Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 05:13:58

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Self Build Y6 800ish

Started by steve fh, Saturday,August 10, 2013, 18:05:43

Previous topic - Next topic

steve fh

Well after much deliberation about what configuration of machine to build, which size and what frame to buy I finally settled on a Y6

Though i like the idea of buying a frame set i really can';t wrap my head around the prices of most off the shelf frames compared to the actual value of what you get, so i';ve decided to scratch build.

Other advantage of a scratch build is the ability to try different layouts and sizes at little cost.

Finally cut some parts last night.... 2.5mm glass fibre board from Ebay and 16x16x1.5mm square tube from B&Q

and next to the current spider 620 for comparison

I';ll add more as the build moves forward.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

steve fh

Some progress today.

A session on a pillar drill at work got all the arms drilled for hub and motor mounts and two new Tigers arrived to go with the four i already had.

One last flight with the quad and then started taking bits off and trying for size on the new frame.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Stripped down the trusty Spider this morning. These are great frames and it';s survived some major crashes and abuse.

Finding this de lamination on the power board has made my mind up that the Y6 is having a harness

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Progress feels very slow but lots of decisions to make re layout of parts as i want it clean and simple.

After a frustrating evening making a power harness with a soldering iron that on the blink i concluded that the harness was too messy. I';ve tracked down a distribution board that can handle 8 ESC';s at 20A (my motors pull around 16A at 75% on 4S) to which i plan to add a positive bridge just to be safe

The old board is in place for now for set up of wire lengths and mounting holes etc.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Motor wires need shortening once i finalise the layout but it';s ready to go. (Temp landing legs)

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Well after a frustrating day yesterday after a school boy error with ESC labelling it has taken to the air.

Y6 steady gps hover

Y6 1st Free flight
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

The 215mm landing legs have just arrived from Quadframe.com so that';s this evenings project sorted out.

Impressed with the service from quadframe.com  5 days from order to delivery including the bank holiday weekend
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

The new legs went together perfectly and give loads of clearance.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

teslahed

That looks amazing - i bet you';re pleased :smiley:

Are the motors on the Y6 the same as the spider? Given the sizes are similar i';ll be interested to hear how flight duration and performance varies between the two.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

steve fh

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

Calomile

Flies really nice man, I';m amazed at how well Y6s handle! Great build  :notworthy:
I reverse polarities for fun.

steve fh

Quote from: teslahed on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 12:11:49
Are the motors on the Y6 the same as the spider? Given the sizes are similar i';ll be interested to hear how flight duration and performance varies between the two.

The quad with gimbal a 4000mah 4S and Sony cybershot weighed 2400g and gave 8min of hover type flight before Naza 1st stage battery warning kicked in

Y6 with gimbal, gopro and 2x4000mah 4S weight 3400g and i just got a 9min of hovering about before Naza 1st stage warning

Both set ups were with the MT2814-10 with 11x5 Xaor props

The quad flew very heavy at 2400g and you had to pay attention as it would drop like a stone given the chance, the Y6 has loads in reserve at 3400g and climbs like a rocket

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Spent the evening with the soldering iron tidying up the wiring and fitting the 5.8ghz TX for down link from the Gopro

I';ve decided to power the 5.8tx and, when it comes the Brushless gimbal, from a separate 3S 1000mah Lipo as it keeps things simple and reliable.
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Carried out a test flight with two new 5000mah Turnigy Lipo';s yesterday. Result is 13m of usable flight time with the Gopro and gimbal on.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

Gav

after watching your church youtube video I am in awe with your setup - Absolutely fantastic video results from such a craft.  nice job -  I think you';ll get a lot of enjoyment from it mate.

mogwai101

I have just read this thread with great interest.
Looks very good.
At the beginning you say you had decide on Y6 after a lot of deliberation.  Please share with us what issues you were considering and how the Y6 came out top.
What material are the arms made from?
Tks

steve fh

Quote from: Gav on Wednesday,September 11, 2013, 23:03:27
after watching your church youtube video I am in awe with your setup - Absolutely fantastic video results from such a craft.  nice job -  I think you';ll get a lot of enjoyment from it mate.

Thanks Gav.  It';s got your Skew aerial on it which works spot on
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Quote from: mogwai101 on Thursday,September 12, 2013, 17:19:03
At the beginning you say you had decide on Y6 after a lot of deliberation.  Please share with us what issues you were considering and how the Y6 came out top.
What material are the arms made from?
Tks

Arms are 16x16x1.5 ally from B&Q

So Why a Y6......... well many small reasons (including they look cool) but the main ones were

1. General reading seemed to indicate that Y6 is more stable in wind (which in the UK is a big factor as i';ve specifically built this as a film platform)
2. The way i';ve designed it 2 bolts come out and the Arms fold back making it easy to transport (I';ve also made it easy to remove the landing gear)
3. It has more chance of landing upright if a motor or esc'; failed in flight which again is a big consideration with £££££ of camera under it
4. Wide angle means no props in shot with no need to push the gimbal out front and counter balance with Lipos

The only real negative with the Y6 it';s less efficient than a flat Hex, but the difference in the real world does not seem much and I was able to get the flight duration i wanted without going to huge Lipos

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

teslahed

I always wondered about the benefits of a Y6 given the loss of efficiency - but that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Losing a min or two of flying time is nothing if it means the time you do get provides better quality video. And they do look cool ~~
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

steve fh

The biggest challenge for me was deciding exactly what sort of flying i wanted to do. Once I';d pinned that down the machine config and design was fairly easy.

