Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 04:08:55

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Which Gimbal?

Started by Hands0n, Monday,July 29, 2013, 20:49:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands0n

My Alien 450 air frame has arrived, it is intended to be my FPV aircraft.  So obviously my first question relates to which Gimbal to go for?  Obviously I';d like it to be a budget price, preferably available from a UK reseller and one that you';d use yourself (or already use).  Oh, and I';d like it an all inclusive kit, that is with a controller.

I';ll be using it with either an APM 2.5 or Naza M Lite FC.

I';ve watched a few videos, read around this part of the forum and am none the clearer.   Hence my appeal for suggestions please.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

QuadBod

What type of camera would you like to support?

The smoothest action is with the new brushless gimbals, but prices go up exponentially as the weight of the camera goes up.

Hands0n

Ah, I should have mentioned. I intend to use this with a GoPro Hero3 Black.  I';m thinking brushless. Trying to keep to a budget of around £100 including controller.  Just not sure what or where to source from.  Google & YouTube have been very helpful in seeing stuff but I';ve got to the point that I think I';ve confused myself a bit  :smiley:
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

QuadBod

The best value Gopro 3 gimbal by far is the new Tarot TL68A00 [1], but it';s in very short supply so hard to come by. RCGroups.com are all over it which hasn';t helped [2]. You should be able to pick it up for just over £100 RRP including motors & controller (TL68A08 is frame and motors without controller). There';s also a compatible video / power cable for the GP3 [3].

Unfortunately you probably won';t find a UK reseller yet. The best price I';ve seen is from hobbywow.com [4], (8% discount code and free (surface) shipping), and while I can';t vouch for them personally, they seem to get reasonable comments on the forums.

HTH,
Matt.

[1] http://www.tarot-rc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_96&products_id=1029&zenid=210ccb0db343fb1f05c52436651fde93

[2] http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1917049

[3]  http://www.tarot-rc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_96&products_id=1028

[4] http://www.hobbywow.com/en-tarot-2-axis-brushless-camera-gimbal-w-gyro-tl68a00-for-gopro3-p234695.htm

Hands0n

Wow! Thanks.Matt. That is terrific :-) When I get to a PC I';ll take a look at.those.links. I';m not too bothered about waiting for delivery so an import isn';t a deal breaker.

Cheers

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

--
Danny

billmac

Hi Quadbod
Thanks for the links just ordered TL68A08 and the gyroscope ZYX22PTZ will let you know how i get on

Toledodave

Well looks like I need to get moving on my gimble idea. Even that gimble doesnt really support FPV. It (imo) is only good for ariel photos n such. Reason is because like most gimbles they only move in Pan and roll axis. Not pan and tilt like desired for fpv and headtracker. I suppose if not using a head tracker the pan and roll would be fine. But I purchased an actuall Fpv friendly pan and tilt gimbal for my hero3 black. It will work but its at its max range with weight (camera) vs size (gimbal). The gimbal I found is from Dronevision. In mean time Ive been designing one for the 3d printer.

Hands0n

@Quadbod - So if I order the TL68A00 is there anything else I need in terms of controller board?  Also, can I control the Pitch and Roll of the gimbal from my FC (thinking APM or MultiWii that has suitable Outputs).

I suppose the GoPro cable is just to save some weight by not carrying the GoPro battery?
--
Danny

Toledodave

Quote from: Hands0n on Tuesday,July 30, 2013, 23:35:09
@Quadbod - So if I order the TL68A00 is there anything else I need in terms of controller board?  Also, can I control the Pitch and Roll of the gimbal from my FC (thinking APM or MultiWii that has suitable Outputs).

I suppose the GoPro cable is just to save some weight by not carrying the GoPro battery?
Nah ya still need a battery in it but it will maintain by the cable :/

QuadBod

@Toledodave is correct - you need the battery installed in the gopro black to power it on, which is odd as the white and silver don';t need this, however I think even if you could leave it out, it would throw off the balance, as presumably this gimbal has been designed for COG of the GP3 with the battery installed.

Toledodave

The cool thing is that it will keep recording even after the crash with a bettery backup! :)

QuadBod

Quote from: billmac on Tuesday,July 30, 2013, 21:17:16
Thanks for the links just ordered TL68A08 and the gyroscope ZYX22PTZ will let you know how i get on

No prob, did you get yours yet?

I didn';t order ';till late Friday 3rd Aug, which would have been the weekend in China. It shipped the following Monday (5th Aug), and arrived, today, 13th Aug, so just over a week with the free economy shipping (EMS). It came registered (had to sign for it) and with online tracking too, and was well packaged, so all in all I couldn';t be happier with HobbyWow, especially with the additional discount.

I';ve put it together, and had a play and it works like a charm without any setup. The only issue I had was the PDF manual has roll and tilt motor connections backwards, which made the motors jitter like mad. Quick swap of the cables and all was well.

I haven';t mounted it on the quad yet, as the supplied mounting arms are for the Tarot multirotors, so I';ll need  to figure out my own arrangement.

powerlord

Quote from: Toledodave on Tuesday,July 30, 2013, 21:44:31
Well looks like I need to get moving on my gimble idea. Even that gimble doesnt really support FPV. It (imo) is only good for ariel photos n such. Reason is because like most gimbles they only move in Pan and roll axis. Not pan and tilt like desired for fpv and headtracker. I suppose if not using a head tracker the pan and roll would be fine. But I purchased an actuall Fpv friendly pan and tilt gimbal for my hero3 black. It will work but its at its max range with weight (camera) vs size (gimbal). The gimbal I found is from Dronevision. In mean time Ive been designing one for the 3d printer.

Not sure what good that would be with a quadcopter though ? I mean, on a traditional plane FPV fair enough - on a quadcopter - you have independant yaw control in compass help modes - so you can ';look'; in a different direction from the one you are flying in anyway?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

QuadBod

Quote from: Toledodave on Tuesday,July 30, 2013, 21:44:31
Well looks like I need to get moving on my gimble idea. Even that gimble doesnt really support FPV. It (imo) is only good for ariel photos n such. Reason is because like most gimbles they only move in Pan and roll axis.

It has roll and tilt, but no pan. However if yaw wasn';t enough, I';ve just had a quick look and the mounting of the gimbal onto the top plate is almost made to support a third axis - it has a hole right in the middle of where the bracket attaches that a servo or another brushless would fit, and the two mounting screws on the bracket are just the right distance to fit on a double servo arm or disc. Thinking I might mod my own!  :hmm:

QuadBod