Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 12:34:33

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 23
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 24
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Hands0n's FPV Build

Started by Hands0n, Thursday,August 01, 2013, 00:01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands0n

Okay, so by now I think that I';m getting into the right neck of the woods to commence my own FPV build, the base ambition of getting into flying multi-rotors in the first place.  They fascinate me, and FPV fascinates me even more.

I';ve gone for an 450 sized Alien airframe, that size is now familiar to me and the Alien platform makes for a good amount of real estate for the various bits and pieces.  I do think that later in the game I';ll want to build a Hex but for now a Quad is more than good enough.

So far I have the 450 Alien, four HK Blue ESC with SimonK firmware, four Turnigy 1100KV motors (same as on my quad), loads of ABS props but am thinking of getting some carbon reinforced and later still some carbon fibre. A Turnigy 5A UBEC is ready to power the FC.

I also have Turnigy 9X transmitter and receiver that has not yet been pressed into service.

And so I have to make a choice of FC board - and for that I have an APM 2.5 and a Naza M Lite.  My instinct says to go for the APM, but I will most likely start with the Naza M Lite and see how I get on with that. 

The plan, then, is to build the quad and get it set up in just its basic form - ensure I can get it airworthy.  Then I will add on the Tarot TL68A00 gimbal and main camera, a GoPro Hero3 Black for use with LOS flying.  After which I will look to mount the FPV kit to the aircraft.

For goggles I will go with the FatShark - anyone got suggestions as to which particular one I should consider, there seem to be a few.  Oh, and I';ll be sure to pick up a set of aerials from this forum - they get a good write up  :smiley:

Here';s a pic of the four motors and UBEC.  More will follow as I progress the build. It won';t be a rush job, although I';d like to think that I will be able to maiden flight it within a week or so.

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

FlyinMarty

Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli

jimbo385

F450 Clone KK2.0 General Batting around!

FPV550 KK2.0 FPV No gear on it yet!

DJI F350 Naza Lite Naza Experience

FPV 250 With RCTimer Power kit. Pocket Rocket!

Wishlist - Tarot FY680 Pro

Hands0n

OMG I had forgotten that I had started this thread! Got a head like a sieve sometimes  ::) 

I completed the build on Saturday 3/Aug and posted up a new thread about it here --> http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3766.0  The maiden flight is video';d there also. 

It needs a bit of work around the power distribution - I';ve lashed up a temporary arrangement to get it airborne. But in every other respect it is working rather well, I must say.

I went out with it today, back to that field near Cliff in Kent where I trashed my original 450 way back when I was a rank beginner, flying a KK2 board, the wind took it away and trashed two arms and my dignity  :laugh:  I';ll write about that adventure in the other thread, there was one particular pant-filling "highlight"  :o

I';m not yet sure about the Naza M Lite - it certainly is the most stable FC I';ve ever flown with. I suspect that it is perfectly suited to FPV. So maybe I';ll use the APM 2.5 in my older quad (the 450), treat it to a set of proper DJI arms and may have to sort out the motors that I suspect are a bit sad around the bearings side. But thats for another thread.

This rig is currently weighing in at 961gm unladen.  Adding the 2200 3S LiPo takes it up to 1137gm.  Flight-wise, it takes off at just under 50% throttle and climbs very positively at 50%. I am not using any throttle curve adjustment, just good old out-of-the-box straight line. 

Flight time with the 2200 3S is just 8m7s according to my yoof who was timing each flight. I flew four batteries today and got pretty much the same out of each in rather dreadfully windy conditions where the Naza had to do some work to do my bidding.  I';m quite happy with that but ...

I did some research on higher capacity 3S LiPo in terms of weight and size.  Looking at Zippy 4000 and 4500 they are similarly sized.  In terms of weight, the Zippy 4000 comes in at 286gm and the 4500 is 360gm which raises the laden weight of the aircraft to 1,247gm and 1,321gm respectively.  Erring to the side of caution I have ordered in a Zippy 4000 from Hobby King, they have them in stock at the UK warehouse according to the website.  My expectation is that I should be able to turn that 8 minutes flight time (at 2200mAh) into some 12 - 14 minutes, or thereabouts.  Then I';ll probably lose some of that when mounting the remaining kit.

Next steps?
The Mrs has ordered me a Tarot gimbal for my birthday present. It is designed specifically for GoPro Hero cameras. I have a Hero3 Black waiting. 

Then I have to sort out the Video TX/RX equipment, possibly a separate video camera >600TVL, and of course a set of video goggles.

I may also revisit the TX/RX to see if I can sort out radio FailSafe (after today';s episode!).  :o :frantic: :o  See the other thread  :smiley:
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2