Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Saturday,April 20, 2024, 12:35:55

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 22
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

The young Prince ....

Started by XH558, Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 13:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

I am not in to the congratulatory scene in that loads of people have babies every day with no fuss and this one is just another ..... we had 2 and there were no photographers with step ladders or banks of TV film crews ...... so why is this one different 

However - this one has the perfect surname for a brilliant christian name ....

He should be christened ';Austin';   ~~

I rest my case  :azn
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

jwl940

As a recent victim of ';the resident grammar/latin pedant'; could I just make a small correction?

...why is this one different?

Well that didn';t take long, 15 all?   ~~

By the way, shouldn';t Latin be spelt with a capital ';L';? 

XH558

Quote from: jwl940 on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 13:57:15
As a recent victim of ';the resident grammar/latin pedant'; could I just make a small correction?

...why is this one different?

Well that didn';t take long, 15 all?   ~~

By the way, shouldn';t Latin be spelt with a capital ';L';?

I stand corrected - twice  :embarrassed -  my only defence has to be  "He who makes no mistakes never makes anything" ...... I';m not really one for typographical spelling mistakes ... they happen to all of us .....

I was just drawn to the Latin as I was forced to study it for 4 years as a sprog and my bugbear now is misuse and mispronunciation of Latin phrases ..... e.g. (exempli gratia) people will say eKcetera when it';s actually ';et cetera'; and should really be pronounced ';Et Kay-Terra'; .... I know ... I know .... I';m just sad  :embarrassed :embarrassed

[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

jwl940

I know where you are coming from, in my last job I was the Apostrophe Police but goodness knows how it all started.  I even have a bit of apostrophe abuse that I spotted, photographed and sent to the Apostrophe Abuse Society quoted in Lynne Truss';s book Eats, Shoots and Leaves.  If you';re sad I must be paralytic with grief :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed

The danger of being based at home just waiting for the next job to be phoned through is you get bored and start posting on forums (fori?).

As my sundial says, ';Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.';

teslahed

QuoteI was just drawn to the Latin as I was forced to study it for 4 years as a sprog and my bugbear now is misuse and mispronunciation of Latin phrases ..... e.g. (exempli gratia) people will say eKcetera when it';s actually ';et cetera'; and should really be pronounced ';Et Kay-Terra'; .... I know ... I know .... I';m just sad  :embarrassed :embarrassed

I remember being taught at grammar school that no one really has any clue how Latin should be pronounced anyway. Theories range from pretty much exactly as we / the Vatican use it now (Ecclesiastical Latin) all the way through to a bit like Celtric (who would have been invaded by the Romans who actually spoke Latin, so it';s probable that at least some of it wore off on the Locals).

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

XH558

Quote from: teslahed on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 15:27:37
I remember being taught at grammar school that no one really has any clue how Latin should be pronounced anyway. Theories range from pretty much exactly as we / the Vatican use it now (Ecclesiastical Latin) all the way through to a bit like Celtric (who would have been invaded by the Romans who actually spoke Latin, so it';s probable that at least some of it wore off on the Locals).

Fair enough ... but ekcetera still pi$$es me off as there';s no ';K'; only a ';T'; ....

Another that REALLY winds me up - NOT Latin - is Nuclear pronounced as ';NewKiller'; .... everyone can say NEW and CLEAR ... so what is the problem with NEWCLEAR ????  :hmm:

XH558

Quote from: jwl940 on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 14:44:21
I know where you are coming from, in my last job I was the Apostrophe Police but goodness knows how it all started.  I even have a bit of apostrophe abuse that I spotted, photographed and sent to the Apostrophe Abuse Society quoted in Lynne Truss';s book Eats, Shoots and Leaves.  If you';re sad I must be paralytic with grief :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed

The danger of being based at home just waiting for the next job to be phoned through is you get bored and start posting on forums (fori?).

As my sundial says, ';Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.';

Everyone should read ';Eats, Shoots & Leaves'; ... brilliant book  ~~ ~~

I bet you love .. "CD';s for sale"  .... ::)

';Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.';  I heartily concur  :laugh: :laugh:

teslahed

Quote from: XH558 on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 15:38:22 Another that REALLY winds me up - NOT Latin - is Nuclear pronounced as ';NewKiller'; .... everyone can say NEW and CLEAR ... so what is the problem with NEWCLEAR ????  :hmm:

I could care less.

http://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw

:laugh:
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

jwl940

Teslahed  :laugh:

XH558 my local Halfords has just stopped doing M.O.T';s.  Would you trust them with your car?

FlyinMarty

Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli