Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 16:05:25

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 18
Total: 19

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

nooby's first rctimer experience

Started by HowDoIfly, Tuesday,July 09, 2013, 13:41:34

Previous topic - Next topic

HowDoIfly

After my Ifly flyaway and consulting these forums, I opted for a hex kit from rctimer http://www.rctimer.com/product_650.html along with http://www.rctimer.com/product_837.html

It arrived yesterday and only then did I realise, while the motors come pre-fitted with bullet connectors, the ESC';s had just bare wire. As I';m such a novice I think it';s prudent I can disconnect the two components as/when needed. So I now need to add 18 x 3.5mm connectors to my wish-list. Not such a big deal as I also need XT60';s (and other parts as I go).

But when it came to fitting the motors to the arms, I find I';m one M3 x 7.5mm short as well.

So I fire off an email to rctimer, trying to convey how disappointed it is that this info wasn';t in the desciption and that their stockists might have a counting problem, their best response was "sorry, the ESC';s don';t have the connectors".  :shrug:

Just thought I';d share this with you  :laugh:
Ifly4 no more, Hubsan X4, R550v2, X650F-V4

Ross

RC TIMER probably had "D" shift on when you mailed them :rofl:
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

Calomile

I';ve been in discussions with them now for over a week trying to get them to send a replacement ESC out. They told me to put it as a note on my next order to include an ESC and mention the sale';s rep';s name, so like a good boy I ordered some more bits and put it in the remark section of the payment process. Bad idea apparently, they don';t actually see or read anything on the remark, and only look at the paypal note (which I did not adjust) for any particulars about the order.

I';m not ordering anything else from them, they';ve had enough money from me, so I';m now negotiating to have them send the ESC out separately... What fun!
I reverse polarities for fun.

HowDoIfly

This gets more unsettling. I asked confirmation of correct female bullet connectors I needed and if they would send the missing screw with my order.
Their response was - yes, that';s the right connectors you need. The missing screw issue has been ignored two out of two times now.

Ok, it';s no deal-breaker but, sorry rctimer I';m not inclined to order with you again. It';s a comms/trust thing.

HowDoIfly

On the other hand, I';ve got the Arduflyer talking to Mission Planner, firmware upgraded, accelerometers calibrated and the telemetry is working with GPS looking good.... (which is a blessing as I';d hate to have to deal with rctimers returns dept).

kym

RCTimer is one of the better companies; bullets + wires is pretty standard stuff even if you buy a so-called "ARF kit" from a certain region.
I bought a machine from goodlucksell (or was it goodluckbuy? -- they operate under so many
names) that was claimed to be "not one of those low quality machines you can buy cheap on ebay". It even came with a warranty.
I paid my money and it broke down after 1 week of use. I naively tried to contact the company regarding the warranty. They wanted me to send vid of the machine not working. Unfortunately, the sympoms of the "not working" were not visible and I told them that. But they insisted on the vid. I was told to upload it to a specific site that promptly infected my laptop with a virus.
Later that told me the machine seemed to be working OK as far as they could see, because the power LED was on. Warranty claim denied.
Still, pretty tame compared to some of the later transactions.
Today, just as a f';instance, they';ve sent me an email telling me my latest package is on the way. I haven';t bought anything from them for 6 m and nothing is outstanding.
So I now have to look in 2 directions -- for the postie or delivery van; and any unusual items on my credit card.
And, yes, there have been such items in the past with company employees apparently paying for cable and student fees using any card that passes across their desk in the course of daily work.

philtrum

Hi

I';ve got a spare screw from a quad version of the frame i managed to "bend" ;), pm me your address and I';ll post you a couple

was it for the centre / arm connection, or the motor connection ?

Cheers
Phil
Many Thanks
Phil
[url="//www.makeitbuildit.co.uk"]www.makeitbuildit.co.uk[/url]

shaktar

The hex screws with them kits are rubbish anyway. I would just buy better ones off ebay.

You can get a load of nice quality ones really cheap.
[url="http://www.facebook.com/TMadeImages"]http://www.facebook.com/TMadeImages[/url].

