Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 23:59:20

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

TeslaHEX Build!

Started by Cozp83, Tuesday,July 16, 2013, 12:37:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Cozp83

Ive been lucky enough to get hold of a TeslaHEX( cheers chris ~~ )

Really easy to put together, and very well designed.
just waiting on motors and esc';s then its maiden time!

[attach=1]

[attach=2]
If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

teslahed

That looks really good, you got that together quick!

How are you finding the stiffness of the frame and centre plates after it';s gone together? I';ve enlarged some of the lightening holes in your version from what i';ve been flying with because i think my hex could do with loosing a little bit of weight and mine seems pretty strong, so i hope that';s not affected things too badly in terms of stiffness.

I hope you had enough nuts and bolts. I sent you a few spare of everything, then started counting out the number of nuts + spares you';d need before thinking ';sod it, just send him the whole pack of 100';. If you needed 101 i';d feel silly.

Don';t overtighten the plastic fixings - but if you have spares try overtightening one until the thread breaks so that you know how much force is too much.

The camera mounts i included for free just bolt on underneath at the front, but the design is a bit iffy. You can see how i superglued some scrap plywood onto the larger one to strengthen it a bit - you might want to put a splint on the smaller one in a similar way. I made the cut outs for cable ties too long and took too much wood away, I';ll fix that on the next version.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

Cozp83

hey chris. yeah the frames nice and stiff, ive spotted a couple of place that could maybe do with stiffening up, but i wanna fly it first. about to order motors and esc';s, so once ive flown it ill be able to give you a better idea of anything that needs changing.

Cozp83

motors are on the way. just need to find the esc';s in the UK! any ideas people? its 12 amp blue series HK ones im after.

Calomile

Giantshark.co.uk have a similar and well regarded HobbyWing 12a ESC for sale.

You can also buy a suitable Program Card to configure the ESCs, which is nice!
I reverse polarities for fun.

Cozp83

cheers for that calomile, any ideas if these can be flashed with simonk firmware?

Cozp83

KK 2.0 and orange rx mounted!
[attach=1]

Calomile

Quote from: Cozp83 on Thursday,July 18, 2013, 18:50:39
cheers for that calomile, any ideas if these can be flashed with simonk firmware?

No I don';t think you can flash SimonK because they are SIL chip based, however you should be able to flash BLHeli to them should you want to, that performs similarly (with even more configuration options) to SimonK.

Cozp83

According to that table they';re amega. I';ll order them now and we';ll see;)

Calomile

QuoteTurnigy Plush / Hobbywing Flyfun / HiModel professional SiLabs

Are you sure?  :laugh:

Either way they should be good to go even out of the box, have heard plenty of good things about them.

teslahed

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28159__TURNIGY_Plush_12amp_2A_BEC_BESC_UK_Warehouse_.html

These are the best ESCs currently available in stock in the UK for the Teslaquad and Hex design.

They would need to be flashed with the BLHeli firmware before they would be usable though, which is a bit of a fiddle. I will flash ESCs for the price of the postage for anyone who buys one of my multirotors as long as you realise there is a small risk that it will go wrong and your ESC might break. It may be worth buying one more ESC than you need so you have a spare.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28404__HobbyKing_12A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controller_UK_Warehouse_.html

These ESCs are almost as good and cheaper and they are easier to flash (SimonK rather than BLHeli), but not in stock at the moment in the UK.

Calomile

The Turnigy Plush are the same as the HobbyWing FlyFun that GiantShark sells.

Cozp83

coolio guys. im gonna order the plush ones from HK. if i send them to you chris would you flash em? shall i buy 7 just in case ;)

teslahed

Send them to me and i will get them flashed for you. I would recommend buying 7 if you need 6 - you';ll probably end up with one spare but it might come in useful if you have a bit of a crash.

I would definitely buy 7 motors if you need 6 as well.

Cozp83

hey chris tried PM';ing you for your address to send the plush';s to ya;)

Cozp83

Had the teslahex flying with the kk 2.0 board. i really dont like how that board flies, its  a bit loose?!?! so i just ordered a naza m which should be here tomorrow. video to follow.....

teslahed

Have you done much PID tuning on the KK2?

I haven';t all that much experience with them myself but you should be able to put the ';gains'; or ';P'; setting on roll and pitch up a lot from the defaults, thanks to the BLHeli firmware on the ESCs, and doing that will make the hex feel less ';loose'; and more ';locked in';.

The defaults are quite conservative but with a good stiff frame and decent ESCs you should be able to put your gyro settings / strength up a lot which is what gives that ';locked in'; feel that typifies a well tuned multirotor. If you set them too high you will get feedback oscillations. It';s worth overshooting slightly then backing back down just so you know what to recognise and can be sure you';ve got the settings as high as they will go.

