Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,May 10, 2024, 10:53:37

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
02 May 2024 08:07:52
Who are most people ??? I think the person you are referring to has put in a lot of effort to keep things moving  :rolleyes:
hoverfly:
01 May 2024 10:16:12
Most people I have spoken to are pizzed off with the yellow peril  flooding the forum,go figure. :whistling:
Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Members
  • Total Members: 8,197
  • Latest: bluebat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,428
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Any suggestions for fail safe

Started by sturgm, Friday,August 09, 2013, 13:12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgm

I have have at last managed to get my quad very close to where I want to be ( special thanks to Rickp on this one).

My vibrations are down to +- 0.3 and my compassmot is at 13%

It hovers great.  Loiter barely moves, even in a brisk wind.  It really does fight to stay in position and hold it';s height.
RTL works like a charm.

So I am looking for a Fail save strategy

Any ideas ?

PS the APM is a 2.6 with separate GPS and compass

Hands0n

I would say to look to implement RTL based on manual switch AND signal failure from the TX.  I don';t think it important that RTL causes automatic landing to occur, once you have local sight of the aircraft you should be able to return to one of the manual modes to control what happens next.

But also ensure the aircraft has some identification so that if lost it can be returned to you if/when found. Also a "lost aircraft" audio alarm that activates on loss of or no received input from the TX after a period of time. 

I am not sold on simple Auto-Land strategies - useless if you';re over water or off the edge of a cliff or similar.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

kilby

As I discovered (if you mean rtl type failsafe) it can also be dependant on the receiver that you are using.

Im using an apm 2.5 and so far no compass problems (just my crappy piloting)

My spektrum 610 does a nice controlled descent to the ground but doesn';t return home (not good if over water)

The Orange rx gives me full rth on signal loss, but poyentally has a bermuda triangle for reception at the flying club that I have started attending
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

sturgm

Thanks for the suggestions.  One of the main reasons I ask is because of this.

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=553.msg4178#msg4178

I posted this last year.  I really do not what to go there again.

I have not looked yet, but I am guessing that I could do a RTL on loss of signal ?
what about low battery ?.  I have a 3DR battery module fitted as well.

Any idea how long the battery would have left ?  I noticed that the RTL speed was quite fierce
and I was standing too close to ';home'; and had to run out of the way as it over shot by a few feet
to where I was standing!

I have now modified the return speed to 250 from 500.

Any other events worth noting ?

Thanks

kilby

In the current Mission Planner version there is an option for failsafe on low battery voltage (user definable value)

However I have not used this and I can';t test it at the moment (my quad is hospitalised because I forgot to disable throttle cut after reinstalling the Orange receiver :( )

On the current versions RTL on signal loss definitely works because I tried it, but results vary depending on the receiver used.

What receiver are you using (I';m also told that the Turnigy x9 can be a bit funny about failsafe)

Peter King has a couple of videos regarding configuring failsafe on APM quads http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQx4lLeXHIzZPBBDHC50O2w
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Hands0n

Quote from: sturgm on Friday,August 09, 2013, 15:22:17

I have not looked yet, but I am guessing that I could do a RTL on loss of signal ?
what about low battery ?.  I have a 3DR battery module fitted as well.

My view is that RTL on Low Battery is unlikely to be too viable.  Depending on what the low limit is set at you are more likely to find that there is insufficient battery to get back to home and land.  So typically a controlled landing is what is required - just make sure you';re not over a loss-potential such as cliff, open water or other hazardous location.

I prefer using one of those low battery audio alarms - you can hear them for miles. Just set it at a sufficient level for you to bring the aircraft back to a safer area and then hit up the RTL or land it as quickly as you safely can.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

peter_a

I`ve set my battery fail_safe with about 6 minutes of battery life and also via switch , but not set it on Rx going out of range until I get out of the habit of switching my Tx off first , but not sure if that is a problem anyway with the naza if I`ve allowed it to disarm.   

firey1

if you use the buzzer on the apm I have mine for arm/disarm it also acts as a low battery warning i used one from a lost plane alarm as it already has the power driver in it and can just be plugged straight onto the pins and if the quad does go down will continue till disarmed or battery goes flat
A good cheap light safety device
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

sturgm

Thanks all for the great ideas.  I will have a good think and see what suits for me.