Acceptable flight time and frame layout all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

For FPV it';s important to have a long flight time as the flying is all about air time and good sparation ofFPV and flight gear for good range

For a film or camera platform it';s more about nailing a specific shot you went out to get which generally requires less time and you are generally flying LOS with the FPV only for framing shots so range is less of an issue.

Once i knew it was going to be a camera platform, reliability, vibration isolation, and smooth flight characteristics became the lead criteria at all design stages. I did a lot of reading on flight characteristics and  vibration isolation and that drove the overall design.

The Burrow Mump footage was shot with some props out of balance as i';d just bolted them on for flight testing so the reading up on vibration theory paid off or sure.

I also wanted it to be rugged and easy to fix in the field which also affected the layout. IE ESC';s out on the arms and no parts hidden deep in the frame under multiple stack plates. Also given that weight is the enemy i';m always amazed to see designs with say a separate ESC deck as they may look tidy but they just add weight

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

e.chipev

Awesome DIY multi,
Can you share your gains if possible...
I did something similar.. converted diy 800mm+ flat hex to y6 (to reduce weight and add some safety) and I got in the air this morning using the gains from old hex.. it flies :) but I want to compare.
Regards

Evgeni

steve fh

Quote from: e.chipev on Monday,September 30, 2013, 09:44:21

I did something similar.. converted diy 800mm+ flat hex to y6 (to reduce weight and add some safety) and I got in the air this morning using the gains from old hex.. it flies :) but I want to compare.
Regards

Evgeni

Hi Evgeni.

I like my multi';s to be a bit floaty as i find this give smother video as the machine is not making to many aggressive adjustments

To achieve this i run low main gains and high ati gains.

Current set up is 100% on roll and Pitch with the Atti at 170%

Be careful though as with these low gains the machine is nearly un flyable in manual as the main gains are low for a machine this size

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

e.chipev

Thanks Steve,
I started from 85% main gains and 125% on the atti then jumped to 110% all the way except yaw(90) and vertical (160).. when there is an input from the radio everything is perfect but when naza gps is in control it just makes a lot of corrections to remain stable.
I will try 100 % basic and 125%+ atti
Do you use 100% all the way(..yaw, vertical)?
Thanks again and many safe landings!
Regards

Evgeni :beer2:

steve fh

What is your take off weight ?

I did have yaw at 80% but have recently gone to 100% as it was not a strong enough hold at 80%. With yaw at 100% i have added a small amount of Expo on the TX to make sure i can still yaw smoothly.

Alt is at 80%

Try the Atti gains at 150 or 170% before you mess with the main gains
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

e.chipev

Quote from: steve fh on Wednesday,October 02, 2013, 13:40:17
What is your take off weight ?

I did have yaw at 80% but have recently gone to 100% as it was not a strong enough hold at 80%. With yaw at 100% i have added a small amount of Expo on the TX to make sure i can still yaw smoothly.

Alt is at 80%

Try the Atti gains at 150 or 170% before you mess with the main gains

AUW - 3.6kg (2x5000mah lipos)

I tried 100% all the way on basics and.. it';s fine but today it wasn';t windy.. Will see how it will behaving when it';s windy.
With 100 % on yaw and 25% expo is turning slow and smooth(I will reduce expo to 10%)
On vertical... It';s still loosing height in forward flight when I release sticks. Any thoughts? Have you experienced similar behaviour?
I will try with lower numbers on vertical.. tomorrow.
Thanks again!
Regards

Evgeni

steve fh

Spent some time today getting a feel for the Load V Flight time on the Y6

final flight was with a 2KG payload giving a TOW of 6030g

Flight time with a pair of 5000mah Turnigy 4S';s Lipos to 1st level warning on the Naza was 7.5min flying a mix of hover and gentle circuits.

My usual config is Tarot Gimbal and Gopro with a TOW of 4330g and a flight time of 11min with mix of hover and general flying about

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

Jumpy07

Looking good...

Havent had  my Y6 flying yet.. AUW @ 4kg with 2 x 4000 4s..  ecalc says @10mins hover.

I have been reading that a lot of people put larger props on bottom motors.. this is due to turbulence from top motor.. and this config improves flight times..  I was gonna run 10x4.7 on top and 11x4.7 on bottom..

What gains are you using on your Naza ?

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

steve fh

Hi Craig.

Current gains are

100% pitch and roll
150% on yaw
90% alt 
Ati gains at 170%

I find this gives a good response to the sticks but it';s smooth with it';s inputs when correcting for wind etc.  However it';s a handfull in full manual with the main gains that low but but only fly ati or ati-gps as it';s a camera platform and i';m not trying to fly aerobatics.

I did have the yaw down at 90% to start with and it flew well. however i';ve had a few issues with the yaw hold not being good in gusty wind so wound it up to 150% which has helped. Though i think from all the reading i did before deciding on a Y6 that poor yaw authority is one of the down sides of a Y6 / Coaxial setups.

I';ve read a lot about the idea of larger lower props but it all seemed quite inconclusive. I currently run 11x5 Xaor all round which is the recommended prop for my 2814-10 motors.

I will try a mix of props at some point but it';s way down the to do list just now.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.