Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 02:08:09

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

V Tail

Started by Biffa, Tuesday,August 06, 2013, 17:37:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffa

So I have mustered up enough spare parts recently so thought I would build a V tail.

No build pics as I sort of just bodged as I went along. Really like the way it flies, much more yaw authority than a regular quad but none of the quirks of a servo tailed tri copter.

Will get a video sorted once one of the kids is around.
Steve

barneyg

I';m loving it ... Ever since I started with this at the beginning of the year I';ve wanted one of these :

Biffa

That';s what I have on my PC desktop ~~

But it';s in flight rather than a mock up. Going to have to see if I can get some arty shots of my own models to use.
Steve

JT

Looks cool, look forward to seeing the video of it in flight.
  I was thinking about making one after watching the impressive flitest and simplecopter recent v-tail videos, that and the fact that I err parked my quad a little too quickly the other night....... :whistling:

teslahed

That V tail looks great. I look forward to hearing what you think compared with quads and tris after you';ve had the chance to fly it for longer.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Biffa

Quick video of how it performs:

V Tail quad test
Steve

Hands0n

Just watched the FliteTest lads V-tail video, and now yours. That looks an awesome aircraft.  ~~ ~~  Did you base it on any particular plan, or just scratch built from what you';ve seen others do?
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

philf

I like that a lot! What battery are you using? ~~

guest325

That';s ace, looks like my next project which was going to be a Tri is now definitely going to be a V Tail (didn';t like having to use a servo driven Yaw) - What angle did you mount your rear motors at - there seems to be either 30deg or 40deg being used (45deg not giving good results)?

barneyg

Which FC/firmware are you using ?

If it is multiwii did you add the v tail patches from the hunter vtail thread on rcgroups ?

JT

Nice  :cool:  The yaw control looks ace!

Biffa

Cheers guys.

@HandsOn It';s not based on a specific plan but more from observations of other models, and based around two 450 quad top plates as that is what I had spare. I also wanted to keep it light so I used wood rather than regular quad arms.

@Philf It';s a Zippy Flightmax 2200mAh 40C pack. Got loads of oomph and come down so cool you wouldn';t even think it had been flown.

@Darrel The motors are mounted at 40 degrees. From what I have read it seems to be the optimum angle.

@Barney It';s running a KK2.0 board running 1.6 firmware on stock V Tail settings. I have upped the stick scaling a little bit and have to tune a little more but the KK seems to be doing a great job.

@Teslahed I was a little dubious at first of the design but even just having flown it for a day it has a much more locked in feel when compared to the tri copter with servo driven tail.

It seems to lend itself well to being thrown around and in the right hands could be well suited to flips and rolls and quite aggressive sport flying. Certainly feels more agile than a tri copter and regular quad, to me at least. I suppose what also helps is it';s quite light when compared with my other builds.

What I might do is get some more wood and rebuild my tri copter to compare, but I';m thinking the v tail will still come out on top.

@JT The yaw is fantastic. I thought the yaw on my tri copter was good but this is much better I think.
Steve