Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,April 23, 2024, 23:35:55

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,426
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 36
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Spark Suppression

Started by esoarer, Friday,August 02, 2013, 10:35:03

Previous topic - Next topic

esoarer

My new multi-rotor platform uses a 6S Lipo.
I get a heavy spark on the bullet connectors when I connect up as the initial surge is going out to 6 x 40A ESC';s and I guess into the extra capacitors I have fitted to the power line into each ESC.
It doesn';t seem to be causing an RF problem, but the connectors are taking a pounding!
I';m no expert, but I am I right in believing that normal spark suppression techniques using a resistor and capacitor could resolve this problem? Does the attached pic provide the info I need?

Thanks for your help!

ChrisH

I get big splashes from the Deans connectors on my 3S powered quad every time. My new build uses XT60 connectors on a hex and minimal splashes at any time.

It varies depending on the connectors you use!  :whistling:

Don';t know if the spark suppression route would work for such a powerful but short pulse of power. But that';s what it should do... :hmm:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

ChrisH

In case you are interested Jumpy07 (Craig) has a very interesting guide on battery connector types at http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1032.0
~~
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

esoarer

Thanks for the useful response !

After further research and contacting a flying buddy who knows much more than I do - I HAVE THE ANSWER !! As Below:

"The spark is due to all the electrolytic capacitors around the system needing to charge when power is applied and you cannot suppress it as such.  (Suppressing techniques are designed to absorb the spark into the capacitors of the suppressors).

The  solution would be a two stage switch on.  In essence this requires a double connector arrangement and a series resistor.  First connector connects to the batteries via a resistor and the capacitors then charge up through this resistor.  A short time later the main connector links across the resistor as this no longer has to carry the initial charging current.  This is effectively what is often done in industrial motor controllers.

Good news is that you do not need to build all this.  Take a look at Jeti Anti–Spark  connectors available from Electric Wingman, 4mm rated 75A http://www.electricwingman.com/jeti-anti-spark-connectors-4mm.aspx and 5.5mm rated 150A .  http://www.electricwingman.com/product.aspx?product=2346.  They work by using the technique described above with the resistor built in to one of the connectors  (connect this one last).

A description of operation here  http://www.modellhobby.de/Electronic/Electronic-Speedcontrollers/Jeti-anti-spark-connector-set-5-5mm.htm?shop=k_staufenb_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=058ABL55&t=9&c=22&p=22

I hope that info may help anyone with the same problem as I have (had!)

Toledodave

This cured my problem. Battery is always connected along with constant ground and only connecting the red positive to power the copter rather then both positive and negative everytime. I bought this one for couple bucks. But is easily made.  Also nice during trouble shooting you can teather a lead line to it like a rip cord for an emergency shut down then remove for flight.