Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 05:55:35

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Updated my ESC's

Started by barneyg, Sunday,August 18, 2013, 17:49:43

Previous topic - Next topic

barneyg

My ESC';s came with simonK firmware installed and the boot loader configured ...
I got a Turnigy USB linker a couple of days ago and Last night I recompiled the simonK firmware with a few tweaks ...

.equ    COMP_PWM  = 1
.equ    STOP_RC_PULS    = 18 ;1060       ; Stop motor at or below this pulse length
.equ    FULL_RC_PULS    = 2016 ;1860     ; Full speed at or above this pulse length
.equ    MAX_RC_PULS     = 2200 ;2400     ; Throw away any pulses longer than this
.equ    MIN_RC_PULS     = 14 ;100        ; Throw away any pulses shorter than this

and uncommented #define EXT_MOTOR_RANGE in the MultiWii config.  NB if you are doing this DO NOT calibrate your ESC';s everything is preconfigured and ready to go if you do the *_RC_PULS figures will be over written and you will loose the increased range that you need for EXT_MOTOR_RANGE  :rolleyes:

Not sure I';m feeling much of a difference compared to the basic simonK that was there before but one thing I do know is my PID';s are all screwed up  :rolleyes:

teslahed

I';ve not looked into this myself but it does seem interesting.

I am not sure how you';ve extended your motor range though. If i understand your code changes correctly;

STOP_RC_PULS    = 18 ;1060   
FULL_RC_PULS    = 2016 ;1860 

You';ve got minimum set to 1060 and maximum set to 1860.

My radio goes between about 1000 and 2000 so if i calibrate manually i would get a minimum of around 1000 and a maximum of around 2000 - which is about standard. I actually calibrate using multiwii';s built in ESC calibration routine, just because it makes getting everything exactly right quicker and easier - but i still end up with similar values.

So why are you using extended motor ranges for 1060 to 1860 ?
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

barneyg

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,August 18, 2013, 18:07:31
I';ve not looked into this myself but it does seem interesting.

I am not sure how you';ve extended your motor range though. If i understand your code changes correctly;

STOP_RC_PULS    = 18 ;1060   
FULL_RC_PULS    = 2016 ;1860 

You';ve got minimum set to 1060 and maximum set to 1860.

My radio goes between about 1000 and 2000 so if i calibrate manually i would get a minimum of around 1000 and a maximum of around 2000 - which is about standard. I actually calibrate using multiwii';s built in ESC calibration routine, just because it makes getting everything exactly right quicker and easier - but i still end up with similar values.

So why are you using extended motor ranges for 1060 to 1860 ?

nope they are set to 18 and 2016 the ";" denotes the start of a comment in asm code :) the 1060 and 1860 are the original values.

And if I';m reading the forums right they would suggest that you shouldn';t actually be calibrating SimonK ESC';s at all otherwise these values will be over ridden.  In theory there should be no need to.  Trouble is once you';ve done it the only way to undo it is to clear the EEPROM or reflash with the Save EEPROM fuse configured to not save the EEPROM during reflashing ... Or use avrdude and a Turnigy USB Linker since they can';t talk to the fuses and you can force an EEPROM clear no matter what the fuses say :)

teslahed

Quote from: barneyg on Sunday,August 18, 2013, 19:01:40
nope they are set to 18 and 2016 the ";" denotes the start of a comment in asm code :) the 1060 and 1860 are the original values.

Ah that explains things, thanks

What radio system are you using to provide these values? I imagine you';ll get more throttle resolution by doing this which might lead to smoother control and a more precise hover point - which sounds good.

QuoteAnd if I';m reading the forums right they would suggest that you shouldn';t actually be calibrating SimonK ESC';s at all otherwise these values will be over ridden.  In theory there should be no need to.  Trouble is once you';ve done it the only way to undo it is to clear the EEPROM or reflash with the Save EEPROM fuse configured to not save the EEPROM during reflashing ... Or use avrdude and a Turnigy USB Linker since they can';t talk to the fuses and you can force an EEPROM clear no matter what the fuses say :)

That sounds a little strange to me. Why would i want my simonK ESCs to default to 1060 to 1860 when my radio does 1000 to 2000? I would be losing resolution if i used the defaults and i would need to adjust the travel on my transmitter so that the top 10% or so of stick movement wasn';t dead space.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

barneyg

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,August 18, 2013, 19:17:00
Ah that explains things, thanks

What radio system are you using to provide these values? I imagine you';ll get more throttle resolution by doing this which might lead to smoother control and a more precise hover point - which sounds good.

And if I';m reading the forums right they would suggest that you shouldn';t actually be calibrating SimonK ESC';s at all otherwise these values will be over ridden.  In theory there should be no need to.  Trouble is once you';ve done it the only way to undo it is to clear the EEPROM or reflash with the Save EEPROM fuse configured to not save the EEPROM during reflashing ... Or use avrdude and a Turnigy USB Linker since they can';t talk to the fuses and you can force an EEPROM clear no matter what the fuses say :)

That sounds a little strange to me. Why would i want my simonK ESCs to default to 1060 to 1860 when my radio does 1000 to 2000? I would be losing resolution if i used the defaults and i would need to adjust the travel on my transmitter so that the top 10% or so of stick movement wasn';t dead space.

I';m just using a a 9xr ... My understanding of it is that the signal that is sent to the ESC is not what your TX/RX combo outputs but what the FC outputs that is important when you are actually flying the thing :) ... you need to configure EXT_MOTOR_RANGE in config.h in MultiWii too so I';m not sure what effect the MIN/MAXTHROTTLE defines will actually have that said you do still leave MINCOMMAND, MINTHROTTLE and MAXTHROTTLE at the "normal" values which doesn';t seem right to me, I';d have thought MINTHROTTLE should be 18, but there doesn';t seem to be any other information to the contrary to be found in the MultiWii forums.   

If I';m right then calibrating your ESC directly from your TX/RX and then using multiwii with the SimonK suggested values of 1064 and 1860 would mean you are loosing a bit of top an bottom of your throttle range when you are actually controlling them through MultiWii since your TX value of 1000 would result in an FC value of 1064 ... running the calibration build of the sketch would mean your ESC';s would line up perfectly with whatever is in your config.h which I guess is why everyone says calibrate your ESC';s ... if you configured MINTHROTTLE to 1060 and MAXTHROTTLE to 1860 there would be no need :)