Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 02:00:24

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 31
Total: 31

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Waterproofing boards and sensors.

Started by ChrisH, Friday,August 02, 2013, 20:39:18

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisH

While sitting here watching the rain come down in Yorkshire stair rods a thought trickled its way into the conscious side of my brain. The average multi has a number of sensors or small circuit boards in various exposed areas of the craft. What would be the negative impact of spraying with a silicon spray (obviously avoiding sensors) to make them water proof or at least water resistant? Silicon has a high dielectric strength so shouldn';t cause a problem?  :hmm:

Also I thought about a basic waterproofing of an IMU with carefully applied heatshrink. Would it interfere with its operation? Anyone tried either method? :hmm:

Just thinking about adding a bit more resistance to light rain, not downpours or river dunking!  :whistling:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

shortwave

We use Silicon spray on our two-way radios I do repairs for the RNLI and lifeguards etc I always cover their radios to Silicon spray you';d be amazed at how well it helps the thing to remember is it is a good insulator so just be careful you don';t get too much on the contacts cover them up first

Gav

orfordness

DJI Mavic Pro
Tarot 680 Pro Hex
450 (Flamewheel clone) x 4
Hubsan X4
CS022 Mini Quad

ChrisH

Quote from: orfordness on Saturday,August 03, 2013, 21:14:30
Put it all in a waterproof box?
Would need to be a big box!! :o
Rx, FC, Altimeter, Vx, Gimbal controller, battery alarm, etc, etc  :laugh:
Chris
Hubsan X4

shortwave

Very simple cheap way is to put a latex glove over electrics and cable tie round wires

Col_M

Just spray it with this stuff when it';s available :smiley:
NeverWet Arrives - Hands-On Product Demonstration

I don';t see why it wouldn';t take off from under water as long as you had a radio signal.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

ChrisH

Looks impressive!  ~~

Wonder when it will become commercially available here?

How well do you think it would work on things like a Naza, ESC';s or the Rx where you cannot easily get inside?

Who would be prepared to try it in a pond?  :hmm:
Chris
Hubsan X4

guest325

ChrisH

Oops. :o

Like life, if it looks too good to be true it probably is!  :(
Chris
Hubsan X4

Col_M

Yeah I saw that video too, it';s a bit naff but I';m sure it won';t be long until someone perfects it.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

mogwai101

The Rustoleum looks like something with a very interesting future.
There will be some situations where being able to ensure that water does not penetrate for a short time will already be a big deal.  It is a product to follow.

guest325

It';s not new, it';s been about for quite a while now if they are using the same technology - used it to make windscreens on rally cars keep clear, almost made wipers unnecessary.
http://www.nanocoatings.com/zyvere.html

rsmith21

Quote from: DarrellW on Monday,August 05, 2013, 17:38:48
It';s not new, it';s been about for quite a while now if they are using the same technology - used it to make windscreens on rally cars keep clear, almost made wipers unnecessary.
http://www.nanocoatings.com/zyvere.html

Its so expensive  :cry, I wonder too if you coated the entire board would the Rx plugs ETC still make good contact it would be a very expensive experiment if it went wrong. I just fly on dry days and away from water whenever possible  :crossfingers:
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

kilby

Would be best to mask any connectors, barometers etc before using it

9oz would coat a lot of boards
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

teslahed

The future of waterproofing technology is a nano-tech coating along the lines of what';s been posted already. The difference is how it';s applied.

If you put your electronics in a vacuum chamber then inject enough molecules of the coating in gas form, the molecules perfectly evenly coat the outside of whatever you put in the chamber - where ';outside'; includes the insides and any air / water gaps that might exist.

Water will run straight off the circuit boards.

http://youtu.be/stoGsBsMIN4

http://www.p2i.com/

At the moment they are deperately trying to get the economies of scale up so that they can install a few of these machines in a large mobile phone factory. So many phones get damages / returned due to water damage that the first person to get this working on a mass scale, cheaply enough, will make a lot of money.

The spray on coatings work similarly well but wear off far too quickly to be useful. If you coat the inside of all your electronics in a vacuum chamber it lasts much better.

It doesn';t help us much right now but i may try and borrow some time on my dads waterproofing machine at some point in the future, if possible.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.