Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 04:06:40

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

GPS Accuracy - uBlox Neo-6M

Started by Hands0n, Sunday,August 18, 2013, 01:16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands0n

I was setting up a Crius GPS unit for my APM 2.5 (new build) Firefly 450 quad and was examining the functionality and accuracy of it using the uBlox uCentre utility.  Interesting findings.

The Crius GPS is a uBlox NEO-6M (not the V2) and sells quite cheaply these days, mostly from Chinese suppliers and for less than £20 delivered, typically.  There is not a great deal of difference between this and the NEO-6M-V2 in terms of performance as far as I can tell. Although greater persistent memory and faster start-up seem the general improvement.

I am particularly interested in the positional accuracy of these units. They are often cited to be accurate to within 2.5M - I take that to be radial - which is not too bad, but could be the difference between landing on terra firma or somewhere less convenient.

Upon performing a normal start, that is to power it up and wait roughly a minute I got an accuracy with a 2D and 3D lock of 1.74M
[attach=1]

But leaving it for the full three minutes recommended by Peter King the accuracy improved even more, this time down to 0.83M.  A significant improvement still.  And it does rather suggest that the 2.5M quoted is quite conservative.
[attach=2]

Taking things a stage further - I grabbed a screen shot of a Google Earth view in uCentre showing where the GPS unit homed in on its accuracy from power up (warm start).  I am sat alongside the red car on the garden side of the fence.
[attach=3]

And so finally, I performed a Cold Start of the GPS unit using uCentre and the result is shown here - in this case, from cold start to full 2D/3D lock took just over one minute, about 1m 15s.
[attach=4]

So, it looks like these cheap GPS units are more than reasonably accurate, given the time to lock on and settle down.  The short Cold Start time is encouraging. And the recommended three minute wait before arming and taking off is quite conservative, although I am happy to do that to maintain a good chance of the GPS being as accurate as it possibly can.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

guest325

I';ve got that gps and found exactly the same - it';s really accurate if you leave it to pick up the satellites for long enough, patience is rewarded with better results!

rickp

Is it not battery backed? That was one change that happened on the 3DR GPS that made the startup time much better...

Hands0n

@rickp, yes it is mate. But from what I read the battery life is short lived, perhaps a day or so. The best proof of how well it does is the Cold Start where it';s memory is purged. One minute and a bit to full 2D/3D lock. After that it only took a few seconds following a LiPo change to regain lock in the FC.

I';d say that the officially quoted 2.5M accuracy is rather conservative.

Interesting other thing I observed. Whilst the GPS locked on quick enough the APM sometimes did not, and required a reboot to get the Blue light that indicates a 3D lock. Every few battery changes this happened. I have applied the GPS configuration file for APM. So that';s a bit odd really.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

rickp

Yup, thats my understanding. The battery is good for around 2 days in my experience. I always wait until the HDOP has dropped and I';m currently hacking the minimosd code to show HDOP rather than number of satellites as thats more important to me...

Tony Campbell

I';m sure I read somewhere that the APM board actually reconfigures the GPS everytime you switch on. This means that even though you have reconfigured the gps, APM changes it again. Apparently, if you disconnect the TX wire from the GPS after you have done the reconfigure, the APM can';t then change it back. Maybe someone can she some light on that??

Hands0n

@Tony - yes the APM does indeed write configs to the GPS. There is a massive discussion between various devs on the subject on this thread (midway through reading it) http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/apm-2-5-with-neo-6m-ublox-gps-not-3dr-lea-6?xg_source=activity&id=705844%3ATopic%3A1004467&page=13#comments

--
Danny

HowDoIfly

I followed the advice and loaded the custom ublox config file and asked about the APM re-write and was told I can disconnect the rx wire to prevent it but haven';t done so yet. As far as I can tell, my GPS is working just fine, gets a 3D fix by the time APM has finished booting and usually aquires 9 or more satellites in a minute or two. I';m not sure how else to analyse it';s performance. All GPS-related flight modes seem to work with no scarey surprises to date.
Ifly4 no more, Hubsan X4, R550v2, X650F-V4

Hands0n

That sounds like you';ve got it exactly where you need it to be  ~~
--
Danny

Tony Campbell

Theres a lot to be said, for not fixing something that aint broke!!!!

Marty McFly

Hi as Rick says the HDOP numbers are important,and also the lead developer says wait at least 3 mins after you get a solid blue light on the APM,better as I do 5 mins,Marty. :scotland:

rickp

Marty - I wait until the HDOP numbers drop - which on the first boot after a while can take a few minutes. But after a battery change, HDOP is down to below 2 (my limit) before the APM has finished booting...