Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 11:25:41

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 23
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Lost my gopro last night :(

Started by dp106, Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 08:09:28

Previous topic - Next topic

dp106

Was flying over my favourite field last night and went even higher than I';ve ever dared before. Went into a steep dive and saw something flap in front of the camera. Thought the quad was going to crash but all seemed to be working still, then I realised it was the zip ties that should have been holding my gopro on :-(

The grass in the field is 4 ft high, I looked for the camera but there was never really any chance I would find it. Would have loved to see the video though. I';ll be searching youtube from now on for the video "I have your gopro from Wroughton"

Think I';ll have to stick to an 808 #16 camera from now on, a lot less expensive to replace :-

gibbo

That sucks! I had a fly away situation two weeks back due to my GoPro2 locking out and stopped outputting video. I really should have had a primary fpv board camera. I lost the whole quad (attached). Sorry about your GoPro though! I lost the whole thing!!!

dp106

Quote from: gibbo on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 08:40:39
That sucks! I had a fly away situation two weeks back due to my GoPro2 locking out and stopped outputting video. I really should have had a primary fpv board camera. I lost the whole quad (attached). Sorry about your GoPro though! I lost the whole thing!!!
Jeez I bet that was depressing. You had no luck finding it? I crashed in the same field a few weeks ago but managed to find the quad by arming /disarming the motors. No such technique for finding a gopro

gibbo

No joy so far! The farmer is keeping his eyes peeled as It is likely it is in some high corn. May turn up at harvest time when the LiPo goes boom in his combine. If you know any good dowsers let me know!  ;)

I try not to think about it if I can help it  :sweating:

Balders

Gutted for you...I know many of us have lost stuff/had fly-aways...I very nearly gave up when I lost my first fpv tricopter, and on my small quad, I hold my gopro2 on with two rubber bands...I may revisit that now :(
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

dp106

Quote from: Balders on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 09:27:52
Gutted for you...I know many of us have lost stuff/had fly-aways...I very nearly gave up when I lost my first fpv tricopter, and on my small quad, I hold my gopro2 on with two rubber bands...I may revisit that now :(
I';ve see a lot of people use them, I do wonder whether they are  strong enough to hold something so valuable. I have an 808 #16 camera which I started using for a bit but could be never get rid of the jello to my satisfaction.

JT

Man that must be really gutting :cry

I attach my gopro with elastic bands, mind you I use 4 for peace of mind even though it only needs 2, but reading this makes me think maybe a better way is needed....

dp106

CurryKitten

My paranoia about loosing my GoPro means I keep it in the case.  I also have one of the supplied GoPro ...erm "safety lines" I';m going to call them.  All it is essentially a piece of cord that loops through the case and then can attach the other end to something.  So if the camera falls off it';s mount, the casing is attached to a quad arm.

Doesn';t help you guys flying you GoPro';s naked though

FragglePete

Gutted!   :o

I crashed mine into a small cornfield last night (flipped over backwards) and even though I was careful spotting where it landed I still struggled finding it; thankfully did otherwise that';ll be my whole quad with GoPro gone as well!

Think I';m going to find another way of securing it myself now as well!

Pete

Hands0n

Quote from: CurryKitten on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 12:46:55
My paranoia about loosing my GoPro means I keep it in the case.  I also have one of the supplied GoPro ...erm "safety lines" I';m going to call them.  All it is essentially a piece of cord that loops through the case and then can attach the other end to something.  So if the camera falls off it';s mount, the casing is attached to a quad arm.

Doesn';t help you guys flying you GoPro';s naked though

Man thats difficult reading in all cases above!  :o  Feeling for y';all

I use a "tether" in addition to my GoPro mount when on the motorcycle (not sent it aloft yet) and on my diving. The last thing I want is close on £350 worth of gear nipping off.

For the GoPro when you';re not using the waterproof case there is still the possibility of adding a tether as the naked GoPro has what looks like belt loops.  Certainly something that one could attach some suitable line or cord to act as a secondary tether.  A bit of fishing line would do the trick, I';d have thought.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Hands0n

--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

dp106

Oops link wasn';t showing up in Tapatalk so I thought I was editing the post but appear to have replied to myself :-) Won';t be the first time I';ve been caught talking to myself lol

Gav

oh no matey that really sucks.   Was it a GoPro Hd hero or 2 either way I feel for you.  Velcro and Velcro straps next time  :blink

bunnygirl80

Sad sad times! Really feel for you all!

I used to use the lost model locator buzzer thing, but they are only really any good if you';re looking in close proximity to yourself. If you';re doing FPV like so many of us are, a good GPS locator is a better option. I';ve recently purchased, one and this now gives me the motivation to get it working.

I';ve also just designed a little emergency clip which fits over the lens of the go pro 3 to which you can attach some velcro or cord.

Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

dp106

Quote from: Gav on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 13:38:15
oh no matey that really sucks.   Was it a GoPro Hd hero or 2 either way I feel for you.  Velcro and Velcro straps next time  :blink
an original gopro hero, but still not a cheap thing to lose

Biffa

Must be unbearable, I hate losing things more than having stuff nicked.

I';m feeling your pain.

Steve

Hands0n

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 14:27:10
Sad sad times! Really feel for you all!

I used to use the lost model locator buzzer thing, but they are only really any good if you';re looking in close proximity to yourself. If you';re doing FPV like so many of us are, a good GPS locator is a better option. I';ve recently purchased, one and this now gives me the motivation to get it working.

I';ve also just designed a little emergency clip which fits over the lens of the go pro 3 to which you can attach some velcro or cord.

Linky?  Sounds rather interesting - i was thinking of a cheapo Android smartphone with an even cheaper SIM with data that';d probably do the trick coupled with a location app like Cerberus or Lookout (there are several these days).  But its all additional weight too, so needs to be the tiniest possible.
--
Danny

bunnygirl80

Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

kilby

A lot of the Samsung phones now have a free find my phone service built in

Though stepping one of the Bluechip phones (aka a Pub Phone) on would let you phone the damn rhing , they';re really light (under 30g) and have a loud ring (the last one I bought from tesco cost 6.50)
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Rocket_Col

CarbonCore Y6

bunnygirl80

Quote from: Rocket_Col on Tuesday,July 23, 2013, 21:54:42
I have one of these on my case with a kevlar tether just in case it falls off
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOPRO-CAMERA-BLUE-LENS-RING-HERO-2-3-BIKE-ALUMINIUM-/251307162708?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item3a8312fc54

Col, I was looking at those aluminium rings. Will they fit over the lens of a naked GoPro3?

Thxx

Rocket_Col

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Wednesday,July 24, 2013, 07:21:54
Col, I was looking at those aluminium rings. Will they fit over the lens of a naked GoPro3?

Thxx
They may do but what would you screw them too?? i just replaced the plastic one on the case. I fly with the case on.
CarbonCore Y6

Hands0n

Don';t all GoPro Hero have belt loops at the rear of the camera? That would make a good tether point. The Hero3 Black does. I';ve no experience of the other models.
--
Danny

rickp

Quote from: Hands0n on Wednesday,July 24, 2013, 10:03:01
Don';t all GoPro Hero have belt loops at the rear of the camera? That would make a good tether point. The Hero3 Black does. I';ve no experience of the other models.

Really? I don';t see one on my Hero3 black...

Hands0n

Quote from: rickp on Wednesday,July 24, 2013, 10:28:31
Really? I don';t see one on my Hero3 black...

Okay, now I feel completely stupid  :wack0  It turns out that it is merely an slot in the outer casing. For some reason in my mind';s eye I had turned that into a belt loop!

What was I thinking?  :frantic:
--
Danny

dp106

Hmm hero3 white in argos for £200, not sure what the difference is between that and the black, apart from a lot more expensive obviously!

Biffa

Quote from: dp106 on Wednesday,July 24, 2013, 11:26:00
Hmm hero3 white in argos for £200, not sure what the difference is between that and the black, apart from a lot more expensive obviously!

Quick breakdown on the Official site:

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

Steve

nub

aww nut total bummer :(

i looked at the white edition and thought it was a good deal but from what i read your better off with a hero 2.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.