Nautilus

HowDoIfly   you are not alone with bad contact with RCTimer

I have a case now Where thy want me to send back my AMP2.5 to China it will cost me 63$ and a new board cost 89$

Problem on the board is the main CPU that have a damage output signal on Motor 6

I give them an offer that thy cut just send me then CPU chip and i have possible to get it change, then case will be ok result for me.

Both after i give that offer thy don';t want to replay on my mail at all in 2 week  :angry:

After this I look around another place to buy my RC item

HowDoIfly

@philtrum - you have PM  ~~

AND I just found another descrepancy which wasn';t obvious at the time.

If you look at the kit';s description, http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=650&productname= it says 8045 props included.
They sent me 10x4.5

HOWEVER, if you check the motor specs http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=119&productname= that specifies Prop: 12x6/10x7

I admit, I don';t understand the second number (something to do with pitch angle?) but the first relates to length in inches, right?

barneyg

don';t worry about the prop size figures on the motors ... that is an indicator of what size props the motor is capable of swinging without being overloaded not what should go on it :)

Hands0n

They may very well be the next great world economy but my other experiences with Chinese sellers has put me off completely. I only use them as a very last resort. It costs substantially more to deal with UK based sellers but it';s preferable to the inevitable total loss situation with off shore sellers where you have zero legal back up should you need it.

But still you have to keep your wits about you. EBay and Amazon are now "infested" with them, even posing as UK sellers making it impossible to filter out.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

barneyg

Quote from: Hands0n on Friday,July 12, 2013, 07:56:07
They may very well be the next great world economy but my other experiences with Chinese sellers has put me off completely. I only use them as a very last resort. It costs substantially more to deal with UK based sellers but it';s preferable to the inevitable total loss situation with off shore sellers where you have zero legal back up should you need it.

But still you have to keep your wits about you. EBay and Amazon are now "infested" with them, even posing as UK sellers making it impossible to filter out.

I dont blame you ... on the other hand I think the UK sellers need a kick in the pants ... I shouldn';t have to pay a 100% markup to get something from a UK seller compared to a Chinese one.  Or how exactly is it I can get something shipped internationally from Hong Kong in about 2 weeks and pay a quarter of the price in shipping than a UK company charges (admittedly it usually arrives somewhat faster but really costing 4 times as much ?)

Hands0n

Quote from: barneyg on Friday,July 12, 2013, 08:09:26
I dont blame you ... on the other hand I think the UK sellers need a kick in the pants ... I shouldn';t have to pay a 100% markup to get something from a UK seller compared to a Chinese one.  Or how exactly is it I can get something shipped internationally from Hong Kong in about 2 weeks and pay a quarter of the price in shipping than a UK company charges (admittedly it usually arrives somewhat faster but really costing 4 times as much ?)

You';re bang on there mate.  That is the very real dilemma.  I know they';re taking on some risk themselves but the UK scene is not exactly favourable to growing the hobby.  I';m torn between paying the least for the same goods and paying more for UK buyer protections.  EBay and PayPal didn';t want to know when I ran into my issue with a Chinese seller. The "buyer protections" only apply if the seller is in the UK (and I think Germany).
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Ross

QuoteEBay and PayPal didn';t want to know when I ran into my issue with a Chinese seller. The "buyer protections" only apply if the seller is in the UK (and I think Germany).

Think Paypal pay if you are right and they agree, wherever you are in the world
...Paypal paid me twice for a Chinese order cockup (Hobbyking).
That is why I always pay by Paypal.
I am certainly not giving my CC or Debit Card  number to that lot!!

Re UK sellers.  They buy Chinese as well...so if it is made in China and bought  from Chinese dealers it cannot be any better if bought  from UK dealers except possibly service( and there are probably  a few around who do not give that without hassle)!!  and those that are good  prosper by word of mouth and forums).

If it is Chinese and cr*p made then its cr*p..bought from anywhere in the world
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

HowDoIfly

Their email response to my query about the props...?

