Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,May 10, 2024, 11:36:49

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Members
  • Total Members: 8,197
  • Latest: bluebat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,428
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

RTL HELP !!!

Started by Cloudbuster, Monday,September 02, 2013, 10:12:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloudbuster

hi guys and girls !!! just a quickie that i am sure is a simple fix !!! i have been trying to set my RTL on failsafe so when transmitter is switched off it will RTL. I have set the PWM correctly on the throttle but when i switch my tranny off it just goes into land mode rather than RTL, i have the correct box enabled but just cant figure. any help appreciated. oh and GPS is fine full 3d fix !!!

regards rob
life is too short to worry about what others think !!!

[url="//www.skynamite.co.uk"]www.Skynamite.co.uk[/url]

kilby

Need to know at least which flught controller and which receiver you are using.

Much if the failsafe capabilities comes from the receiver
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Hands0n

Have you set the required FailSafe action in Mission Planner?  IIRC RTL is not default
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

rickp

Cloudbuster

cheers for replies !!! yes i have set it in mission planner in the failsafe section, i have set it to RTL in there and set the correct PWM,s it works when i switch the tranny off but it only says land rather than RTL in the failsafe page when i test !!

regards rob

kilby

Sorry just noticed (phones are not the best reading methid)

The spektrum RX I installed would initiate a civilised landing but would not RTL.

I suspect (providing rtl is enabled and the throttle value drops suitably low)

For the Spektrum family of receivers

The Hold Last Command mode will NOT do RTL, I still don';t understand why as the throttle value is well below the RTL threshold.

The Preset Failsafe mode which is the required, when binding make sure that your RTL switch is enabled.

Orange receivers just simply work with no issues whatsoever (Peter Kings youtube video gives a pretty simple run through)
Taranis+

Cloudbuster

Quote from: kilby on Monday,September 02, 2013, 14:17:09
Sorry just noticed (phones are not the best reading methid)

The spektrum RX I installed would initiate a civilised landing but would not RTL.

I suspect (providing rtl is enabled and the throttle value drops suitably low)

For the Spektrum family of receivers

The Hold Last Command mode will NOT do RTL, I still don';t understand why as the throttle value is well below the RTL threshold.

The Preset Failsafe mode which is the required, when binding make sure that your RTL switch is enabled.

Orange receivers just simply work with no issues whatsoever (Peter Kings youtube video gives a pretty simple run through)

thanks kilby... using a turnigy 9x tranny and reciever ... not getting this at all ,every time i switch off tranny the failsafe makes it land rather than RTL which is the box i have highlighted !!!

kilby

Quote from: Cloudbuster on Monday,September 02, 2013, 14:53:22
thanks kilby... using a turnigy 9x tranny and reciever ... not getting this at all ,every time i switch off tranny the failsafe makes it land rather than RTL which is the box i have highlighted !!!

Ah right I';m told that the 9x can be a bit funny about RTL, but that is second hand info.

Peter does make some mention of 9x and RTL here APM2.5 & Crius Set-up Failsafe but your mileage may vary from the info.

There are a lot of 9x users around here so somebody will be able to contribute
Taranis+

Hands0n

I';m using a 9X TX and RX - I updated the PPMEncoder firmware which forces channel 3 to 900 on loss of signal between TX and RX - I believe that when the radio signal stops that the RX stops sending PWM pulses to the PPMEncoder which then drops channel 3 (Throttle) low.  It also sets the Ail, Ele and Pitch sticks to 1500 (mid point) and leaves all other channels as they were when the signal dropped. 

You can see mine working here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yiumLTyXY

--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

kilby

That explains the Spektrum rx issue, the cheaper ones do the channel value but only repeats the last command on the other channels.
Taranis+

Cloudbuster

Quote from: Hands0n on Monday,September 02, 2013, 17:01:58
I';m using a 9X TX and RX - I updated the PPMEncoder firmware which forces channel 3 to 900 on loss of signal between TX and RX - I believe that when the radio signal stops that the RX stops sending PWM pulses to the PPMEncoder which then drops channel 3 (Throttle) low.  It also sets the Ail, Ele and Pitch sticks to 1500 (mid point) and leaves all other channels as they were when the signal dropped. 

You can see mine working here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yiumLTyXY

Mine is the latest version this all works as it is supposed to but just lands rather than RTL !!!! I am at a loss ... The correct box is highlighted in failsafe but. Just wont RTL.

Regards rob

Hands0n

Quote from: Cloudbuster on Monday,September 02, 2013, 20:21:15
Mine is the latest version this all works as it is supposed to but just lands rather than RTL !!!! I am at a loss ... The correct box is highlighted in failsafe but. Just wont RTL.

Regards rob

I';m at a loss what to suggest, sorry.  :cry   I presume you mean that it just lands wherever it is at that time?  Also, have you tried to set RTL on a switch to see if that even works at all?
--
Danny

Cloudbuster

Quote from: Hands0n on Monday,September 02, 2013, 20:56:46
I';m at a loss what to suggest, sorry.  :cry   I presume you mean that it just lands wherever it is at that time?  Also, have you tried to set RTL on a switch to see if that even works at all?

Yes it works fine from switch i i program it in flight modes but just no RTL in failsafe.... I am bewildered

Regards rob

Hands0n

Okay, well that is good to know.It means that RTL actually does work.

So two more things to check out or try.

First, go to the full Parameter list and check
FS_THR_ENABLE - it should be set to 1 "Enabled Always RTL"

Otherwise, chances are then that there is some corruption in the code or configuration.

If you can stand to do this then I suggest, if you have not already done so, to do a Reset and EEPROM Erase

At the CLI type  "setup" (without the quotes)
Then type "reset"
Then type "erase"

You';ll then have to go through the setup from scratch.  It may speed things up if you write the Parameters to a file so you can just reload them again afterwards. 

--
Danny

Cloudbuster

well guys i have given up !!! just cant get it to work on tranny off switch so have just stuck it on a spare channel and using the gear switch, works fine tested last night and did three RTL';s without a hitch.

all the best rob  ~~ ~~

Hands0n

Sounds a good compromise  ~~ - I have both set on mine (a switch and throttle low courtesy of the new PPMEncoder firmware).   So in your case you are only missing RTL on our of range - which is typically 1km or more. 
--
Danny

yurik_ryba

If the distance to home is less than 2m, the RTL will be substituted by Landing which I believe happens in your case.
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/failsafe/

Cloudbuster

Quote from: yurik_ryba on Thursday,September 05, 2013, 15:21:23
If the distance to home is less than 2m, the RTL will be substituted by Landing which I believe happens in your case.
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/failsafe/

hi there... this has been tried when it is a good distance away from home point and does not work !!! anyways it works off a switch so we will live with that !!

regards rob