difference between manual and atti that atti stops it from flipping/tipping past 45 degrees or so?  Ie I lose acrobatics, but have reasonable stability?

Does it self level in all flight modes if you take thumbs off sticks or only GPS mode?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to becoming a Naza owner.
naza self levels in gps and atti and yes i would say that is a good start if you don't wona do acrobatics tho in atti it is quite a bit slower as well (no insane climbouts and fff is also slower but still ok
balders thought you could fly manual if you can i would go man/gps/failsafe
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

Longnail

I managed to set my 6 channel Futaba  up with all four settings, 5 and 6 two way switches are used for GPS, Atti and manual and the gear down switch for Fail Safe.
Try to think of 5 and 6 as a three way switch, i,e, both switches down=Gps, 5 switch up=Atti, 6 switch up=man.
When both are up and you flip 5 down it will go into Atti.
Hope this can help you before you fork out on another radio. ~~

Den

Balders

Thanks for the replies.

I've got a much better understanding of how the whole thing works, having spent a couple of hours with it last night. Had some fun and games doing the compass calibration but that is hopefully sorted.

I left it outside for a few minutes but it didn't get a sat lock (3 x red, 1 x green (or yellow depending on mode) flash) so I called it a night.

Got to work til late afternoon but I'll have another go at it when I get home.

I'll start with it set to atti/gps/failsafe switchable, and once I've got some flight time in, may reconfigure to manual, I'll also have a look at my old FF8 (duff battery, broken rudder trim button) which gives me a load more, including hopefully camera gimbal control, which will be a nice to have eventually.

I've currently installed it on my hexa, which I know is a good frame, so will test/mess around with that and then maybe build a high power-ish quad.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

sausageroll

I have GPS Atti Fail safe programmed on my two, never used atti. Only thing is, to calibrate the compass you need to flick it between manual and GPS 6-10  times, so set it up for manual then calibrate the compass then put it back on failsafe....

Balders

Quote from: sausageroll on Saturday,September 22, 2012, 12:34:04
I have GPS Atti Fail safe programmed on my two, never used atti. Only thing is, to calibrate the compass you need to flick it between manual and GPS 6-10  times, so set it up for manual then calibrate the compass then put it back on failsafe....

Yeah I had to do a bit of range adjustment to be able to flick the switch between modes, I then did compass dance outside, and once that accepted (I had a few problems with it rejecting at first) I adjusted the endpoints back to where they were before.

I'm a reasonably competent pilot so will prob end up in manual and flick to GPS if it goes tits up to self level.  I still need to set fail safe from a TX power off, which I believe is set up by performing a bind with the switches in the appropriate place.  Just need to check my Rx supports fail safe as I read that certain rx's will not go into full fail safe but rather drop the throttle a bit. I've got a couple of AR8000's kicking around which should def be ok.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

sausageroll

The preset failsave thing is a bit of a con, they have 'smartsafe' which is not smart at all, and not preset failsafe.

Your AR8000s do though, my big hex has an 8000 in and that does have preset failsafes.

To set them, you plug in bind plug, power up receiver, lights blink, then unplug bind plug, lights carry on blinking. Turn on TX with switches set to failsafe position (I put throttle at half and fail switch set to fail) with the bind held down. THen cycle power on the RX and it will default back to those positions when the radio is lost.

On the DX6s its ok, but on the 7s, its a pain caus if you turn it on with the flap anywhere other than closed, (my mode is set up on flap switch) and with the throttle anywhere other than low, it wont turn on, so you have to turn it on, then quickly stick the switches in the right position before it takes the bind settings.

It works fine though and im much more confident flying the hex with the 8000 knowing if it looses radio range it will fly home again. Currently the quad has a simple 6ch receiver that does not do this.

Pete.

Balders

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified