Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 08:24:21

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Next Gen APM? 3D Robotics Pixhawk - open hardware, open source.

Started by QuadBod, Tuesday,September 10, 2013, 21:55:31

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadBod

This looks like it could be the successor to the APM 2.5:

https://pixhawk.ethz.ch/px4/modules/pixhawk

3D Robotics are producing the official board, and some of the same s/w devs are involved. Looks like it has some sweet features, and the stability of the optical-flow based loiter is really impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Jpq6DU_HVg

Key Features:

168 MHz / 252 MIPS Cortex-M4F

14 PWM / Servo outputs (8 with failsafe and manual override, 6 auxiliary, high-power compatible)

Abundant connectivity options for additional peripherals (UART, I2C, CAN)

Integrated backup system for in-flight recovery and manual override with dedicated processor and stand-alone power supply (fixed wing use)

Backup system integrates mixing, providing consistent autopilot and manual override mixing modes (fixed wing use)

Redundant power supply inputs and automatic failover

External safety switch

Multicolor LED main visual indicator

High-power, multi-tone piezo audio indicator

microSD card for high-rate logging over extended periods of time

And just in time for Christmas. I want one!  ~~

Hands0n

It will be interesting to see how much this costs and what its availability will be this side of 2014.  It certainly is a very impressive specification.

I';m wondering what the Arducopter code will do.  Will it fork between APM and the PX4?  Or will there be a single code base for the two?

I';m liking the APM 2.5 now that I have it stable and sorted out - but at the back of my mind is always the experiences I';ve had and that of others that make me ever so little bit mistrust the FC.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

QuadBod

$200 from diydrones, £166 from unmannedtech, and seem to be taking pre-orders.

I imagine the cheaper clones will soon follow shortly, given that it';s open hardware.

So tempted!

thales

Quote from: Hands0n on Tuesday,September 10, 2013, 22:23:31
I';m wondering what the Arducopter code will do.  Will it fork between APM and the PX4?  Or will there be a single code base for the two?

As it stands right now you can load the arducopter code onto the px4 hardware.  I';m not a massive fan of the apm codebase so deep down I';m hoping they might start with a semi clean plate for the px4 to take full advantage of the hardware, but I don';t think that will happen.  My expectation is that they';ll fork and leave the APM code to one side (with bug fixes and minor updates) and focus on rehashing the code for the PX4 to take advantage of the extra power.

Hands0n

That sounds reasonable, the Arducopter code for the APM is quite refined and the APM 2.5/2.6 itself a marvellous bit of kit.

I do love the completeness of the Pixhawk, it looks so very neat and tidy.  The increased power available can only be a good thing.

I';m going to keep my eye on this - perhaps make it one of my 2014 acquisitions once we see these coming into use.
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

QuadBod

Quote from: thales on Tuesday,September 10, 2013, 23:00:00
I';m not a massive fan of the apm codebase so deep down I';m hoping they might start with a semi clean plate for the px4 to take full advantage of the hardware, but I don';t think that will happen.

There';s a reference to it having a posix compliant real-time OS, so that suggest something new, at least at the core.

thales

The px4 runs the NuttX OS, which is what I think they are referring to.

I suspect we';ll just be running the ported over APM code as an "app" on top of NuttX, which is how the PX4 works currently.  Which means we';ll be retaining some of the APM codebase';s nice....eccentricities!

Hands0n

Early native Pixhawk code is likely to be a bit "quaint" to start with I';d have thought  ::)

Guesting the APM codebase sounds rather interesting and shows off the latent power of the new SoC.  ~~
--
Danny

rickp

Quote from: thales on Tuesday,September 10, 2013, 23:24:21
The px4 runs the NuttX OS, which is what I think they are referring to.

I suspect we';ll just be running the ported over APM code as an "app" on top of NuttX, which is how the PX4 works currently.  Which means we';ll be retaining some of the APM codebase';s nice....eccentricities!

though you have to admit, the current code flies pretty well and is remarkably bug free - so would be a shame to redo the whole ';bug removal phase'; of 2.6-2.8 - as that was a pretty expensive process for some of us...

thales

Quote from: rickp on Wednesday,September 11, 2013, 08:14:34
though you have to admit, the current code flies pretty well and is remarkably bug free - so would be a shame to redo the whole ';bug removal phase'; of 2.6-2.8 - as that was a pretty expensive process for some of us...

My main issue with the codebase is the actual code and structure, particularly compared to say Paparazzi.  When you have problems or want to make modifications/additions, it is a rather laborious process.  My dream would be for it to be refactored to be a bit nicer to work with, the functionality itself is as you say, pretty solid and bug free.
Afterall, I';ve had far more sudden unplanned landings while running ArduPilot on fixed wings than with ArduCopter or rotary wings!