Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 08:09:09

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Teslahed's New High Res (640x480) FPV helmet

Started by teslahed, Tuesday,August 06, 2013, 13:40:25

Previous topic - Next topic

teslahed

I decided to have another go at building an FPV helmet because i am not totally satisfied with either of my previous two attempts;

The first attempt was comfortable to wear and had the screen a good distance from my eyes. Unfortunately i picked a screen that did a max resolution of 320x200 so i was losing half my video quality on the ground at the screen! Given that even the 640x480 that the camera transmits isn';t that high you really don';t want to be dropping any lower than this if you can help it. It makes the HUD info harder to read as well (text becomes blurry / blocky).

My second attempt used a higher resolution screen that did 640x480;

I put the smaller screen inside a foam tunnel that worked very well as a sunshield but wasn';t fundamentally any different to my previous setup.

The higher resolution definitely helps but the screen is physically even smaller than the first one. There is a certain amount of eye strain involved in staring at a small high resolution screen that';s too close to the end of your nose - fresnell lenses didn';t help me with this.

So i';ve sourced a better, bigger, higher resolution screen from ebay which has turned up today via hong kong;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140949217415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The screen does 800x480 which is higher resolution than my video signal provides, so i wont be losing any quality ground side.

For my third attempt i have gone back to the original idea of using two (fake chinese) carbon fibre poles and some bent wire coathanger to attatch the screen to the helmet;

I';ve now got the screen attached to the helmet via the quick release frame it came with and i';ve wired up the power and video wires to sensible connectors to attach the thing to my video receiver. I should get the first test video soon, hopefully!

And it';s finished! I had to tape about 50p worth of 2 and 1p coins into the back to counter balance the screen at the front but it feels pretty comfortable to wear, now.

The video size and quality looks to be about twice what i was getting before, which i am quite pleased about. Definitely worth the £33 i spent on the screen.

I have tested the blue screen feature by setting the FPV helmet and hex going inside, then walking outside and behind some stone buildings until the signal dissappeared. It doesn';t blue screen prematurely so i am not worried that i will lose my video feed whilst flying if i go behind a tree. I was getting complete static on the screen and it was still showing static. The only time i';ve seen a blue screen has been after pulling the video cable.

If i do get problems with blue screening i will try my cunning plan with the super simple On Screen Display to display voltage from the ground side lipo on the screen to keep it always on.

Just a question of test flying my FPV Hexacopter with the thing next!
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Biffa

Steve

teslahed

Just test flown the FPV helmet - it works great. I might had to adjust the counter weight slightly and i think my FPV camera needs refocusing on infinity, but it works fine otherwise. I';m definitely getting better video quality now.

Biffa

Quote from: teslahed on Tuesday,August 06, 2013, 19:58:37
Just test flown the FPV helmet - it works great. I might had to adjust the counter weight slightly and i think my FPV camera needs refocusing on infinity, but it works fine otherwise. I';m definitely getting better video quality now.

If you were flying with low quality video before, imagine what you will be capable of now :cool:
Steve

amxen

icedfusion

this looks like a really good idea - i wonder if I could do something similar with one of my old motorbike helmets I have lying about.

The problem I have with my fatsharks is that I cannot wear my glasses so I am losing ';sharpness'; there!

ice.

teslahed

Quote from: Biffa on Tuesday,August 06, 2013, 20:59:00
If you were flying with low quality video before, imagine what you will be capable of now :cool:

http://youtu.be/WpWpdQsUW6U

It does make it easier to avoid the smaller tree branches (still quite easy to hit them though if you';re not careful!).

(flight over a small area of private parkland).

dp106

Quote from: teslahed on Thursday,August 22, 2013, 09:48:17
http://youtu.be/WpWpdQsUW6U

It does make it easier to avoid the smaller tree branches (still quite easy to hit them though if you';re not careful!).

