Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 01:17:34

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Who can fly'NOSE IN'?

Started by Cozp83, Tuesday,August 13, 2013, 20:36:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Cozp83

Evening all! Just as the title says really! Couldn';t work out how to do a poll so i thought id just ask and hopefully everyone will reply! After watching bajillions of multi rotor videos on youtube and vimeo, i got to wondering how many of us out there can actually fly nose in LOS?

Been trying to think of a simple way  to teach this to friends of mine who';ve shown and interest in multi';s but are put off by orientation issues.

Rambling over  ~~
If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

Biffa

I can, I learned when flying helicopters by flying figure 8';s and gradually slowing down at the parts of the 8 when the model was pointing at me for longer and longer.

If you do the 8';s wide enough and far away enough you soon transition into nose in hovering and flight without even thinking about it ~~
Steve

strachg

Hi Cozp, i can fly nose in, been flying helis for years. The best wat to learn is to either get a cheap sim off ebay or if you can get a buddy sytem set up and go high and practice. At our heli club we use the buddy system all the time to teach people and they progress very quickly this way.

Graham
[url="//www.fpvscotland.co.uk"]www.fpvscotland.co.uk[/url]

steve fh

Yes but i';ve been driving RC cars since i was a kid and few helis and planes in the past.

I';d agree with the comments above that learning to fly big open circles or circuits is a good way to get a feel for it

Also get distinctive lighting on the quad. I have the usual red and green on port and starboard and then have a bright white led on the front shielded so it can only bee seen from head on. I found it helps a lot LOS as if i loose orientation i can flick on Auto level the yaw until i can see the white light which gets orientation back.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

Cozp83

COOL! I just plonked my first heli on the ground nose in and went from there. i also have no expo on yaw coz i like it super responsive;)

usnooz

Same. 3d Helis here. I bought pheonix when if first came out and that helped.

You can set it up at first so you only have 2 worry about 1 Axis then when you get used to the you can switch another on and so on
Phill

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia[/url]

Gaza07

I also learnt nose in with heli';s and phoenix sim much in the way biffa described  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

JT

I learnt about 3 months ago mostly with my hubsan x4(it doesn';t hurt as much), it confused the hell out of my brain for a bit until someone told me to hover nose in is like balancing a stick on the palm of your hand, that is whatever way the multirotor goes you move the stick in that direction to stop it. With those words I could instantly(and I mean instantly) hover nose in with my f450 and hubsan. Flying nose in and whichever way LOS was a doddle after mastering the hover.

guest325

I found it relatively easy having been chastised so much by my son when I was playing with his RC cars, I couldn';t afford to keep hitting the gutter with it - Schumacher spares were quite expensive at the time  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Hands0n

@jt - Err, wow! Thanks for that. It makes perfect sense to me. Damn, its too late to charge up a LiPo and try it for myself. Been struggling with Nose In , randomly getting it right, then immediately getting it wrong again.  I';ve actually got an image of this in my brain now ... its gotta work  ::)
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

billmac

Gav

Learned with Helis too and a knock off copy of real flight sim.  Yeah when nose in, if it drifts left push left if it drifts right push right on the stick. O0

Chami82923

Still learning, but I started flying nose in so that I could video myself on the ground, thinking about what the camera sees and working from there, once I';d reviewd a couple of videos it got much easier.

Reading the other posts, it seems it';s something you have to get your head around, and some find it easier than others.

Good luck.

Callum
LF 330 with naza & GPS,
Hubsan X4 & Q4
Mini H-quad with naza m lite.
F550 with naza m lite
Diatone Silverline racing 250 (cc3d)

nub

been flying heli';s for a few years but never quite nailed my nose in hover until i bought a hubsan :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

kilby

I was learning to do nose in till I crashed the quad last week (Im now waiting on payday), and found that simply circling while pointing in the direction of travel is a decent starting point. Figure eights became considerably easier after that.

Since last night i have been practicing o  a borrowed copy of Phoenix flight sim, but thats using a fixed wing model which requires more mental resources (for me anyway)
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

JerryCampbell

Quote from: Gav on Tuesday,August 13, 2013, 23:21:04
Learned with Helis too and a knock off copy of real flight sim.  Yeah when nose in, if it drifts left push left if it drifts right push right on the stick. O0
Real Flight Sim and Helis. But still hard for me until told me this.
I ran right for the Sim and tried it and that was the beginning of the end of me crashing.
if you can do this you can hover nose in.

iWolf51

Learned nose in on Helis, fixed pitch first, now working on hover though 360 degrees with a 450 collective pitch bird.
Its an essential skill for "hands on sticks" RC flight. You';ll need to do it sometime - and you better have it when that happens.
I use Pheonix flight sim as well.
"Takeoff is optional - Landing is compulsory"

rickp

Learnt to fly nose in with my (the?) first simulator - R/C Aerochopper ages ago. Refreshed myself using the hubsan and MCP/X ;)

Cozp83

Quote from: JT on Tuesday,August 13, 2013, 21:13:47
I learnt about 3 months ago mostly with my hubsan x4(it doesn';t hurt as much), it confused the hell out of my brain for a bit until someone told me to hover nose in is like balancing a stick on the palm of your hand, that is whatever way the multirotor goes you move the stick in that direction to stop it. With those words I could instantly(and I mean instantly) hover nose in with my f450 and hubsan. Flying nose in and whichever way LOS was a doddle after mastering the hover.

