Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 23:38:21

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Hybrid

Started by johnmc, Monday,July 29, 2013, 17:18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmc

Seeing as my chopper to offshore has been cancelled again, I';ve had plenty of thinking time these last two days...and...
I was wondering if an aiop board could be used as a FC for a hybrid quadcopter/glider? My thinking....

A normal quadcopter connected to a glider/plank frame. Two servos on the plank, one to control up/down pitch and the other to control the yaw. The servos could be controlled using the Gimbal rc inputs, say by using a tgy 9x which has two dial knobs I think?
Take off with the quad, float around for ages using the plank, come in to land with the quad.
Two aircraft, one controller, oodles of flight time.
Has this been tried before because I can';t find anything with a quick Google?
Am I being too outside the box with this haha

Cheers, John.

Cozp83

im picturing something similar to an osprey. with pivoting wings and rotors....
If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

johnmc

No, nothing as complicated as that. It would be a glider, so as to save battery. It would have to have decent fpv kit on if you wanted to do any decent distance from home. I was watching a video about a quad taking a glider up to release it, and thought, why not just combine them. Obviously the glider part would only have basic controls using ascend, descend and yaw.

Cheers, John.

Cozp83

If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

guest325

Take a look at this - only a matter of scale and very simple compared to what you';re thinking of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_-yTrwNtU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

teslahed

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/wingcopter-fixed-wing-airplane-quadcopter-fusion-vtol-uav

My feeling is the glider wont perform as well as a regular glider because of all that extra weight and drag, and the quad wont fly very well compared to a regular quadcopter for the same reasons.

I think a big slingshot is a better way to get yourself airborn with a glider from a flat field.

But it';s definitely doable.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

johnmc

I';ve seen that vid Darrell, and it looks well twitchy! Maybe too twitchy for me seeing as I';ve only flown helis.

Definitely doable, that';s an invitation if ever I';ve seen one!! I don';t want to use the batteries once I get up to height, so it';s defo a glider

Cheers, John.

guest325

Quote from: johnmc on Monday,July 29, 2013, 21:21:59
I';ve seen that vid Darrell, and it looks well twitchy! Maybe too twitchy for me seeing as I';ve only flown helis.

Definitely doable, that';s an invitation if ever I';ve seen one!! I don';t want to use the batteries once I get up to height, so it';s defo a glider

Cheers, John.
It works out the same with planes as it does with helis, bigger is more stable, that';s why I said it';s a matter of scale - my micro sukhoi is an absolute pig to fly compared to my crack yak profile foamy yet the crack yak is a full on 3D machine and the micro sukhoi is definitely not; if your prepared to experiment and have a go at making something yourself (perhaps out of Depron) you might just get something that works.
From the point of view of setup I';m pretty sure there is a FC specifically for this type of model.
Have a look here: http://transition-robotics.com/collections/quadshots

johnmc

I';ve had a chance to use the internet now I';m back at work, and I found this...

http://www.wingcopter.com/html/tech__daten.html

This is kind of what I';m thinking, but without rotating arms. I just want to cut the power and glide. That will make the build less complicated, I hope haha

teslahed

If you keep the props smaller and the motors high KV you will lose efficiency in the hover but you';ll save a LOT of drag when gliding. Assuming you only want to hover during take off and landing this might be ok.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

johnmc

That';s what I was thinking.
I have a bit of news, of the good kind. I emailed the makers of the wingcopter about his machine been able to glide, here is his reply.........

Hi John,

yes, the Wingcopter can glide like a normal plane. It glides better when the arms are horizontal, because if they are vertical the props still rotate like a windmill and drag even the power is cut off.

Regards
Jonathan

......so, although I';ve been beaten to the post with this type of design, it does prove it can be done, and, from what Jonathan is saying, or the way I';ve took it is, it would probably be better if I didn';t have rotating arms on my design because of drag?
He has designed his for powered forward flight, mine only needs a little forward flight till it';s up to gliding speed

Cheers, John.

guest325

Looks like you';ve got a design answer there, sort of like my idea but in the opposite plane (no pun intended).
With my idea you can minimise drag by using folding props and utilising the brake on the esc, also you wouldn';t need SimonK firmware and no special FC, you could use a 3 axis gyro like some of the 3D fliers are using
but not really needed. My thoughts were based on the simplest design to get what you want - keep it simple as possible, less to go wrong!
For my own interest I';m going to have a go at this idea based on a simple flying wing like my Slope soarer (SAS Wildthing); all that I will need to do is to figure out a sensible 4 motor configuration and what framework it will need around it, control will be by the model';s normal elevon control surfaces, should provide adequate control.