Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 22:12:48

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 29
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

APM 2.5 v3.0 firmware - Loiter and RTL Tested/Demoed

Started by Hands0n, Sunday,September 01, 2013, 00:09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands0n

I wanted to share these two short videos which already appear buried deep within my other thread about APM 2.5 PIDs.  The problems in that thread have been resolved and Saturday 30 Aug I took the Firefly 450 out into a large field for the first time since it';s maiden flight/s in my back garden.

The objective was to fly the aircraft more naturally in open space rather than the confines of the back garden with all its trees and other paraphernalia.  I flew Stabilised, Manual, Alt Hold, Loiter and RTL. The only mode I did not attempt was Auto, I';ll build up more courage before I go doing that.  ::)

So, first up, RTL. I flew the quad out about 200m from where I was standing and hit up Loiter (briefly) and then straight to RTL. I did think that it would land itself at the end of the sequence but that didn';t happen. More reading to be done as I really did think it did that  :smiley:  Anyway, the video

http://youtu.be/5g5GQiEisc4

Next up is the Loiter test, and what I was trying to do here is perform the same "nudge" demonstration that the Arducopter guys do on their website. It is quite impressive how stable the APM 2.5 is in that mode being shoved about.  I haven';t tried this with the Naza M Lite, something I';m going to have to check out next time I fly it.

And so the video

http://youtu.be/Vp1MMyO7418

I need to do a little work to tidy up the PIDs for the auto modes. Although they fly reasonably well, they are a bit jittery, suggesting the values are slightly too high. My plan is to do that when the telemetry kit arrives (hopefully this week so I can tackle it next weekend).

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

DarrenG

There is a parameter for RTL that controls the height at which it hovers when it RTL';s.

RTL_ALT_FINAL

A setting of 0 will have it perform an auto landing. Default is 2m.

As for the nudge test, my advice would be not to!  It looks impressive in demo videos but it';s too dangerous to do if you value fingers and staying out of casualty.
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]
@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

dazza22

its nice when a plan comes together...

I agree with Darreng , keep your hands away .. Just take a sudden voltage drop, APM glich etc .

Look forward to your auto test video , I got such a buzz on my first auto mission . Just make sure you double check your mission in mission planner and double check it again before flying .

Hands0n

Thanks Darren - I';ve set RTL_ALT_FINAL to 0 and will test it out next time I can get out.

No plans, gents, on sticking hands under the quad again  ::) It was one of those "I had to try it" moments - it was scarier than working on live mains  :o

Meanwhile, in other news ...

My Fly Away
I think that I may have found the answer to my Fly Away where I lost my quad forever recently.   Considering that I flew the APM 2.5 with stock OOTB settings with "powerful" 1100KV motors in relative terms it makes sense.  The reaction of the quad in the video matches that exactly of my quad as it shot up vertically from the initial hover that I had raised it to, around 1 metre from the ground.

http://youtu.be/42HnOx-4s-4

In this particular APM 2.5 I have installed the latest PPM Encoder firmware 2.3.16
Details here http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-ppm-encoder-apm2x-atmega32u2/
Discussion here http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-ppm-encoder-apm2x-atmega32u2/

I guess the best advice is, when maiden flying an APM is to make sure that Chan 6 is set to control Rate_P Pitch/Roll with high = default and low = something rather low!.  At least you';ll be able to get your quad back.

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2