"Sorry, that kit with 2 pairs 10" propellers".

I guess I';m lucky the main components seem to be ok (still to fully test them though!). I pity those that got more serious problems from this seller.

And yes, how can it be so cheap for them to ship individual goods halfway round the world, including overland in the UK for a mere fraction of the cost I have to pay just for overland UK?

Ross

I recently bought items (three times) ex China mainland..not Honkers,  from one dealer.

Shipped from Singapore via Swissair and then from Zurich to UK!! FREE.

I reckon they have distribution points in each place.  Still..if the goods are ok when they arrive..and work..and the mailing is free (airmail AND tracked/ registered)..that';s ok by me.

Strange but true.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

Hands0n

Happy Path it is an experience that is hard to beat.   ~~

Sad Path and it is a costly exercise.  :banghead:

Thinking holistically, perhaps it all netts out against a UK purchase.  Eventually a Sad Path will occur that wipes out all the savings made so far  ::)
--
Danny

HowDoIfly

Oh dear, sorry this thread is turning into an epic complaint about my order...

I only just ran up the motors for the first time tonight and two out of the six sound, well, different. Having practically zero experience, I';m not sure if it';s anything to worry about except the "noise" seems to resonate through the arms and that can';t be good for the accelerometers, can it?

Sure could with some advice on how bad they are, if they can be "fixed" or live with them, replace them? ...perhaps I should video them first?  :shrug:

powerlord

I buy on weekly basis - mostly from eBay.  Frankly I';ve hardly ever had a problem.  Sometimes delivery takes a while,  but on the whole I';d say they are as reliable as any other ebay seller.  I';ve had stuff not arrive or arrive damaged,  and replacements have been sent out no probs.  Personally I love the new global market -  having to go to my crappy local model shop or buy from some uk site that just had the same supplier as I could use directly - where';s the added value there? 

THE UK sellers left have to add some real added value: they offer a build service,  etc. 

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

HowDoIfly

Yup, I can be an unlucky so n so, or so it seems.

Anyway, if someone could listen to my motors and give an experienced opinion, I';d be grateful.

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

HowDoIfly

No-one got an experienced opinion they';re willing to share? rctimers best offer was "next time you shop, we will resend 2 sets bearings"  :hmm:

Oh well, I popped the circlips off, removed the magnet housig bells and I see what is either leaked grease and/or possibly corrosion and there';s visible excess play in at least one bottom bearing - not good for brand new items.

Someone in another thread recommended http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home so a couple of emails later, we identified my bearings which are now in the post.

HowDoIfly

New bearings fitted, left one motor a little "tight" and another very sloppy so called rcbearings for advice - he simply sent me another set FOC to "see if it';s bad bearings or the motors themselves" - very generous of him!

I';ve also found an APM case in stock so ordered it and a battery alarm from BYOD. While waiting for those I did some more testing, this time the radio telemetry and I should have guessed....  that has got it';s own problems too  :banghead:

Initially I tested the ground and air radios side by side and all worked fine but as range increased to 10-20 feet the signal would fade badly to the point comms was stalled or drop out completely, ending in a disconnect. Trawling the forum(s) I learnt to graph the noise levels and sure enough, the ground station was being swamped.

More reading seems to point the finger at the USB bus which apparently operates around the same frequency so I tried a couple of different cables and extensions as well as a hub but they made little to no difference. Further reading showed that one vendor (think it was DIYdrones but not sure) stopped selling the units due to the high return rates. I';m not sure what to do next.

HowDoIfly

Fair';s fair.

Despite vowing to never buy from rctimer again, there were some parts I wanted that rctimer seem to currently have a monopoly on. http://www.rctimer.com/product_1017.html so I swallowed my pride and ordered it on 3rd.

This time I opted for the alternative post at $2 extra and I was very surprised and pleased to find it was delivered (complete this time) today by DHL. Stunning.

flybywire

A happy ending perhaps? 
I think cheap motors are ok, I';ve bought plenty of HK/Turnigy';s finest (or not).  I only replaced ones that got hot to the touch.  Just in case, as they were only about £8 ea.  THey can ';feel'; slightly different in terms of free play & stuff, as oposed to say Torqpower or Axi etc.