That';s a new one. And maybe one non Rc people could relate to. Gonna give one of my non Rc mates the hubsan today and explain it thiss way to them;)

barneyg

Yeah that is a really good tip going to try that out next time.

heli

I';ve been flying helis for a couple of years plus lots of other stuff. A combination of sim time plus little mSR heli really did it for me. Ultimately is stick time that gets it sorted. What we have to do is program the subconscious on how to fly so that we stop thinking about the flying and focus more on where were going.

I also found that ';eights'; can help the transition to real flying but what I do now is what I call a ';T';. Basically I fly from left to right (or vice versa) when I get to in front of me I left turn away from me straight out. When I';m out as far I want I stop, rotate and head back as myself. When I get close enough, I either hold the hover or turn left and carry on down the field. If at any time you feel uncomfortable or over correct just turn left, right or bring the tail back to tail in.

Cozp83

Keep em coming people! Might be a good idea to have a ';Flight School'; category on the forum so beginners have somewhere to turn to when learning to fly. A lot of forums focus on the ';Building'; side of this hobby and not the ';Flying';.

robshaw

Flying school would be a good idea. I';ve been racing rec cars at a pretty high level for as long as I can remember so my lefts and rights nose in should be spot on but after the best part of a year with helis and multis my stick control leaves a lot to be desired. In short I';m rubbish.

I perhaps don';t get out as much as I should and seem to enjoy the building and tinkering more than the actual flying. Would go some way to explaining my lack of skill.
Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

Cozp83

hey rob, ive found that as soon as i forget how much money is in the air my flying improves tenfold! i tend to fly my ';old'; models better!

i think we need a LONDON Flying meet.....

al-xg

Well I tried imagining the "balancing stick" with a Hubsan earlier and quickly got distracted but could certainly keep the quad in the air which was a big improvement, no graceful flying yet though.

On a separate note, how much assistance does the Hubsan provide when doing flips? It feels way too easy and I really don';t feel that game to try it on a larger quad.

Hands0n

Quote from: Cozp83 on Wednesday,August 14, 2013, 11:08:52
Keep em coming people! Might be a good idea to have a ';Flight School'; category on the forum so beginners have somewhere to turn to when learning to fly. A lot of forums focus on the ';Building'; side of this hobby and not the ';Flying';.

What a great idea  ~~ ~~  There are probably lots of us who are completely solo, that is we have no one to work with thats known to us or local.  So a Flying School category in the forum would be a superb place to gather learning ideas together.

@al-xg - Doesn';t the Hubsan have two flight modes, one is a sort of "assist" and the other "you';re on your own, duck"?  ::)
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Cozp83

The two modes on the hubsan are dual rates, ones 100% the other i believe is 60%?

Cozp83

Quote from: al-xg on Wednesday,August 14, 2013, 12:10:14
Well I tried imagining the "balancing stick" with a Hubsan earlier and quickly got distracted but could certainly keep the quad in the air which was a big improvement, no graceful flying yet though.

On a separate note, how much assistance does the Hubsan provide when doing flips? It feels way too easy and I really don';t feel that game to try it on a larger quad.

Try it man, worse case you crash and rebuild ~~

philtrum

I can fly nose in, its obviously not a comfortable a tail in yet, but will get there

a tip I heard from someone a few weeks ago when i was helping a friend to learn was to fly the quad by the side of you, then slowly take it backwards so you have to look over your shoulder

this way, the tx sticks still correspond to the way the quad is facing, but your brain gets used to seeing the quad nose in

worth a go
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil
[url="//www.makeitbuildit.co.uk"]www.makeitbuildit.co.uk[/url]

Rafter

"IT';S ALL IN THE YOUR MIND"  (Well that';s what my wife tells me).

It';s the psychological effect.  In my case, it was "oh no I';m going to crash and cause £100';s of damage".

So I bought an MQX, which I didn';t mind crashing.  I was flying nose in within the hour !!!.  As stated above, if it';s nose in and it starts to drift right, slight right input: left, left input.  If it';s coming towards you, this is when you have to think ';cause if you get it wrong you either do the "dance" to get out of it';s way, or you crash.  So if it';s coming towards you, pull the elevator towards you, going away, push the elevator away.  You';ve got to get over this mind set.  It';s the same as walking on a plank, if it';s on the ground, it';s no problem, but put it 30'; in the air and your natural defence mechanisms come into play.

I too always have a Plan B and that';s if I get confused a quick rudder flip and it';s back to tail in.

If you don';t want to crash your S800 or DroidwoK, get yourself a little Husban or MQX and go for it.