(flight over a small area of private parkland).
Wow that';s got some impressive grunt there Chris, really climbs when you want it! :-)

iWolf51

Great stuff mate, I just wish I hadn';t looked at your clip and the one JAB1a posted a couple of days ago.

There I was, a happy multicopter newb, content to fly my quad around the park, just a bit of fun when I can';t fly my single rotor heli.
Now after watching just 2 FPV vids I';m thinking about cameras, transmitters, receivers, screens and dog knows what else.

I';m starting to think joining this forum may be the beginning of an expensive exercise.  :help:
"Takeoff is optional - Landing is compulsory"

FlyinMarty

iWolf Thats exactly whats happened to me too... keep looking at fpv setups
Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli

ericb

Got the monitor mounted and soldered the connections, tidied up as best you can and it all works......cheers for the monitor link Chris ( Teslahed ). I was flying LOS on Sunday in the park in nice big loops and up high.....I really can';t wait till the weekend to give this a go.

My wife asked " why put the Multi-rotor sticker on it " ? " so I don';t look like a nutter "........she replied " your in a f****** field with a welders helmet on, with an aerial on it,what do you think you look like " ?

AN ALIEN HUNTER

Great picture on it though.......I may just plumb the TV in and sit with this on......the football will feel like being in the crowd  :scotland: Oh and we won a game of football.

Alien homemade , 330 homemade wonderful little thing oh and the 250 mini that is wonderful

teslahed

Nicely done - i bet that will provide a very immersive flying experience.

ericb

Hope so Chris....I know you are busy......CC3D etc.....but any thoughts on the Quad in the Coil ?

Eric
Alien homemade , 330 homemade wonderful little thing oh and the 250 mini that is wonderful

XamaX

Inspired by Teslahed';s newest headdress  :hmm: and maybe a few Beers...I present you with :

:wack0:

Hopefully test this out this morning but it looks like rain...
(obviously a bit of a work in progress, buy the idea was to have a bit of a "sun roof" to look out of encase I get a little panicky  :slap:

Modelled by my very gullible friend... :beer2:

teslahed

Quote from: ericb on Wednesday,September 11, 2013, 20:00:41
Hope so Chris....I know you are busy......CC3D etc.....but any thoughts on the Quad in the Coil ?

Eric

Hi Eric,

I can';t get the mini quad to fly at all. I may have to fake the movie with the coil by stringing the mini quadcopter up on a string and flming things that way.

Do you think the mini quad still flies?

ericb

It started taking off and going sideways for me, ocassionally it would fly ok. There is seemingly a way of recalibrating the gyro';s ( I';ll search ) but the string deal would show the outcome anyway ?
I have to say I';m very impressed with the picture on that monitor. I just finished and checked.....great. I also bought the video sender from FPV at £37 and that is great as well : http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/receivers/airwave-7ch-5.8ghz-receiver
I may just start watching all my movie and TV on this

ericb

Went out today as we have a lovely day in Glasgow.....light wind and beautiful day. I went to Cathkin Braes to try the new helmet and monitor setup....first mistake, camera battery not charged and no spare....fortunately the balancing lead plugs to my 12v camera, so main battery plugged in.....powered up the moitor and bingo great picture. This is my first go at fully emmersed FPV and I was on my own. I wanted to fly up behind the new wind turbine, a beast at 262 ft. Took off and thought oh my god where am I.....had a little piddle about and got some bearings. I then flew over about 80ft behind the turbine and went up...I have some vertigo issues looking up, so thought this would help me....it did, I kept rising till i was up at the top of the blades, stayed for 10 secs then started my decent....felt a bit odd and had a rough landing.....gave a whoop and a yahoo at the achievment......then went to the quad to find the lens cap on the Mobius still on...... :banghead: :rofl: I also use a camera that can record and I hadn';t put that on either.

I thought give it another go.....took off flew about 50ft out from the hill I was on and it fell out of the sky and broke one arm and a prop.......so p****** off.

Well new leg on, prop changed and ready for tomorrow ....all batteries charged......bad week with the quad, hopefully about to change.