Just remembered, I had as et of 4 RCTimer motors 2215 or some such, they sounded awful, but seemed to work ok.  Ebay';d them in the end, sure they';re still propelling something or other around the sky!
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Nautilus

Quote from: flybywire on Friday,November 08, 2013, 15:41:48
A happy ending perhaps? 
I think cheap motors are ok, I';ve bought plenty of HK/Turnigy';s finest (or not).  I only replaced ones that got hot to the touch.  Just in case, as they were only about £8 ea.  THey can ';feel'; slightly different in terms of free play & stuff, as oposed to say Torqpower or Axi etc.

Just remembered, I had as et of 4 RCTimer motors 2215 or some such, they sounded awful, but seemed to work ok.  Ebay';d them in the end, sure they';re still propelling something or other around the sky!

I still have a case with RCTimer to replace my Ardutimer 2.5 card
it now over 3 month i send it in normally Airmail (Rctimer say it was ok)

Thy say thy never get my letter, and now thy stop replay my mail

IT how RCTimer take care off there customer    :angry:

This has cost me 100$   :(

flybywire

Quote from: HowDoIfly on Friday,July 12, 2013, 01:28:13

I admit, I don';t understand the second number (something to do with pitch angle?) but the first relates to length in inches, right?

FYI, the second figure refers to how far the prop travels thru the air in one rev.  ~~

edit: theoretically of course.
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Hands0n

The following may help understand pitch a bit better. It was originally written to discuss marine propellers, but the same applies for aero props.

Pitch is defined as "the distance a propeller would move in one revolution if it were moving through a soft solid, like a screw through wood." For example, a 21-pitch propeller would move forward 21 inches in one revolution.

Think of a propeller as you would a car';s axle ratio. The lower the ratio, the more pulling power from a standstill. The same is true with a prop. The lower the pitch, the better your hole-shot. However, this comes at a price: top speed. The lower pitch makes the engine reach maximum rpm at slower speeds.

Conversely, a higher pitch will deliver greater top speeds, but slower acceleration. Be aware that lower-horsepower engines can bog down if fitted with a propeller with too high a pitch and diameter, and that can wear heavily on internal engine parts.

So a 10x4.5 prop suggests that it will move 4.5 inches in a single revolution (in that "soft solid").  An indication of its pulling power. The lower the ratio the greater its pulling power, the higher the ratio the greater its top speed but slower acceleration (like pulling away in a car in gear 2 or 3).
--
Danny

Cloudbuster

Hi all .... I agree most UK dealers need a kick up the jaxxy !!! There approach is very poor when it comes to customer relations, the point of high margins i am afraid is just down to the cost of being in business in the UK. We are fleeced in every direction from fuel to rent etc this is why we are struggling on the world stage to compete !!! Heres a prime example ... Last week i approached three local engineering companies to produce a component for me. Lowest quote was £7.40 highest quote was nearly £9 ... I then sent same drawing to a chinese company who quoted 92p for the same item !!! What am i to do ????

Regards rob
life is too short to worry about what others think !!!

[url="//www.skynamite.co.uk"]www.Skynamite.co.uk[/url]

dyls

Buy British. :whistling:
If you get customer care outside of the UK you are lucky. :notworthy:
In reality your';ll just wind yourself up expecting the same standards worldwide. :frantic:
That said I would/will buy imports but I  never expect  good after sales. :whistling:

It';s a pay-off of price versus customer care.

The best of luck to " Nautilus " .
I think you prove my point, there';s really nothing else you can do.

Always use Paypal for security if not for after sales .
Stay safe
Dyl

ZMR250+Naze-acro,Turnigy 9x, (FPV) Phil built (FLYAWAY)
550      +APM         ,    "-"       ,   "-"   Peter built
X525(Cut to 400)+KK2+Futaba 6EX (Crashed)