Cozp83

ive string tuned it man, i just dont like the way it feels. ive got a futaba and a dx6i, i cant fly with the dx6i!

teslahed

I will be interested to hear how the Naza copes with such a small frame. It could be good - hope so :smiley:

If all else fails just get a multiwii board for it. Either a cheap one for £15 that will just do stunt flying and auto-level or the crius all in one pro if you want the option of adding a GPS and OSD later.

I can give you my best settings if you do that.

But hopefully the Naza will do the trick for you.

Cozp83

I just love the Naza man. it flies great, is easy to set up and tune and contrary to popular belief is more then capable of stunt flying in manual mode :)

Cozp83

right. Naza lite is all setup, this thing flies GREAT!! only had a quick flight this morning before work, so ill upload a video and fpv flight sometime in the next couple of days. the TESLAHEX and the naza lite make the perfect setup for a noob! unbalanced props, motors and messy wiring and this thing still flies AMAZING!!

teslahed

I am VERY glad to hear it';s worked out well for you in the end. There was always a little risk involved in selling you the Beta kit but it looks like it';s paid off :smiley:

I';m definitely looking forward to the video. I have never seen the Naza fly anything i';ve built before so it should be good :popcorn:

Cozp83

im really impressed with it dude, only issue i have is no matter how tight i mount the arms they slide out bit by bit. think im gonna glue the arms to the main plates.
Ive yet to tune it properly and adjust any of the settings in the naza assistant, but to be honest with ya it flies great the way it is  ~~

heres a short video of me testing it out in my back garden. ill get it over a field or park at some point today and film a longer video.

TeslaHEX test flight

guest325

Quote from: Cozp83 on Friday,August 09, 2013, 14:08:09
im really impressed with it dude, only issue i have is no matter how tight i mount the arms they slide out bit by bit. think im gonna glue the arms to the main plates.
Ive yet to tune it properly and adjust any of the settings in the naza assistant, but to be honest with ya it flies great the way it is  ~~

heres a short video of me testing it out in my back garden. ill get it over a field or park at some point today and film a longer video.

TeslaHEX test flight
"This video is unavailable"

Cozp83

teslahed

Quoteim really impressed with it dude, only issue i have is no matter how tight i mount the arms they slide out bit by bit.

I will have to address this in the next version, thanks for the heads up :smiley:

I would suggest instead of hard glueing the arms in place, find something like some really sticky duct tape, stick it to the carbon fibre arms top and bottom then peel it off. You should be left with that (usually) really annoying sticky residue. This will probably be enough to stop the arms slipping and will still allow you to easily disassemble the hex in the future if you need to fix or replace something.

Just watched your video - it looks really controllable, especially with all that wind in such a small space.

There are a couple of improvements you could make. If you dremmel down your prop adapter bolts so they are only as long as they need to be you will get a lot less vibration from them which will improve handling and maybe stop the arms sliding out as much.

http://flyduino.net/5030-2-bladed-Propeller-Set-Orange-8-pcs-4-CW-and-4-CCW

Flyduino sell the best 5 inch props i';ve tried. I am not sure if yours are better or worse than flyduinos.

Given that it';s early days i expect the performance will only improve with a little bit of tuning etc.  :smiley:

guest325

Looks pretty good to me, looks like being a lot of fun to fly. Looking forward to seeing more of it  ~~

Biffa

Quote from: Cozp83 on Tuesday,August 06, 2013, 18:13:42
ive string tuned it man, i just dont like the way it feels.

Just out of curiosity, did you play around with the stick scaling? Makes a huge difference to how the KK board feels.

Nicely done with the hex though, looks like it';s flying nice ~~
Steve

Cozp83

Thanks guys! This thing is crazy fun to fly. Gonna re build it tonight with all the esc';s and wiring in between the plates. Yeah, I really need to cut the prop adapters down, and do something with the battery.

If any ones thinking of building something they can chuck In a backpack and take anywhere I';d highly recommend one of these coupled with a naza. It';s damn fast yet super controllable.

Tried everything with the kk2.0 biffa. I just can';t get on with it. It doesn';t feel right to me. At first I thought I';d got a dud, and after getting another and it being the same I';ve given up. With the naza lite only being £90 in the uk there no excuse really. It took me 20 minutes from unboxing to flying, it';s perfect for noobs and the more experienced.

teslahed

QuoteGonna re build it tonight with all the esc';s and wiring in between the plates.

I haven';t even done this myself yet so i will be very interested to see what yours ends up looking like :smiley:

QuoteTried everything with the kk2.0 biffa. I just can';t get on with it. It doesn';t feel right to me. At first I thought I';d got a dud, and after getting another and it being the same I';ve given up. With the naza lite only being £90 in the uk there no excuse really. It took me 20 minutes from unboxing to flying, it';s perfect for noobs and the more experienced.

I';m actually glad you went Naza in the end, just because it';s something i';d never had done myself. Now i can recommend other people use the Naza or Naza lite with this frame if they want to, so thanks for that!