Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 13:35:48

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 23
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

rctimer full carbon props

Started by homersainty, Saturday,September 15, 2012, 10:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

homersainty

OK got my 9" carbon props from rctimer and they look OK well good On the tops but a little dull on the underside well drilled the first pair out by hand could not Waite to get them on and  no time to balance yet gona go out and try them soon see how they are out of the packet I'm prity dam good at reaming props out by hand so
If you find yourself in danger of being taken seriously, then try to do something which undermines or sabotages that perception in some way.

teslahed

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with these - i have my eyes on the 8 and 9 inch versions for myself.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Gaza07

They look very nice look forward to your report on performance  :bravo:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

teslahed

I've got some 8 inch props now and have just done a short video review;

RC timer 8 inch Carbon Fibre props review

I have only test flown the quad with them over the bed so far, but they felt much more responsive and sounded quieter than any other props I've used before which i consider promising.

I'll post again once I've had a proper fly outside.

Gaza07

Very good video Chris well done, the props look nice and strong and far closer to being balanced out of the packet than any others I've seen, look forward to seeing your first test flight   :bravo:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

teslahed

I have done a bit more hovering over my bed and I've had to up the expo on the controls, the thing is that much more responsive. It makes sense as I'm guessing more flexible props smooth out the control inputs just by flexing more.

Plastic prop PIDs;

Carbon Prop PIDs;

although i may have to change them more once I've flown outside.

teslahed

And here are the videos of the bed hover test - i put both together, the first attempt with old old PIDs and the second one where i lowered the P values a little;

RC Timer 8 inch carbon props tested over my bed

teslahed

Just a further update on my progress with the full carbon rctimer props;

The 8 inch ones work great with my SK3 turnigy motors. Stiff, light and strong, i';ve only broken a couple and they';ve withstood minor bashes that would break a lesser prop.

The 10 inch ones have caused me some problems. I am using them with KEDA motors with the standard KEDA bolt on prop adapters. The adapter rings that come with the props for fitting them to different sizes of prop adapters are made of metal rather than the more usual plastic. The fit on the KEDA motors with the plastic adapters has always been tight, but you can get the thread to bite into the plastic and use a little force, then they go down straight and true. The metal ones are similarly tight, but they have no give so wont fit down on the prop adapters. I tried to force one by tightening the nut down onto the adapter ring to force it down the other end and just stripped the thread trying.

I managed to overcome the problem using the plastic adapters from some flyduino 9 inch props that just happen to fit. I';ve not managed a proper test flight outside yet though.

In summary; the props work great. The prop adapters are made of metal so they';ll either work well too, or else not fit, causing problems.

icedfusion

Some good vids there - You have convinced me to get some carbon props as well for my sport machine!
I wouldn';t have bought them 6 months ago as I was crashing all the time, but they do sound good!

ice.

teslahed

Quote from: teslahed on Tuesday,October 30, 2012, 16:25:30 The 10 inch ones have caused me some problems. I am using them with KEDA motors with the standard KEDA bolt on prop adapters. The adapter rings that come with the props for fitting them to different sizes of prop adapters are made of metal rather than the more usual plastic. The fit on the KEDA motors with the plastic adapters has always been tight, but you can get the thread to bite into the plastic and use a little force, then they go down straight and true. The metal ones are similarly tight, but they have no give so wont fit down on the prop adapters. I tried to force one by tightening the nut down onto the adapter ring to force it down the other end and just stripped the thread trying.

Since posting this i have discovered that the standard KEDA bolt on prop adapters that come with my KEDA motors have a non standard sized shaft (5.05mm or 0.200 inches).

The two standard prop adapter sizes are 0.188 inches  and 0.236 inches (according to the instructions that came with the APC props i just bought). One of the APC adapters wont fit and the other is too loose - which is the same problem as i was having with the metal adapters that came with the rctimer carbon props.

I just received a replacement bolt on prop adapter for one of the KEDA motors that had a bit of a bash and it seems to have been to standard specs - i can get my props on that motor and none of the others.

So i have to buy another 3 prop adapters now, but the 10 inch carbon fibre rctimer props should fit fine once I';ve done that. Don';t let my problems with the fit put anyone else of, it';s definitely the Keda prop adapters and not the props that are at fault!

kennelliott

I';m using 14" carbon fibre blades on a rct800. Test flights taking place right now and this morning for no apparent reason the whole aiframe attempted a sumersault snapping one blade. I was a bit surprised at the construction. The ';carbon fibre'; was more like a skin covering a lot of very coarse fibres and wondered if this is how they are supposed to be having heard of chinese makers using cheap materials and a pretendy carbon fibre printed cover. Anyone?

Calomile

Carbon fibre does splinter when it';s damaged/destroyed. They don';t snap or bend in one direction with a neat break - as the pressure is applied it finds its way into multiple weak points in the weave and fractures along them. That looks like many layers of weave, although it probably hasn';t got as much resin in it as you';d maybe expect.  :blink
I reverse polarities for fun.

JerryCampbell

To me they are smoother, quieter and more responsive. BUT they break MUCH easier.
All of the RCTimer props needed balancing.
Once I bent a plastic prop almost 90 deg. I just bent it back and continued flying.
I test things with plastic and fly with Carbon Fiber.
Jerry

I just ordered a couple of sets to get me thru the winter.

sonic_boom

a lot of "crap" CF is pultruded and some of the tubing is also pultruded, then covered with a single layer of woven cf.

On the other hand carbon tow looks just like that. and thats strong if wetted out properly.