Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 23:21:34

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
atomiclama:
29 Jul 2019 20:14:10
DB that just means you have shed loads of props in the first place ;-)
DarkButterfly:
29 Jul 2019 18:53:33
Just had a thought, even with all the crashing I've done, I haven't bought any replacement props in over a year ~~
ched:
09 Jul 2019 19:45:42
May the sun shine and winds be light for BFU#8. Son't forget lots of vids for those of us unable to attend.  :D
Gaza07:
09 Jul 2019 18:10:30
Hope you all have a great day  :beer2:
Andy7:
09 Jul 2019 14:05:28
BFU#8 details locked in for this saturday - see the head of the forum thread for all details.
hoverfly:
05 Jul 2019 21:51:05
Good for genital warts as well......or so I'm told.. :hmm
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196558
  • Total Topics: 19801
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 43
Total: 45

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

My mini build (teslaquad)

Started by Leigh, Saturday,July 13, 2013, 19:39:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

Well, I';m making some progress! 

Decided the 30A ESCs were too big (both physically and in terms of AMPs) and ordered some smaller HK Blue series 12A units. Will probably solder them directly onto the motors as they have solder tabs for the wires. Meanwhile I got the power distribution board connected to the battery lead running through the centre of the quad frame to the lower side. KK2.0 will sit on top once I get more standoffs, and will be wired directly to the power distro board for voltage alarm purposes.

Still undecided on RX positioning...

Mini Quad by allandrick, on Flickr
Aussie on the loose in Belfast.

kilby

Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Gaza07

Is the kk2 just sitting on the top and not fixed coz it dont look straight  :shrug:  :beer2:

Leigh

Quote from: Gaza07 on Sunday,July 14, 2013, 13:03:45
Is the kk2 just sitting on the top and not fixed coz it dont look straight  :shrug:  :beer2:

hehe yep, just sitting there loose until the ESCs and LEDs arrive in the post - the power distro board is underneath the kk2 and I need it loose until I can solder the ESCs :-)

Smeagol

Looking forward to seeing you handle this one at the field  ~~

Good to meet at the weekend, and with Kilby and the local club flying down here. I';ll have to see if I can get up to your club one of the forthcoming weekends.

Leigh

Well my ESCs arrived yesterday (HK blue series 12A) and, after soldering them carefully to my distro board last night, I put them to the test today with the motors and props which had arrived (5030 GF).

Well, I heard 3 sets of beeps and figured I must have missed the fourth - as I turned up the throttle just a smidge to get the props to turn slowly so I could check direction, one of the ESCs went snap, crackle and POP - the sticker and heatshrink caught fire in 3 places and a huge puff of smoke filled my garage!  I quickly disconnected the 3S LiPo (1000mAh) and made sure it was OK - then one by one tested each of the motors on a F30A to see if they were OK - luckilly no damage to the motors...

3 of the FETs let go with the smallest of throttle input.  WTF!

I will post it back to RMA in the morning.  Hopefully I don';t have to wait a month to et it replaced...

Meanwhile earlier in the evening I managed to break one of my new 5030 props from FlyDuino by trying to drill out an extra mm of clearance by holding it in my hand... :headbang

I had no further issue with the other 7 props because I wad smart and used a hobby vice!  Dooohhhh....

nub

gah very unlucky :(

fingers crossed u ain';t waiting a month for a replacement, maybe someone on here might have a spare and can help ya out until the replacement arrives.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Leigh

Oh dear.  Plugged in another ESC and motor tonight after painstakingly soldering on 2mm bullet connectors (I prefer the motors to be able to fly off in a crash rather than tear out windings). 

Result:

So - lesson learned.  Always consult the guide here before flashing your ESCs...

This is how it should work:

Smeagol

Good to see it sorted in the end, and a demo of what can go wrong is a wake up call for those that think "it couldn';t happen to me"

Really want to see you handle this speed machine

nub

wow the wrong firmware done that, what version did u flash it with?
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Leigh

Quote from: nub on Friday,July 19, 2013, 23:19:19
wow the wrong firmware done that, what version did u flash it with?

TGY instead of BS_NFET

Leigh

new ESCs and replacement motor (plus a spare) and some more props to get the most out of the shipping weight ordered from hk.intl ... another week to ten days and it should be here :)

Hands0n

Saturday,July 20, 2013, 00:51:18 #12 Last Edit: Saturday,July 20, 2013, 01:31:26 by Hands0n
Ah crap! How unlucky can you get?

Now you';ve made me think hard about what version I flashed my RedBrick 30A ESC. There was some confusion, I *think* I have the correct version that being tp_8khz.hex (I read* that tp.hex causes the Red Brick 30A ESC to dangerously overheat). 

Looking forward to seeing your early flights with the Teslaquad.

* - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867365
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

teslahed

Yeah if you flash the wrong version of the firmware then you';ll get those results.

If you haven';t powered the other ESCs up yet you can reflash them with the corrent firmware, they will still work. It';s only after you apply the power that they break.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

kilby

Tell them to hurry up with getting the replacement to you, because I want to see that thing flying
Taranis+

Leigh

Quote from: teslahed on Saturday,July 20, 2013, 20:32:12
Yeah if you flash the wrong version of the firmware then you';ll get those results.

If you haven';t powered the other ESCs up yet you can reflash them with the corrent firmware, they will still work. It';s only after you apply the power that they break.

Interestingly they were all powered on during both fires, but only 1 at a time had the servo tester driving the throttle.  Kinda glad I couldn';t find my RX, otherwise I would have had them go all together at once!

Leigh

Back on track after a record fast delivery from Intl. warehouse of you know who - 4 days?!!?

Hands0n

Very cool - how long before your first flight with it *screem*  ~~
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

kilby

When';s the public unveiling Leigh?
Taranis+

Leigh

Quote from: Hands0n on Friday,July 26, 2013, 07:03:34
Very cool - how long before your first flight with it *screem*  ~~

Quote from: kilby on Friday,July 26, 2013, 11:03:54
When';s the public unveiling Leigh?

Heh - hopefully this weekend some time for a maiden - I got new props which will need a bit of drilling out to widen the mounting holes, also need to get the LEDs mounted and wired up.  Getting there!

Cozp83

looking good leigh. cant wait for the maiden! just waiting on my esc';s and the teslaHEX will be alive!
If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

Leigh

Cool!  remember to flash the right firmware ;-)

Cozp83

After your little fire display I';ve sent them off to teslahead;)
If YOU can fly it, I CAN crash it.

Leigh

Hands0n

Nice one - congratulation on the maiden flight.  ~~ ~~
--
Danny

teslahed

Yeah well done - looks good for a maiden test flight!
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.