Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 13:39:01

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FPV T/X modules in the UK

Started by nickyb, Wednesday,September 18, 2013, 19:55:19

Previous topic - Next topic

nickyb

Hi,

Am a bit confused and hope to get some help here. I know the law (without a full A level ham license) in the UK prevents anyone from using a FPV t/x above 25mW. What sort of range can I expect with this on my FPV googles? Line of sight of course.

All dealers in the UK are happy to sell ant t/x power you want, fatshark googles I think come with 250mW, which technically is illegal to use without a ham license. However I know and am sure there are members on the forums who use above 25mW without in trouble to anyone else.

Question is, if I go above 25mW am I really in for the big house if I get caught? Would it affect nearby radio hams and other domestic radio systems? Is the chance of anything being enforced unlikely?

cheers

Nick

gowen

Actually you are still limited to 25mW even if you have a ham license. 

I have seen reports that with skew plannar antennas it is possible to get half a mile out of your 25mW.  With directional antennas and tracking you can push that even further.

sausageroll

Everyone will be thinking this, but someone may as well say it.

FPV flyers are not really much of a priority for ofcom it seems. If you were transmitting at 500mw for days on end, or permanently, and someone complained, you might get in trouble. For ten, or twenty mins of use a week, and in different areas all the time, it is very unlikely you would get ';caught'; or if you did, weather they would care or do anything about it.

I deal with radio equipment in day to day work, I design and build radio devices that have to go through CE and FCC testing, and I have some competitor products that are illegal to use over here, there are thousands in the country and they have been around for about 10 years. No one has ever been caught, and they are sitting on the 900mhz band, which is what mobile phones use - far more likely to get caught abusing that band than you would on a 5.8 frequency.

People can make their own mind up, and just to be careful, I wont say what system i';m using, but all I will say is, I wouldn';t take the laws too seriously or be scared of arrest because of an overpowered FPV transmitter. There are far worse things for Ofcom to be dealing with (I also believe that the police cannot do anything about radio misuse, only Ofcom has the power to deal with this.)

I know a guy who has a 300w (not milliwats, 300 full watts) of power on a CB antenna on his car. Loads of people do it, and have been forever. Thats dangerous power that can (and does) interfere with alarm systems, TVs etc. Ofcom dont seem to care about that either....

Pete.

Biffa

I used to run 200w burners on my CB home station. Used to bleed all over my neighbours TV and radio.
Steve

Gaza07

I used to use CB in the good old AM days and some FM we used to live next door to a bingo hall, my brother came round one night and said i better stop transmitting while they are open coz all they could hear through the PA was one nine jungle bunny  :rofl:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

nickyb

Quote from: sausageroll on Friday,September 27, 2013, 01:08:56
Everyone will be thinking this, but someone may as well say it.

FPV flyers are not really much of a priority for ofcom it seems. If you were transmitting at 500mw for days on end, or permanently, and someone complained, you might get in trouble. For ten, or twenty mins of use a week, and in different areas all the time, it is very unlikely you would get ';caught'; or if you did, weather they would care or do anything about it.

I deal with radio equipment in day to day work, I design and build radio devices that have to go through CE and FCC testing, and I have some competitor products that are illegal to use over here, there are thousands in the country and they have been around for about 10 years. No one has ever been caught, and they are sitting on the 900mhz band, which is what mobile phones use - far more likely to get caught abusing that band than you would on a 5.8 frequency.

People can make their own mind up, and just to be careful, I wont say what system i';m using, but all I will say is, I wouldn';t take the laws too seriously or be scared of arrest because of an overpowered FPV transmitter. There are far worse things for Ofcom to be dealing with (I also believe that the police cannot do anything about radio misuse, only Ofcom has the power to deal with this.)

I know a guy who has a 300w (not milliwats, 300 full watts) of power on a CB antenna on his car. Loads of people do it, and have been forever. Thats dangerous power that can (and does) interfere with alarm systems, TVs etc. Ofcom dont seem to care about that either....

Pete.

Thanks for the info Pete, this is really good info I will take on board. It sounds logical.

I will be (at this time anyway) run with a 25mW TX, people say with a good clover leaf antenna setup and of course LoS I should get around 300m anyway.

Nick

omegamanuk

Just moved over to 25mw for my BNUCS and was surprised by the range you can get with a good antenna.