Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 05:52:58

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FPV - Quad, Hex or Oct?

Started by Hands0n, Friday,August 30, 2013, 19:40:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands0n

Here';s a simple question, its the blinking answer that is difficult.

For FPV what is the best format of aircraft to use? Quads are obviously the cheapest to build and fly. But what of Hex and Oct?  Do you get any better stability?  I suppose better (heavier) lift capacity, but with a GoPro Hero that isn';t really too much of a consideration.  Probably lower flying times per battery, the more motors you have to power?

What';s the opinion? And possibly why?

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

teslahed

Quad or Hex. An octocopter seems unnecessarily complex if you don';t need extra lift and redundancy.

Quad - because they are simplest and fly fastest in quick dives.

Hex - because you';ll get almost 50% more power with a similar setup and increased stability too.

I am currently flying an FPV hexacopter because the quad was good but needed more power and it made more sense to add 2 motors than to totally redesign the whole power system. Stability and control are better, it';s a little slower in the dives than the old quad was but the extra stability even in gyros only mode makes flying around trees seem easier.

You';ll get lower flying times with the hex only if you use the same batteries as the quad. If you use 50% higher capacity batteries it should be about the same.

http://youtu.be/WpWpdQsUW6U

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Calomile

Also don';t write off tricopters for FPV.
I reverse polarities for fun.

guest325

Biffa

Quote from: Calomile on Friday,August 30, 2013, 19:55:29
Also don';t write off tricopters for FPV.

Indeed ~~

I almost made myself throw up FPVing with my tri copter it was that quick and agile :sick:

I have to say though, I do love the way my quad plods around and I can take in the views and swoop nice and low or close to things, but can also hoon back at pace when my timer bleeps at me. I am getting 5 to 6 minutes flight on a 2650mAh 4 cell pack which isn';t quite enough so may end up removing the top plate on my rig to take a larger pack.

I would think about what you want to get out of your FPV experience and then build around that.
Steve

Hands0n

This question has been in my head for a few weeks now, so thought it time to ask seeing as it wasn';t shifting itself anywhere else  :laugh:

I am quite enjoying the quad experience (LOS) and have not yet mounted a camera to any of my aircraft.  I think the Naza M Lite rig is going to be my FPV of choice, keeping the APM for larking around and doing silly auto stuff.

My goal is stability and smoothness and have an intention to mount a Tarot brushless gimbal (the Mrs bought me one for my birthday recently  ~~ ) with a GoPro Hero.  I would like to emulate some of that fine aerial video of places and buildings, particularly abandoned ruins (of whatever vintage).

So I';m wondering if quads are my best route, plenty of people fly and video with them. They';re probably the most cost effective. Easier to maintain etc. And I don';t really need hours in the air. Lots of short flights will do me just fine. I get a reliable 6+ minutes on 2200mAh and 10 on a 5000mAh 3S.

But the >4 rotors do fascinate me  :smiley:
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

QuadBod

Quote from: teslahed on Friday,August 30, 2013, 19:44:40

I am currently flying an FPV hexacopter [...]

http://youtu.be/WpWpdQsUW6U

Nice flying @teslahed ! What';s your video setup if you don';t mind me asking? It seemed almighty smooth given how you were chucking that thing around!

teslahed

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1809.30 build details

[smg id=351]

I get smooth video because i use small props that come reasonably well balanced out the packet and the vibes are lower amplitude and higher frequency due to the lighter props and higher KV motors which also helps. The frame is also very stiff.

It still took a fair few weeks of tunind and trouble shooting to get rid of all the jello but i am happy now.

mutley2

I';m new to multi rotors but have a Team Black Sheep quad for FPV';in, I get about 12mins on a 3s 5000mah setup and it really does the all I want. Nuff said...

teslahed

Quote from: mutley2 on Friday,August 30, 2013, 22:43:25
I';m new to multi rotors but have a Team Black Sheep quad for FPV';in, I get about 12mins on a 3s 5000mah setup and it really does the all I want. Nuff said...

The TBS discovery flies very well and has many good design features. It';s not the be all and end all of FPVing though. There are better performing better designed frames out there if you want to buy. The QAV500 looks similar but much nicer for long range fpv and smaller lighter frames will stunt fly so much better. The Reptile and Alien frames are almost identical to the TBS discovery but costs about £20 and just require a little more work with a soldering iron. Or you can design something yourself with better performance if you have something specific in mind. There is definitely an aweful lot more that can be said on this subject than ';TBS quad';.

Personally i think the TBS is a little overweight for what it is. I don';t like the design of the plastic arms all that much and the way they try and sell you special DJI motors that only really like special DJI props with the machined flats is also a bit of a scam i think. DJI try to convince you there special stuff is the best when in fact half the time it just cuts down on a bit of soldering whilst costing more. But when you get the whole system together and working well it';s very reliable for medium range FPV. Stefs was impressive at the NW meetup  ;D

Col_M

Quad, I have no desire to get a hex or octo, all I want is something small, light and fast. Big multis with gimbals, cameras, landing legs/skids hanging underneath adding weight and drag do nothing for me.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX